1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at lifts...need help and opinions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by luco1029, May 8, 2012.

1. May 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM
    luco1029

luco1029 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Timberland Mica
    Straight Pipe, Readylift 3" Spacer, 17x9 Matte Black XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3, Plastidipped emblems, Pioneer Double Din, OEM Roof Rack, N-Fab Side Steps
    I have a 2009 DCSB that i would like to lift 2-3 inches. Id like to have the front end either level or slightly higher than the rear end. Not sure how much i can spend, im in the process of saving up and was trying to get an idea of how much i need to save to get a good lift that wont ride rough or damage anything over time. I know almost nothing about lifts, so i need all the help i can possibly get. Not looking for a lift that helps with offroading, because i dont offroad. I just want my truck to sit a little higher. Ive been browsing lifts and found this: http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/52907.html

Any input would be appreciated. Is this lift any good?

Also, if anyone wants to tell me what lift would be good and the prices on it, that would be much appreciated as well.

2. May 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Winter is Coming

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Carlisle
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 1.75", 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Can't speak for the lift your looking at. Bilstein 5100 shocks can give you 2.5" in the front while using the add a leafs in the rear to get you close to what you want. 3" will leave you with needing front UCA's and possible vibrations in your drive line. I have 2.5" on the front of mine and will need to eventually get UCA's because I can't get the caster within spec.
    Shocks are about $170 and my leafs were about $90.
    I ended up with about 2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. Close to being level with about an inch or so difference.

3. May 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    luco1029

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    Straight Pipe, Readylift 3" Spacer, 17x9 Matte Black XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3, Plastidipped emblems, Pioneer Double Din, OEM Roof Rack, N-Fab Side Steps
    Thanks for the information. Sad part is, all of that is like chinese to me and what you just told me sounds like this:

If I have 10 apples, and you smell like red, how many kittens will grow on the moon during summer if an alien planted them there and you need to go to the bathroom traveling 15 miles per cardboard box?

Answer: Purple, because it smells better than 9.

If anyone can explain what he said in deeper detail, greatly appreciated.

4. May 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    you have quite a few ways to go to get what you want. Some are better than others. Most everybody would agree that you stay away from body lifts and blocks on your suspension.

I just bought a complete Old Man EMU suspension. It should raise me about 2.5-3 inches. Cost is about 1350 for parts. It includes front and rear shocks, coils, rear springs(Dakar springs) and various bits to help with vibration and stuff. Pretty solid set up.

You will hear people talking about bilistiens(aka billies). These will raise your front end and are adjustable if you want to have a differant ride height.

You can do an add a lead(aal) to give you some extra lift, but a new leaf pack would probably be better in the long run. If you stay in the 2.5-3 inch range you can use your stock shocks, I believe.

There will be some people with a lot more thorough info come along to help you in a bit.

5. May 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT AK SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Roxy '95 Manual 4x4
    SAS locked geared
    ome ultimate lift kit from toytec is my recommendation with a set of UCAs (light racing, Total Chaos, Camburg, etc)

EDIT: that tough country lift is one of the cheapest ways to lift a truck :cool:

6. May 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Winter is Coming

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Carlisle
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 1.75", 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Bilstein 5100 shocks are adjustable front shocks you can get. They adjust from 0", 3/4", 1.75", and 2.5". These are the lift options you can get from these shocks. You can only do this for the front, not the rear. This isn't your only option for lifting in the front but is probably the most economical and the bile reins are great shocks.

Most people will say to stay away from spacers in the front.

For the rear you need to use an add a leaf or leaf packs. They are the bow shaped pieces that are pictured on the site that you are looking at for a 3" lift. You can also use blocks in the rear that go between the rear leaf spring and the axle.

As for vibrations when you lift your vehicle, your driveline angles change. This can cause vibrations in the drive line after lifting it. This seems to be different for everyone.

Caster is the angle of the suspension. When you lift it to 2.5" and past, your caster will go out of spec and the front end will feel loose and squirrelly. The way to correct this is to put new upper control arms in the front. They allow the shop to get your caster back into spec. They are pricey however.

I would say just read up on all this on this site. There is lots of things you can learn here. This site is basically what I used to make my decision on want I wanted to get suspension wise.

7. May 9, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    You want a lift that rides nice and not meant for off roading? My head assplode.

8. May 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony Space for rent

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Do you have a guess as to what your budget is?

If you give us that we can better help you, but from the sounds of it billy 5100's and an AAL would probably do good for you...

Or you could go with the OME (old man emu).

EIther choice is good and both have great reviews all over tacomaworld....

Also i would call Downsouth Motorsports (888) 973-6967. They are very helpful and can answer your questions mention you are a member here and you will get a discount :D

9. May 9, 2012 at 2:11 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Toytec gives a discount as well. I didnt realize it until I ordered mine on the phone and they gave it to me. Saved me about $80.

10. May 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    luco1029

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
  11. May 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    These would work for you just fine. You could use your stock coils on these shocks and not have to have anything else on the front. Your rear would need a new leaf pack or aal. You would be best served by getting a new pack. Dakars by old man emu are popular. I think Alcan and a few others also have good stuff.

Toytech has a kit you could get that would have these shocks and an aal for about $640. I would recommend going to toytec or wheelersoffroad and looking at some of thier kits. They will give you an idea. Those billies you are looking at will work, but dont look like the best price. If you call either place, they will be able to give you quite a bit more info.

12. May 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    luco1029

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
  13. May 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I read all that and to me it sounds like "herp derp derp de herp." :confused:

I'd suggest just putting the wallet away and spend a little time in front of the computer. Google up some "how suspensions work" - watch some YouTube - browse all the suspension stickies here on TW - just get a serious clue before you spend hard earned cash. Else you're gonna get something you didn't count on and then you'll be spending even more money. Which, is good for the economy, BTW. Just sayin.

14. May 10, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    luco1029

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    I am spending a lot of time in front of the computer...obvioiusly...im sitting here asking what would be good and finding out what is good and bad. Thats spending time in front of the computer. Just Sayin.

15. May 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    yeah, that is what I am talking about. If you get a kit, you know everything will work together. With your limited knowledge, this would probably be the best thing, unless you call one of the places and let them suggest things for you.

Lots of people run billies on here. I dont know who runs that exact setup though.

I would advise against the spacers just to keep you from possibly having to have new upper control arms. Apparently 3" is the limit give or take a little depending on the vehicle. I am hoping I dont have to have them on mine. I am going to install my OME kit on Monday hopefully and see what they say when I try to get it aligned.

If you want to look at an OME setup, OZ runs it on his and has some info on dakar measurements that might interest you.

It all depends on how much you want to spend as well. If I were you, I would save up and get a full kit to redo your suspension so that you know everything is right and there isnt much guesswork. Might save you time and money in the long run and make you happier. If you want to part it out and pick differant components, I would suggest doing some researching before you do much. And talk to a few professionals. Good luck.

16. May 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    luco1029

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    Well really id like to get a kit where i know everything is there like you said. Im a little new to all the lift things as i stated above so thats why im here really.

I also came on here so that if i were to end up parting out and picking different components, that someone who knows that they're talking about could tell me what different components would go together good and would help me save money in the long run and also make me happy.

Im trying to do as much research as i possibly can through my busy schedule so that i can find the perfect setup for what i want. Thanks for all the help everyone and if theres anything else anyone could tell me itd be greatly appreciated!

17. May 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT AK SnowroxKT

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Roxy '95 Manual 4x4
    SAS locked geared
To Top