1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at 1st Taco - what do you think of this one?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 916carl, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Jul 26, 2015 at 2:57 PM
    916carl

916carl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    Afternoon Everyone!

So I'm getting rid of my money pit S10 and was thinking about getting something (not a full size truck) more reliable. Everbody I spoke to said said Tacoma. I've been reading forums and researching as much as I can.

I found one I like but have some questions and thought maybe you guys (and gals) might be able to help. For specific questions I'll post in threads already started that focus on those areas.

In general, what do you think of this truck, the asking price and is there anything specific I should look at/for? I checked it out today and it looks good. I'm going back tomorrow for a drive and possible negotiations.

2008 Tacoma Double Cab
    5 speed auto
    SR5, TRD Sport
    87k miles
    No mention of tow package but all the factory parts for the tow package seem to be there (will post pics of this in the tow thread)
    Asking $18900.

I've attached the CarFax report.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

image.jpg

2. Jul 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    QChawks

QChawks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB
    No issues

3. Jul 26, 2015 at 3:59 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Check the frame for rust.

Capt Jrod likes this.
  4. Jul 26, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    You can also join Toyota Owners at the Toyota website and enter the vin and it will tell you if the truck has been to Toyota for any reason.

5. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:27 PM
    916carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely check the frame for rust tomorrow.

Very prescient- I signed up there yesterday. After I did the service history was blank and I figured the system couldn't get the records. However, after reading your post I just went and looked again and found it had populated the data fields. It did bring up more questions than answers (isn't that always the way?!). I'll check with the dealer on the "electrical issue" and "windshield" fixes (really, no elaboration or explanation?), but wonder what the "extra care LOF" or "BOB" means?

image.jpg

6. Jul 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Doesn't it give you more info when you click on the date?

B0B http://media.fixed-ops.com/toy_campaigns/b0b.pdf

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  7. Jul 26, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    RugglesTarlek

RugglesTarlek Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    basic basic basic 14 AC
  8. Jul 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    916carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    I swear I'm usually sharper than this! I did NOT click on the date but just downloaded it as a pdf and reviewed it later (the pdf did not include the details). I went back to the website and clicked on the date and got more details for each service entry. The details for BOB was -BOB-BOB-BOB-BOB. I was thinking the service guy had been drinking until I clicked on the link you provided and see it is a code for a gas pedal/carpet issue fix. Thank you and a virtual beer for you!

:cheers:

9. Jul 26, 2015 at 10:07 PM
    916carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    Just finished reading the linked thread. Thanks for that. My loan will fund Tuesday so I have a few days to dig into this and see about lining up a visit to an independent mechanic. Thing is I sorta know a guy who is a Toyota mechanic, but not that well. We're in the same car club (not for Tacos). I'm not sure I feel comfortable calling him up and asking a favor. May just look for a shop close to the selling dealer.

On another note: the dealer has the truck Carfax report listed with the truck (pic of the report is in my 1st or 2nd post above). It has an entry "Accident Reported" but no details. Clicking on it does nothing. Is this a basic report? Will I get details if I pay for a report myself?

10. Jul 26, 2015 at 10:12 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    You're welcome. Good you're doing research. It appears to be a Cali truck so no rust issues to worry about. I usually skip vehicles with accidents though.

11. Jul 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Is it just the pictures or the grill does not match the paint? The carfax provided is the actual carfax and does not go into details about the accident. My guess is that it was front end damage as less than a month later from the accident, electrical system checked and alignment done with mileage at 9K. Typically an alignment is not done until at least 20K miles at the earliest at normal usage. That truck actually came from over here and serviced at the local dealership. Norwalk Toyota offered it for sale at $42K and Roseville Toyota picked it up and listed it as certified used. I would carefully inspect that truck if you really want it. Possibly bring it to a local body shop and have them inspect it.

[​IMG]

12. Jul 27, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    916carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB TRD Sport SR5
    I saw the trail of where the truck has been and had planned on stopping at Roseville Toyota today to see if they could give me any more info. Other than inspecting the truck thoroughly I can't figure a way to get more info on the reported accident. The electrical issue (after the accident) was to "reprogram left rear tire pressure sensor" or something like that, according to the service notes. In my research I saw a TSB about the wrong tires giving bad air pressure readings, so maybe he had aftermarket rimes or wrong size tires installed.

At some point (after the accident) it was Certified by the Toyota dealer. After reading the issues one guy had with that in the link above I'm concerned that certification does not mean as much as I thought, however I think it is more an issue with the particular dealer he was working with and not necessarily the process. There were a few posts that warned about that dealers practices...

As far as the bumper color - is it possible that the different materials faded differently in the sun over the years? I looked at the fender liners, around inside the front of the engine bay, etc... and it looked stock and original, however I'm not a machanic and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  13. Jul 27, 2015 at 11:21 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Bring the truck to a body shop for just a quick look just to make sure everything's straight and where they should be. Certification doesn't really mean anything. Most dealerships want to get trades out on the lot as quickly as possible so everything is rushed or overlooked.

14. Jul 27, 2015 at 11:53 PM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    CustomTacos Mafia!
    Nachos, Lemon Heads, My Truck Is Stock!
    Agreed. Carfax doesn't show everything, only whats been reported. I almost bought a car that had a "clean" Carfax from a reputable dealer . Did some searching and found out the car was actually sold at an auction with flood damage. If you are unsure always get it inspected.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top