1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Travel BS Thread

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by amaes, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2017 at 9:57 PM
    glorifiedwelder

glorifiedwelder IG= @Liquid_Torch

Member:
    First Name:
    jason
    Santa Clarita, ca
    Vehicle:
    double cab trd sport

You've gotta remember that have twice the travel you do. They can afford to be softer. When you have less than 8" or uptravel it has to be stiff enough to only use that full 8" in extreme conditions. If it was soft enough for comfort on the street it wouldn't handle anything in the dirt. I'm sure calving will make it ride better off road but if it drives like an mt truck on the road be happy. Once you've driven a truck with zero road manners you'll enjoy the predictability and crispness of a truck that doesn't feel like it's gonna lay over on you in every turn

2. Jul 30, 2017 at 10:07 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Yeah also like you said, let your springs/coils break in...it'll ride alot better once that happens, combined with a couple tuning runs and you'll enjoy the truck alot more.

erok81 likes this.
  3. Jul 31, 2017 at 4:39 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    @erok81 this needs to happen. I think it is safe to say that any perspective you can get at this point will give you some direction. Whether that means you have someone ride with you and tackle some speed bumps or you get in their LT ride...either way you need someone who has LT to ride with you and vice versa to reach a common ground. Also, feeling the suspension cycle on a valved ride will surely give you more closure about if that is worth staying the course to achieve. Shit I would take up Volcom's offer if I was local just to see how a DMZ pack/set up rear feels like so I could have some sort of expectation. Im sure at this point, any clarity on this situation is well worth it to get you more educated on your current dilemma.

4. Jul 31, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    tubbsisland

tubbsisland I took snowtanks beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona
    I miss the days when @jberry813 would call people out in here for stupid questions, now he's too busy modding or whatever those ban hammer wielding yahoos do.

Make LTBS great again! :oldglory:

5. Jul 31, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    FlapJack935

FlapJack935 i member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Abq New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Trophy Truck
    Sick Gnar Trophy Truck Tacoma and King Ranch Raptor Killer
    idk what those expo guys do.. too much RTT setting up.. i member when he called people out haha

anthony250f and Basikbiker like this.
  6. Jul 31, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.

[​IMG]

7. Jul 31, 2017 at 1:18 PM
    ls1 prerunner

ls1 prerunner Internet Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    19 Golf .:R & 11 4x4 TRD LT S/C
    TRD S/C, Camburg LT, DMZ SUA, SAW Shocks in all four corners, Glassworks hood, fenders and Bedsides, 35" Toyo MT, KMC Enduros
    Probably too stiff. Maybe 12/08 would help out.

Camerond05 and Boomkanani like this.
  8. Jul 31, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    [​IMG]

9. Jul 31, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Happysmiley

Happysmiley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabien
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    89 pickup 87 pickup 2016 4runner
    @erok81

I think you can valve your rear bypasses way softer and it will feel great.

You have an air bump plus your shocks bump zone after the bypass tubes.

You are close to a 1:1 ratio giving your shocks a lot of leverage for damping.

Also your shocks are prerun series with small diameter bypass tubes that flow less than other shocks.

I would definitely run thinner shims. Maybe 10/08

If that isn't soft enough you could try and flutter the big diameter comp shim with a single smallest diameter 8 shim for a light crack pressure and widen/shorten the shim fulcrum width and height (removing some of the small diameter shims and any small diameter spacers from the base of the stack) and use a rate plate (wide/thick diameter washer between the shock shaft and comp valve stack) if you needed any help on the big hits/high shaft speed stuff.

Long comp tube fully open
    Short comp tube start with half open
    Rebound tube start close to fully open

Read up on valving on desert rangers. Good thread over there, can't remember the name or link though.

A flutter is putting a small diameter shim between two big diameter shims so one can flex a little and let a small amount of oil flow till it hits the next big diameter shim down and now the whole shim stack needs to flex to allow more oil flow.

Good for chatter washboard and low shaft speed stuff.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. Jul 31, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    TC yota

TC yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Escondido
    Ha
    10 on compression with a flutter and tubes open is gonna be very soft, he will probably like it for the street, but that's way soft for off roading.
    I do agree with everything else, I guess it just depends how soft he wants to go

Dalandser and stumbles like this.
  11. Jul 31, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    If I remember correctly I think as a baseline fox usually sends them out at 12/10. Can someone confirm that as the baseline? Having trouble remembering between the front coilovers and bypasses. But yeah 15/10 seems a bit stuff I had my bypasses valved at the baseline to start out as tim at dmz recommended. It was decent with no tuning (obviously not perfect, but not horrible).

ls1 prerunner likes this.
  12. Jul 31, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    MadTaco461

MadTaco461 BRO runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    CA
    Vehicle:
    99 turbo 5 lug long travel
    Kinda stock
    My buddy is running 15/10 in his 2nd gen dmz rear, but he caged.
    Does pretty well in the desert.

Kinda fun to watch around the 2 minute mark if you are bored. GoPro really flattens the terrain. Sound is garbage FYI
    https://youtu.be/2YbAuVODwAw

13. Jul 31, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    Happysmiley

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabien
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    I'm suggesting that soft because of king prerun small tubes and start-stop-start tube layout unlike fox/saw dual running comp tubes plus he has an air bump.

Going from full stacks of 15/12 to full stacks of 12/08 won't feel that different.

There is not enough bypass in the single small diameter bypass tube for a 1:1 ratio so you have to help it out on the piston, hurts the bump zone a little but pulling the small diameter shims and using a rate plate to limit port flow on big hits and the fact that he has an air bump, it should work fine.

Tubes can be closed up for off-road or carrying more cargo if needed and fully open for street

We aren't talking about a dedicated caged off road truck here, no bedcaged daily driver truck with a bolt on front kit is gonna be hitting 3 foot whoops at 70 mph no matter how you valve it.

A leaf sprung race truck is a whole different animal.

That being said, everyone has there own opinion and ideas on valving, I like trucks to feel as smooth as possible, some people like to valve stiff so they can hit the gnarliest sections they can find.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    erok81, Dalandser, LTDSC and 3 others like this.
  14. Jul 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    Happysmiley

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabien
    Northern NV
    Vehicle:
    Brand and tube layout is everything here.

15/12 on fox triples Vs the same on king prerun shocks can yield a completely different ride quality.

Not because of the shims and we aren't even getting into piston design and port size but because of the amount of bypass available on the parallel running fox bypass tubes versus the start stop start king tube layout.

The fox piston can be valved a lot stiffer but still be soft in the middle of travel because of the amount of bypass having two tubes flowing instead of just the one. As a result it could feel softer than the king with stiffer piston valving.

I'm not interested in saying one style tube layout is superior to the other, just that valving is done a little differently depending on tube layout style.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  15. Jul 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I tuned mine on fence line in Pismo. Not anything gnarly by any means, but a decent whup section sometimes. Took me the better part of an afternoon just running up and down, watching video or feeling it. I too do not know what King valved all my shocks as, they are due for a rebuild and I was just going to ask to up compression a little bit, as the front end bottoms out a little to easily and my long compression tubes are about 3/4 of the way closed up front. It rides tons better than when I first picked it up, and driving on the highway it's pretty smooth. Maybe someone with more experience would ride in my truck and tell me its garbage and help tune my truck even better, perhaps! But for me I'm pretty happy. I'd say it's tuned pretty well as all my Go Pro footage mounted to my sliders is butter smooth but the wheels are bouncing around like crazy.

16. Aug 1, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    ls1 prerunner

ls1 prerunner Internet Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    19 Golf .:R & 11 4x4 TRD LT S/C
    TRD S/C, Camburg LT, DMZ SUA, SAW Shocks in all four corners, Glassworks hood, fenders and Bedsides, 35" Toyo MT, KMC Enduros
    I valved my SAWs at 12/10 and they are pretty good at high speed stuff. Street feels very stiff unless I add weight in the back.

erok81 and txmxer[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Aug 1, 2017 at 2:15 PM
    snowsk8air2

snowsk8air2 how hard can it be?

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged TX Pro
    2011 S/C and basic mods
    And I ordered my rear LT. :anonymous: Dmz sua with their bolt in bed cage and some 2.5 triple bypasses from dsm. They say 15/10 valving with the weight of the plate bumper and spare on the tire gate.

18. Aug 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM
    TC yota

TC yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Escondido
    Ha
    It all really depends on how you drive, what terrain, how plush you want it. I've seen anywhere from 10-15 on compression with leafs, same trucks just different drivers. Shit on matt(lemowskis) truck we had to do 20's on comp to keep it from bottoming out, granted he was caged so more weight

Happysmiley likes this.
  19. Aug 1, 2017 at 10:09 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    no..don't worry. That is still harder.

However...lt rig..more of a PITA to fix as the explosions are..well..worse.

20. Aug 2, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    Y2kbaja

Y2kbaja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    05 Total Chaos Tacoma
    Total Chaos
    4x4 long travel axle question. I'm starting from scratch doing the prerunner to 4x4 conversion with TC 3.5 arms. What CVs, axles and boots do I need to buy? Can I buy Tundra axles from the wrecking yard and bolt in?

Products Discussed in

To Top