1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking at getting a cai

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by mkerros, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Nov 11, 2008 at 5:00 PM
    mkerros

mkerros [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jacksonville florida
    Vehicle:
    06 d/cab long bed
    Im looking at getting a cai for my taco ive heard that the ones with the plastic hoses dont keep the air cold. I was just wondering about that cause from what it looks like thats what the trd one is made out of. Any help on this would be great.

2. Nov 11, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    Well there are plenty of CAIs to choose from but I would say stick with AFE, URD, TRD (I have it and love it), and Trueflow. The information on these CAI is unlimited on this site. Also keep the idea open that you could just do the AFE pro dry drop in/remove secondary filter route which is cheap and still effective. Good luck with the decision, the amount of information can make it hard sometimes haha

3. Nov 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM
    HILOTOY

HILOTOY HILOTOY

Member:
    From Big Island
    Vehicle:
    05 trd 4wd off road,tow pack
    +1 TRD CAI...........have it and love it:D

4. Nov 11, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    PwRTRIp_Xr

PwRTRIp_Xr Active Member

Member:
    TRD CAI..... FTW!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

5. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:35 AM
    mkerros

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jacksonville florida
    Vehicle:
    06 d/cab long bed
    Cool thanks guys. I was wondering if any of you could post pics of you stock engine bay before you put ur intake in i have an 06 and the airfilter is strange ill try to post a pic of it but im just wondering if its stock or some type of cai. its got a plastic pipe that runs from the side of the engine bay to the engine were the airfilter is attatched. Thanks for the help.

6. Nov 12, 2008 at 9:23 AM
    dabighi

dabighi Well-Known Member

Member:
    it should run to your passenger side fender.the stock and the trd(not sure bout the rest) draw air in from the fender well. i have the trd and love it. just know the afe makes the trd only afe labels it as their stage II si. look around on different sites and im sure you can find good prices on them.

7. Nov 12, 2008 at 5:45 PM
    kris219

kris219 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    miami
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd
    spindle lift with dakar leaf pack, blacked out headlights and tailights, satoshi, debadged, HID headlights n fogs, flowmaster 40 single in dual out
    i have a question. i don't really know much about a cai other than theres a lot of pros and cons. ive been trying to look for the perfect cai that sounds good, gives you better gas mileage, and doesnt cost a fortune. im not really that interested in hp gains but its a plus anyways. so im overwelmed by all the choices and dont know which one to pick.

any recomendations?

8. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    Well to help break it down for you, most every CAI will sound good (I hear Trueflow XDI sounds really good, but i love my trd sound), and the thing about mileage is it most likely is capable of giving you 1-3 more mpg but people find they like the sound the intake makes (myself included) and to reach that sound requires higher rpm...you get the picture haha

9. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    just take out the sec air filter, get a good drop in filter like the afe pro dry s, and you'll be set....skip an expensive intake. you'll get good mileage gains with just a filter, and you wont have to drive in the high rpms to get the benefits, much like a cai.............soundwise....it may be a tad louder, but with the box still closed, it'll still be pretty quiet. just my .02:)

10. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    How exactly does a CAI on our trucks work anyway. From what I know the TRD keeps the intake in the same location in the wheel well.

The only way I could foresee you gaining anything from an intake on these trucks would be the URD which puts the intake in far to vulnerable a place for anybody who wheels to consider.

11. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:24 PM
    kris219

kris219 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    miami
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd
    spindle lift with dakar leaf pack, blacked out headlights and tailights, satoshi, debadged, HID headlights n fogs, flowmaster 40 single in dual out
    does the TRD sound ricey at all?

12. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    If you are running a 1GR Taco, it's hard to sound ricey. Our Motors with add ons are just high reving agressive beast. Now the 4 Bangers might, but none the less it aint a V8 sound but damn more fun to play with, IMO!!!:cool:

13. Nov 12, 2008 at 9:42 PM
    mkerros

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    jacksonville florida
    Vehicle:
    06 d/cab long bed
    hanks guys doesn't really help my taco sounds stock but my airfilter runs to the fender. I seen an 03 trd with stock but doesn't look like mine I'll post pics when I get my cammera working. So that's why I was wondering cause I thought. It was stock but it doesn't llook that way. Sorry bought the spelling and stuff I'm writing this on my iPhone

Products Discussed in

To Top