1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at getting the volant cool air intake for my 2012 4.0

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Whats up everyone, haven't posted on here in a long time... I've been concidering getting a volant cool oil air intake with the ram air option as well as the powercore dry flow air filter and pre filter volant offers... Just wondering if this is a good product since TRD doesn't offer the cold air intake for the 12's and 13's because of the secondary b.s. air pump for startup emmissions and volant intuitively found a way to relocate it. So yeah I want to get all the good options for this intake like I mentioned b4... I don't think it would hurt the engine since TRD offers a similar design cold air intake for the older years of the 2nd gen... So thoughts...?? No b.s. ... I'm not looking for any massive power gains... I just want the looks and induction noise.. Thx again.

2. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Volant is the best CAI for you then.

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    You don't believe it would cause a lean condition? And do u think i would gain any mpgs lol? Id be happy with one mpg lol

4. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    It won't do anything except make your engine bay a little cleaner and your intake noise a little louder. If you really want power get a supercharger and a cat back exhaust.

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I have a trd cat-back that I really like, and I wish I had 4g's for a trd supercharger lol, and I figured the mass air flow meter would sort out any lean condition anyway right lol??

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    MGMTacolover55

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    floor Mats
    The maf shouldn't get messed up at all with he volant but if it does urd sells a maf calibrator.

7. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Alright cool... I guess I'll go tomorrow and price the setup from my local speed shop

8. Nov 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    The Volant "may" throw a lean code, or it may run lean, but not lean enough to throw a code, or it may be fine (helpful aren't I?).

Only way to know would be to use a Ultragauge, Scangauge, scanner of some sort to watch the fuel trims. The older Volants, not sure if the 12-13 model has been fixed or not, had a different cross section width at the MAF sensor then stock. the ECU depends on the cross section being the same to calculate the amount of air actually entering the engine, based on the MAF reading. I.e., air entering = MAF reading * cross section. If the cross section is different, then the air calc made by the ECU is off some amount. Note that I say "air", but in ECU terms, it's O2 grains entering.

9. Nov 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Hm, alright cool. I still haven't had a chance to run.down to the shop yet but ill also ask my question theres there too. And i watched a youtube vid last night of a guy who had TRD cai and he got a lean code from a trd (factory) cold air intake but that was because he pushed the intake tube too far into the silicone connector and actually blocked the PCV flow off with the intake tube lol... I mean ive have CAI's on nearly every vehicle i've ever owned and never had a lean code whatsoever. Thank you for the reply tho!

10. Nov 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Just keep in mind that you are talking to SALES people. Is making the right decision for you their highest concern, or is the sale....

I would suggest asking them if they know about the pre-12 version's problem with lean codes. If they say no, then either they are uninformed, or they are playing dumb. Either way, you then at least know that they are more in it for the sale and you can take their advice for what it's now worth.

11. Nov 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    Jrahn0822

Jrahn0822 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB
    I have the set up that you want but it is in a 2007, it doesn't throw any codes from the ECU. When I installed it I did disconnect my battery to make it "relearn" to try to see if that would cause for it to "for sure" not bring lean codes. According to my Scanguage I am running exactly where I should in my A/F ratios.

12. Nov 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I'm willing to bet that you won't see any noticeable difference in power or mpgs. Your truck essentially has a CAI installed already. All you will hear is the noise and that's about it. Well that and the sucking of money of your wallet.

13. Nov 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    What are the fuel trims though? The AF ratio is not what throws the lean code. When the short term + long term fuel trims >= 30, this throws the code. If your fuel trims are more then low single digit you may still have a issue, but it's just not "throw a code" yet.

The AF ratio should stay in range as long as the fuel trims can correct it, but again, once those trims reach 30, it's code time.

14. Nov 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    I got the old style volant when i got a snorkel to aid in my waterproofing of the intake. i had a number of discussions with gadget at that time (i also have the MAF calibrator). according to him, the issue has supposedly been fixed with the redesign of the intake tube itsself.

as for the scoop, everyone i've talked to who has that likes it.

the prefilter on the other hand will be overkill except for when you wheel or are driving on dusty or sandy roads. good to have for those conditions, but isn't going to do much for you day to day. might as well keep it off and not restrict the flow that small amount.

15. Nov 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    That is good news. It always amazed me that Volant allowed that design to continue un-fixed for so long.

16. Nov 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Hey everyone, thanks for all of your replies and input, it's all much appreciated, and I would suspect that volant fixed the issues they were having a couple years ago. As for the difference between setups between the 2007 and 2012-13 is that volant actually made a provision to relocate the secondary air pump (because 12' and 13' or the dummy years for emmissions) , other than Airpump provision the systems with or without the ram air scoops are identical lol... And the owner of the speed shop I go to is a family friend and he said he will not sell me the intake because for retail in his store is double the price I could get it off the internet. But if the maf counts and fuel trims are in check like you all saying I will order this kit sometime today and post pictures when I install it. And I'm just gonna get the pre filter anyway even tho it's alittle overkill ... U can never be too safe lol.. And like I was saying, I just really miss the induction noise.. And my gf is getting me a TRD quick shifter for Christmas this year.. So the intake should just bring it all together haha

17. Nov 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    just got off the phone with summit. the volant kit #382406 and Pre filter #51922 have been ordered :)

18. Nov 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Volant is ok, I've read a lot of issues with it even with the 12-13 that's why I went with a AFE Stage 2 Si with the Volant scoop. Best of both worlds for my future TRD blower upgrade :thumbsup:

20130714_173126.jpg
    20130714_173141.jpg
    20130714_173154.jpg

19. Nov 20, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thats so weird... Idk why volant would have any issues if ur not having any with the afe... My volant kit is nearly identical to that afe kit you have lol

20. Jan 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Well I got aggravated waiting over 2 months for volant so I cancelled my order with them and got an aFe setup.. Their stage 2 pro dry s system.... its an awesome system and I really liked how they made that wire harness extention for the secondary air pump.... simple and intuitive

Products Discussed in

To Top