1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at two DC Tundras

Discussion in 'Tundras' started by Gcsteve, May 11, 2020.

1. May 11, 2020 at 6:15 AM
    Gcsteve

Gcsteve [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    long island
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red sold, 2017 Inferno Sport Traded for a Honda w/ payload #1500
    Thinking of trading 17 Tacoma for one of these Tundra. First is Radiant Red OR with 4.6 column shifter with 52,000 miles. 4.6 is ok with me my trailer is only 3700 lbs and Tacoma pulls it fine. The second is a 5.7 limited Black with leather also DC but 87,000 miles. Both are same price. Both are 2016. Basically I can get either for my Taco plus 3k. I want more highway cruising comfort for my yearly cross country camping trips. I’m pretty sure mpg will be the same as I usually get 9-11mpg pulling camper in Taco. I like red better but black is really cool too. 4.6 has 35,000 less miles. Limited interior looks better but not that much of a difference. I see advantages to both types of shifters so that is equal for me. Any opinions welcome. I know either will be more comfortable than my Taco on the long drives. When I bought it new I though I would be doing shorter 3 to 4 hour trips not 6 week long excursions and find after a few hours I am squirming around looking for the right position that is never quite found.

Tibetan Nomad likes this.
  2. May 11, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    gipsyfetus

gipsyfetus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hell's Half-acre, KY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra DC 4wd
    3in Level, Rage Roof Basket, Yakima Roof Rack, Bug Deflector, Tint, AVS Vent Visors, Maglite 4D, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s
  3. May 11, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    Gcsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    long island
    Vehicle:
    That smooth ride is what I am after. I am torn because I do love my Tacoma. I am on a road trip now and it rides really nice and without complaint but the seating position is never just right. It drives me crazy. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs and this thing just never feels correct. Constantly adjusting. Just looking at the seats in the Tundra I can feel the comfort. Lol
    I did read the 4.6 is a quieter engine. Sounds good to me.

4. May 11, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    gipsyfetus

gipsyfetus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hell's Half-acre, KY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra DC 4wd
    3in Level, Rage Roof Basket, Yakima Roof Rack, Bug Deflector, Tint, AVS Vent Visors, Maglite 4D, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s
    I sold my 1st gen Taco, traded in my '10 VW Eos and got my Tundra over three years ago and have never looked back.
    There's some adjustment to be made on turns. It's a bit longer and wider than my Taco was. I'm 5'4" and 155 lbs and quite comfortable in the seats.
    The 4.6L is pretty quiet and has plenty of power for me. It's not a racer but gets me where I need to go, hauls a load of dirt or lumber easily.

Gcsteve[OP] likes this.
  5. May 11, 2020 at 3:12 PM
    Gcsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    long island
    Vehicle:
    I live on Long Island and parking and getting around town is a little tight but I did before with an Expedition. I think the comfort alone is worth the trade off. I am sure those 500 mile days will be much more enjoyable in a Tundra. Payload is another thing that I have wasted too much brain energy on. I am always hundreds of pounds over when camping. Payload of 4.6 is 1450 the Tacoma is 950. The 4.6 also has over 300lbs of torque which is plenty for what I do.

gipsyfetus likes this.
  6. May 18, 2020 at 5:06 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Max TRD Sport 4x4
    Not sure if you've made a decision yet or not, but have you driven both Tundras yet to see how they feel comfort-ability wise? I would think you'd enjoy the limited black one better. Expect towing mpg to be the same as the Tacoma. I wouldn't worry about the 35k extra miles. It's a toyota. They're just as reliable as the Tacomas.

7. May 18, 2020 at 5:24 AM
    Gcsteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    long island
    Vehicle:
    I am still in Florida. Every time I want to go home my wife says just one more week. Lol. I have to go home this week end. Lots of things to take care of. I have a Lexus RC350 that I bought 3 or 4 months ago that I can not even register until they open Motor Vehicles back up. So that’s a little frustrating. I have been driving all over northern Florida and I just got the Tacoma 50k service and alignment. It is riding so nice I do love it except the seating position in relation to floor and steering wheel. It just never feels just right. I am going to get the seat jack spacers and tilt t back to see if it helps. I can’t buy a new truck until Motor Vehicles opens and I can register it anyway. So what I am thinking now is to do nothing. I may go around and low ball everyone and maybe get lucky and if that doesn’t work I will try to show some love to the Tacoma and when the next Gen Tundra comes out I will be the Toyota 6 cylinder Turbo Guinea Pig for Tacomaworld and Tundras.com lol. I am also digging the 22 mpg I get in this part of the country.

To Top