1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Longtime Toyota Pickup Owner, Questions Re: '09 Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Climb14er, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mar 14, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Climb14er

Climb14er [OP] Member

Member:
    Have owned four Toyota pickup trucks since 1976, inc. three 4 x 4's. Currently have an 07 4Runner Sport V8.

Usually I would buy a manual transmission but I test drove two of the 09 access cab/regular bed 4 x 4 TRD Off Roads and felt the manual had a very long throw, and didn't feel as precise as the earlier five and four speed manual trannies.

Anyone else feel the same?

Plus the gearing on the manual gives a higher cruising RPM and lower gas mileage. Unbelievable for an auto to have better mileage than a manual! :confused:

Also I've been reading that there is an 'issue' a TSB re: the lowering of the actual weight capacity of the rear of the truck. Being that I'm going to put a Leer topper on the back, a 100R, the lowered weight capacity is a factor.

Anyone care to comment on this as being a detriment and can it be 'fixed' prior to my buying the Tacoma?

Also, any recommendations what to have done by the service dept. re: warranty or additional TSB's prior to putting the CASH down?

Great forum and appreciate the comments in advance. ;)

2. Mar 14, 2009 at 3:15 PM
    Climb14er

Climb14er [OP] Member

Member:
    I'll run these questions by the General Manager and Service Manager when I see them next week.

3. Mar 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    Maybe check the rear end gearing specs and see how the auto and manual compare.

4. Mar 14, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    tonyplanet

tonyplanet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendora, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    enough to get me there
    1. Gearing on the Manual is better for offroading/crawling than the automatic. Trade off - worst MPG; a rougher ride.
    I had an older Toyota p/u 93' 5-spd I-4, before they became Tacoma, and it was much smoother in shifting than the current V6 2nd Gen Tacomas.

2. Yes, the 09' have that reduced payload capacity. Benefit - smoother, comfy ride, less harsh. Trade off - Less payload.
    If you are that concerned w/ payload, expect to spend $300-$500 bucks for added leaf pack. Or if you can persuade Toyota/dealer to get it done under the TSB.

It comes down to what you want/need from the truck, if it's going to suit your needs. In my case it did. Have not yet needed that extra payload (I enjoy the smooth ride of the current leafs). I enjoy offroading my truck, the gearing on the manual is perfect what I do on the trails.

To Top