1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longest heaviest trailer you'd tow through Mountain

Discussion in 'Towing' started by subnate, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Apr 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    subnate

subnate [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathaniel
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 trd with tow package
    Hey I'm sure this is asked somewhere on here, but I'm looking for advice from people who tow in hilly, mountainous areas, I won't be there all the time but I will be there sometimes. I want to know whats the max size and weight you would want to tow, I'm trying to find a trailer I can full time in, so bigger is better, the biggest I have looked at is a 24.6 fun finder and the rest are around 21-22. everyone in the RV forums says the truck can't handle it but I would like to hear first hand experience and what I truly can expect.

2. Apr 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    subnate

subnate [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathaniel
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    I saw everything about trailer weight nothing on length. I'm just interested in real world travel trailer towing. I'll look again maybe I missed it.

3. Apr 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2008, Black sand pearl, SR5, 4X4
    PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with Hella Black Magics, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.
    If you are in the hils alot I would stick around the 5000lb +-500 mark.

4. Apr 13, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Just out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    as for length as long as you stick to paved roads and make sure camp grounds are approved for 5th wheel size length doesent matter. I say that because i was at a campground last summer with the road into the camp site was insanely steep and had a 180 degree hairpin turn that defanitly limited the vehicles able to get there. Length all depends on your skill level. Weight is what you need to be concerned with

5. Apr 14, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    This can be a big deal depending on how comfortable you are with a trailer and how windy the mountain range you're traveling through is. If I was going to tow through a lot of mountain roads, I agree with borderbrat, 5,000 lbs. Also depends on the mountains you're talking about, Rockies or something like the Berkshires...

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    subnate

subnate [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathaniel
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    Hey thanks for the replies, the whole tale wagging thing is what I'm worried about and the rontal surface area compaired to mileage.

7. May 6, 2011 at 1:40 AM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    12' 3,500lbs pop up trailer with a Gen 1 V6 Preunner that had an aftrmarket hitch. We took it everywhere in the Sierra Nevadas.

8. May 6, 2011 at 1:42 AM
    SPORT

SPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    CA bred, currently living in York, PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    3" level lift 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    Yes we encountered the dreaded "wagging". Usually only experienced at freeway speeds. We have an inexpensive friction tool to limit it. Works well too.

To Top