1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a first bike, Suzuki SV650S vs Yamaha R1 1000

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by StaticFilter, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    Aj2488

Aj2488 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Wheaton, IL.
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 Double Cab 4.0 V6 4WD Black & Chrome
    Sorry to hear about your friend, Hunt. We hear these stories WAY to often

2. Jan 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    HUNT

HUNT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tommy
    Wildwood Ga
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double cab 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 set @ 0, OME 881,Wheelers 5-leaf, OME NitroCharger Sport shocks, 4-RUNNER LIMITED WHEELS, Duratracs, 265/75/16
    Thanks...Aj2488

3. Jan 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    The Suzuki SV650, SV650S, and V Strom 650 are great and reliable bikes, the problem is once that 90 degree engine breaks in its sounds terrible, sounds like a bunch of loose nuts and bolts are rattling around inside.
    The Suzuki Burgman 650 is more pracitable, its just as fast, can be used as a cross country touring bike, can haul a passenger, excellent wind and rain protection and it has enough of under the seat storage space to handle 4 giant bags of dog food.
    plus its automatic if you don't know how to use a clutch.

No, I don't own a Burgman, I own a Yamaha Tmax

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    SV650 - It's a V-twin (I believe) and torquey (buddy had a SV1000). And because it's a newer model with newer technology... I'd go with that.
    Bike tech advances every year.

The 1000RR is fast on the high end - being an in-line 4. At the same time, I am a Honda fan.

5. Feb 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    SVHANC

SVHANC Kermit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5sp 4cyl Access Cab
    Weathertech Floor Liners, Scangauge 2, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Rear Seat Headrests Removed
    I have a SV650 and it is one of the most fun street bikes I have ever ridden. I have ridden it at Road Atlanta as well as on 800mile days. It will do whatever you want it to, with the possible exception of posing.
    The SVRider forums will give you as many modification recommendations as you want to turn it into what you want.

I have been riding 20+ years and when you ride a liter bike through turns at a "spirited" pace you end up having to focus a lot on your back tire stepping out as you accellerate out of turns. Beginners I have seen in the mountains here wind up being a lot slower because they default to a turn and burn style rather than learning to hold corner speed and carve clean lines.

All that being said, it is more fun going fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike. I have a ton of fun fooling around on my TW200.

Products Discussed in

To Top