1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lookin for a TACOMA!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by garster, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Oct 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM
    garster

garster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey, so ive been looking at getting a tacoma for a while now and i have found a 98' trd ext with 260xxxkm, i was wondering how long do these actually last before they start having problems. and what are some things i should be looking at when i considering buying it. ive heard the rear leafs wear out around that point... what about engine though, my friend had same year reg cab and his egr valve was shot. guys asking 8000..

2. Oct 20, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Glendale, AZ
    hmmm 162k miles on a 98 for 8k.... seems high to me.... then again your in canada and i dont know values there.

only bit of info i can give you regarding 1st gens is that my father owns a 96 tacoma v6 xtracab and he has 170k miles on it with no problems... just replaced the timing belt and water pump and thats it.

Good luck and welcome.

3. Oct 20, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I would say with that many Km's or (160 k) 200 to 250 k is not out of reach.

4. Oct 20, 2011 at 1:36 AM
    kidrobot7

kidrobot7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma sr5
    well. there is no definitive answer to how long they will last, HOWEVER. getting to 300k miles (482,803km) is not unheard of. I have a manual 2001 sr5 access cab thats at ~107m thats only problems are from taking off road. The clutch is going to need replacing in mine with in the next 20k miles but that is mostly due to previous owner. A new frame was put on last year with fuel and bake lines replaced from the recall. My truck books for about 9k but check kbb.com for an approximate price you should reference. my advice is to have a mechanic look at it if you don't know what to look for. most will tell you if its a good buy for less than $50 but i would say (probably) a good price would be closer to $6000 USD

5. Oct 20, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    garster

garster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, but i guess as soon as i ask i bought, picked her up today!

[​IMG]

98' 5speed 3.4L, runs mint! wanted this truck for a long time, finally have it. Soo stoked. Huntin this weekend!

6. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    NFK

NFK Death Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Canada, BC, Vancouver Island, Victoria
    Vehicle:
    BLACK THUNDER
    Tiers 33/11.5 tiers Mickey Thompson,Wheels Mickey T Side Bitters 17” 3” Rev Tech Lift,Added Leaf Spring,Black Projector Headlights CCFL Halo’s / HID’S Blacked out tail light Mod,Grill craft Grill Top and Bottom Hella 500 Behind Gril,FJ40 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser Emblem Front Grill K&N Air Filter,TRD Emblem Lower Grill Bottom Right,Toyota Bug & Stone Deflector Toyota Skid Plate Rhino Lined,WeatherTech Window Visors AVID Step Up Sliders,Bushwhacker Pocket Style Fender Flares Key Hole Plugs Colour Matching,Tacoma Bed MattRear,Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod ( Key Hose Clamp) Leer 100XQ Canopy,Semi De-BadgedPainted Remaining Badges (black) FA-series Short Stubby Antenna Length: 8" TRex Eyelids,Wet Okole TRD Seat Covers Charcoal And Black With Center Console And Rear Pockets With TRD Emblem logo WeatherTech Floor Mats,48 LED Blue Dome Light
    sexy!

7. Oct 21, 2011 at 3:50 AM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
To Top