1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at getting a first gen.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by silverstar, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:22 AM
    silverstar

silverstar [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Hello everybody, I currently have a nissan titan 4wd on 35" STT's and due to a recent move/job change my wife and I don't make the money we did before and my titan is killing us between the payment and gas. I was originally looking at getting a second gen taco but really like the looks, reliability, simpleness and better trail performance of the first gen tacos and I've managed to find a few really nice ones with under 100k miles for mid teens in my area. They are all the ext. cabs(which I prefer because they have a more useful bed and it's just my wife and I) with the 3.4's and the trd offroad package(which I also really like because of the rear locker which I would be doing the grey wire mod right away on! lol). From what I've read on here as long as basic maint. is done along with the timing belt every 90k or so that the 3.4 is easily a 200+k mile engine. My only questions are is it possible to get around 20mpg out of an auto 3.4 with 265/75's (A/T for now) on the highway if I keep it around 65mph? Right now I struggle to get 15mpg@65mph in my titan(I'm assuming it's this winter blend gas because it used to average 17-18 at around 70mph with the same tires in the summer). Also what gears are in the auto 3.4's? And I remember reading on here that in the second gens the auto V6's will actually get a little better mpg than the manuals because of a little taller gearing, is it the same with the 3.4's? I love to hit the trails in my truck (mainly rausch creek) and even as nice as my titan is I have no doubts that a first gen trd taco would walk ALL OVER my titan on the trails and it's smaller size means I could actually venture onto the blues at RC instead of staying on the greens due to having a "trail whale" as I've come to dub my titan. lol. Thanks for any help or tips ya'll can offer. I'm looking to mainly save by going to a much smaller payment but if I could get 4-5mpg better it would just be a nice bonus. Also, I'm assuming that the 3.4 tacos run on regular right? I don't wanna get anything that takes mid or higher because gas is already ridiculous enough! That's why I have my hypertech in my titan set on 87 tune instead of the 93. I will miss the raw, insane power of the titan though!:(

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:33 AM
    Camo23

Camo23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Dade City,Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4
    Not much yet
    personally i dont do enough highway drivin to tell you that you will get 20 mpg but i do get around 17-18 in city so yea. and asfor the gears mine has 4:10s stock.

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    silverstar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Thanks for the replies guys! Yeah I know about the frames but I'm not too worried because at least toyota was man enough to stand up and take responsibility and replace the frames at no charge for 15 years so the model years I'm looking at (01-04) is still covered for quite awhile yet. As far as the head gaskets I thought that was a 3.0 and real early 3.4 problem? With that kind of mileage in town or mixed I'm sure 20 would be possible at 65mph or so. So even the auto's had 4.10's in the first gens? That's awesome! I'm pretty sure on the second gens the autos had like 3.92's or something. Still not horrible gears but not as good as 4.10's, especially when you get into the 32's and 33's.

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    orieo

orieo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab
    Deck plate mod, magnaflow muffler, 20% front tinted windows, HID Projector retrofit
    Yes it's very easy to get 20+ at 65 with the truck you described. I get around 17-18 in city but in the summer I get around 18-19 city. On the highway i have gotten 21-22 if I keep it around 65.

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xcab 4x4 TRD
    this is pretty much what I get as well.

6. Apr 8, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    With that exact same setup, I cannot get better than 18mpg (17.5 to be exact) at 65 mph average... I've never bought the 20+ mpg here as I've owned two of these now, and got the exact same mpg in both.

7. Apr 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Good choice on your part OP, & the info you get is pretty accurate, the 3.4 is a fantastic engine with great engineering, peppy, damned near bullet proof, the only draw back I've found is the mileage, these motors were never known for sipping gas so the 19-20 mpg is prolly what to expect which is still better than the Titan you have now (bigger truck of course) But as far as cost of ownership/operation its no contest, 1st gen wins hands down, I have a friend that owns a shop & he has shown me 2 engines (3.4 V6) with over 200K that still have factory crosshatching (honing) marks in the walls of the cylinders, unbelieveable !!! Not to mention the incredible resale value these trucks have.

Mine is rolling up to the 160K mark & honestly, it runs as well now as it did the day I drove it off the lot. Do it right the 1st time with a 1st gen buddy !!! ya won't be dissapointed....;)

8. Apr 8, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    silverstar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Awesome, thank you guys. I figured one would be able to hit 20 or right around there with a 3.4 as long as they kept the speed down. I know trucks really start cutting into the mpgs at higher speeds due to wind resistance and all. Yeah I really do prefer the first gens due to their simplicity and ruggedness. They were still a "truck". The only part I really do like about the second gens though is the swing out rear doors for the extended cab, that is such a nice feature. Thank you all again for the replies.

9. Apr 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    I typically get right at 19-20mpg on the highway. City driving though I tend to get about 15-16mpg. I bought my truck with the 3.4L at 80,000 miles, now I am at 105,000 miles and I have had to repair absolutely nothing. Just maintenance. And from what I have seen on here these motors will most definitely last over 200k pretty easily with regular maintenance. If you can find one with service records, that would be nice too.

10. Apr 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    james

james In over my head...

Member:
    Friday Harbor, WA: Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma V6
    That IS impressive. As for getting 20+ MPG on the highway, yes, it's doable. I've got a 3.4 with 158,000 on the clock and here in Alaska we certainly have the nasty winter fuel. I get 19.6 MPG combined highway and short trip mileage. I'm getting almost 21 on the highway. Here's what I did to get that:

1. Replaced stock air filter with a high flow aftermarket air filter
    2. Replaced all the fluids, oil, front and rear differentials, transfer case – everything – with synthetics (which is easy to talk oneself into up here because of the extreme cold). By itself, this added 1 mpg right off the bat.
    3. Road tires (31 x 10.5) inflated to 35 psi or so.
    4. Took the rack off the top of my camper (.2 mpg).
    5. Installed an UltraGauge to monitor my driving habits
    6. Drive "like there's an egg under my gas pedal."
    7. I back it off to 55-58 miles per hour. This makes an indisputable difference. People go around me. I wave.

So, I expect to get better mileage yet when I drive down from Alaska to Colorado and back this summer. I'm shooting for 22 MPG. That might be a stretch, but I'll try.

***UPDATE***
    Driving today from Healy south to Anchorage with no tailwind, I slowed it down to 2000 rpms and locked it in at 53.4mph. My mileage shot up to 24.3. I was amazed. We'll see what she does on the drive back up on Saturday.

To Top