1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

long travel or 4x4

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BenJammn5, Mar 7, 2011.

?

Long travel vs 4x4

Poll closed Apr 6, 2011.
  1. Long travel

17 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. 4x4 mid travel

57 vote(s)
    73.1%
  3. Leave the truck alone

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. I love you Ben

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Mar 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD-Off Road PreRunner
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Probably what I would do is buy a 4x4 and swap my 1" uniball arms + 2.5 sway-a-way coilovers in (same shocks camburg uses). This setup yields about 10" of travel. I'd also consider a set of air bump stops to help dampen the up travel. :D

2. Mar 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    There ya go, look at the raptor, 11.2" of travel up front and they seem somewhat solid, of course that suspension is tuned specifically for that truck, but you get the point

3. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat-back with Spintech prostreet muffler, AFE Pro dry S intake, 16" SCS F-5, 3.5 BS, 305/70 GT Radial MT, King extended travel front/rear, 2" add-a-leaf, Maxtrack Spindles, Sway bar delete, DSM UCA, All Pro IFS skid, Cab mount chop, bed cab locks, Black badges, cali raised amber LED fogs, 6K FX-R Morimoto projectors with 55watt ballast, fog mod, cheap rear dust lamp from autozone, Hellas 500 behind grill, Color match Satoshi Grill, Hood scoop, rear bumper by BTF, color matched Glassworks bed caps, Wet Okole seat covers
    Yea those trucks are real solid. Like you said though, the raptors Fox shocks are tuned absolutely perfect. I have no doubt it would run circles around my suspension.

I thought about a raptor, but I'd want the 6.2 and then it starts to get costly. Then my mod bug would come out and I'd start swappin all the good raptor stuff.... soooo what's the point, plus instead of spending $78 for a full tank it would probably be around $100 which for me isn't practical. Flippin nice trucks though... kinda big too

4. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    Yeah man I say you go get that 4x4, and then throw on your current stuff on to it. It'll be a badass rig, and you save a lot of money compared to longtravel on either truck.

5. Mar 13, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    ^ true mang.
    I want a black one. Wouldn't happen till I graduate nursing school 3/2012...
    Ahhh, just gotta wait it out.

6. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    keep your truck and get a polaris rzr or yamaha rhino and spend some money on that.

that way you can have fun and if you break something you can still get tor work monday morning cause your truck wont be broken.

thats my plan, i'm done wasting money on my truck haha

side x sides are where it's at :D

7. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    I've driven a polaris around the dunes and found it to be rather boring as it didn't have the guts to power through the sand effectively. I really had to strategically pick my line carefully because of this. At the time I was driving a 4cyl 2nd gen frontier and it felt comparable to power/weight ratio. Now, I know you can pimp out a sidxside but still that turns into big money as those rigs are not cheap.

Wasting money on the truck.... I feel ya on that one!! hahaa

Totally off subject but how was/is your USAF experience? I'm thinking about going Navy or Airforce when I graduate. Not sure if you know anything about the healthcare side, but I'd be graduating with my BSN (Bachelor's of Science Nursing) and would be entering as a commissioned officer O-1, O-2 or whatever it is. Been looking at the military to pay off my school debt and at the same time it could be a good career for me as a healthcare provider.

Did you like it?

8. Mar 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    i loved my time in the military, i got paid to work out, shoot guns and jump out of planes. my training was brutal but the best time of my life. i'm a civi now and going to school. once i get my bachelors i'm planning on going back as an officer.

military is a great and once in a lifetime experience. if you want to do it then you def should. otherwise you'll prob regret it. it's always nice too to help getting your student loans paid off.

i dont know much about the healthcare field. i was sort of in it, but not really.

9. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    BenJammn5

BenJammn5 [OP] RN

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    right on matt. i'm really considering the military as an option, definitely wouldn't wanna regret it. Good luck in school!

btw your truck is sickness

10. Aug 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    TACOMA TIME

TACOMA TIME Member

Member:
    Pasadena
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Total Chaos Custom Long Travel
    Kings 2.5” Coil over and Kings Triple bypass, Deaver rear leaf springs, a whole bunch of stuff.
    4x4 almost always. It's a great convenience. Plus, Total Chaos has you covered with a lift down the road. Dude, a 4x4 taco will still go everywhere, plus prerun moderately stock. f-it.

11. Aug 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    bluetaco80

bluetaco80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    fullerton ca
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner dc sb longtravel
    Full engage longtravel front and rear
    x2 :eek:

12. Aug 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Really? Side by sides are pretty expensive too. More than the cost of a good used truck (play type of truck not the 4x4 he wants)

13. Aug 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

x2 my dad has more money in his rhino than i do my whole truck including the cost of my truck

Products Discussed in

To Top