1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a good fireproof gun safe

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by kristonex, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Aug 15, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    kristonex

kristonex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    Anybody know a good place to find an inexpensive (5-$600 range) Fire gun safe like a 1 or 2 hour rated?? I only have a couple rifles, a few shotguns, and a few pistols. My problem is every local place I have been either has tiny box style safes or ginormous 30+ gun safes or they have smaller ones that aren't fire rated. I'm in maryland so any local place to check out would be good but i was thinking more of the online route. any suggestions for a good brand, website, or local store to check out. I really have no experience buying one of these. thanks

2. Aug 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
  3. Aug 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    kristonex

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    I do have some very high value guns and this is also going to double as the place to keep all my most important documents and such. So the fire rating is pretty important to my needs.

4. Aug 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    There's no such thing as a cheap good gun safe. I've looked.

5. Aug 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    a decent gun safe will start at about $1k. I have Liberty 30 that cost $1300. It's definately not the best but it is a good safe.

6. Aug 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    i got a liberty its rated for 45 min in a fire and it cost 1300. if you want 1 or 2 hours of fireproof time your gunna pay alot

7. Aug 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    most house fires are put out before 45 min of over 1500 degrees

8. Aug 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Buy a safe and then drywall the interior. That's all the fireproofing is.

9. Aug 16, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    kristonex

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Well yeah i guess it looks like i'm gonna have to just anti up a bit and go for the $1000 range then. That's probably the reason i couldn't find anything decent for the price range i was looking. Thanks for the input i did look at the liberty safes they looked pretty nice.

10. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Have you done any research at all?? THe longer the fire rating....the more $$$. The bigger the safe....the more $$$. The smaller & cheaper the safes - the easier they are for someone to open them (thieves).

So, surely you could find a $1000 safe that has 1 hour fire rating but you'll be lucky to put 5-10 guns in it (a guess). Do you have any important documents you need to store?

You ALWAYS want to get one that's BIGGER than you think you'll need.

We researched a lot of different brands. The Liberty stood out over the rest for cost, size, & warrantee. Their warrantee is top notch. In terms of theft.... Watch some Youtube videos of people actually (and rather easily) opening up gun safes. It's pretty depressing how easy some of them are to open.

We just recently ordered a Liberty Franklin 35. Still awaiting for it to be delivered (several weeks).

11. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    mak90

mak90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road 6 spd
    TRD Exhaust, TSB springs,Weathertech mats,Bed mat, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD Pro Suspension
    You ALWAYS want to get one that's BIGGER than you think you'll need

X2

12. Aug 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Nailed it(pun?)
    The difference in fire rating boils down to(another one?)how many sheets of Home Depot drywall are layered inside.
    BTW, paying extra only means the thieves or fire take a little longer to ruin or steal what's inside.
    I agree, buy bigger than you think you need.
    Do you have a Costco nearby?
    They have a decent safe for about $600.

13. Aug 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    kristonex

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    I think that the size I'm looking for will be sufficient. Just got married the wife is an avid hater of guns. Told her there's no way in hell I'm getting rid of any so we compromised and I'm just not buying any more:) Works for me I think i have a pretty rounded and useful collection if some shit goes down insurrection style. Or if somebody makes a fatal mistake of coming in my house in the middle of the night.

I am really considering this one at the moment.
    https://patriotsafe.com/quotCloset-Modelquot-18-gun-safe-2-hour-fire-1880-LEO-SPECIAL_p_2.html
    Still unsure if i like the electronic lock(failure is my concern). I'm thinking a dial is the way to go.
    lot more than i originally wanted to spend but it will do the job better and look better.

Products Discussed in

To Top