1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a not-so-standard Chili recipe....

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Janster, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm not much of a chili eater - my husband and I both hate beans.

If it weren't for the beans & some of the veggies (husband doesn't like onions or veggies)...we'd probably love chili!

So...we love meat, hamburger, itailian sausage, pepperoni, a meat & potatoes man kinda chili. Although...without the beans, wouldn't that be considered SOUP? :confused::eek:

I'm tempted to make some...someday. Just not sure what type of recipe to use without all the beans/veggy parts. Might seem pointless..... My husband likes stuff spicey. I'd rather have it mild and add hotness to it later....

Any thoughts for recipes?

2. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
  3. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Most Texas chili recipes don't include beans. I just did a Bing search for "Texas Chili recipes" and came up with a number of no-bean recipes. Hope this helps.

4. Feb 9, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I would've thought some of you food guru's would be into chili? No?

I'll check out more of the Texas recipes. I might try one and add some of my own ingrediants ....

At a minimum, I'll be forced to eat my own bad cooking...so I'll make a small batch!:eek:

5. Feb 10, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    ok..you are asking for a non standard version.

i just did this with a pork shoulder. you could use a (shoulder) chuck roast from a cow. i like full sized roast instead of smaller pieces and ground beef.

i get that dried red chili. full pods, you see in the ethnic section or better yet, a mexican grocery store. cut off the stem, open them up, dump the seeds. do maybe 10-15, i used 5 dried californians and 5 ancho. rinse them clean. dump them into a small pot full of boiling water. dump in a small peeled onion cut in half. when it is all soft..pull the chilis out, and the onion and dump it into a blender. add some of the water to make a med soupy mix. add pepper some salt, and some cumin. (i make tons of this and freeze it in two cup portions for future use.

ok..now take out a dutch oven..if it is beef pat it dry and brown it. when browned pull it out. then add some chopped onion, and saute until soft. pour in about 3 cups of your chili sauce, a small can of tomato sauce..(not pasta sauce)..get it simmering and put the beef back in. put the pot in the oven and braise(300 deg)until beef is super tender (3 hours)...pull it out and shred it. mix it with the sauce. if it is super fatty, i pull the meat out, wrap it in foil and chill it. i chill the sauce until i can yank the fat cap off. then warm it all back up and shred.

if it is pork you can skip the meat browning part. this comes out like pulled pork, or shredded beef chili..no beans, no veggies. unbelievable.

6. Feb 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yummooo...OH we like anything of shredded porky goodness. I'd be almost afraid to try your recipe because I'd be certain to make a mess of it!! But...the pork part is sounding splendidly awesome!:D

7. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    Bushmaster

Bushmaster Hookit on fonix rilly fer mee

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    silver 08 4x4 TRD sport
    DONT LIKE BEANS! :eek: .......hmmmmmm

well to me chili is like meatloaf, there are a 1000 + recipes out there and nobody seems to do it the same, but as said above the texas chili is a good place to start. just pick a few,mess around with them and in no time you will have something pretty tasty.........thats the best thing about cooking (next to shootin at critters) is it's so open ended

wish i could have been more help but i gotta go , got turkey legs roasting:D :hungry:

8. Feb 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
  9. Feb 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    janster..i did it.

i may have a pic for you later this evening. i chilled it to ditch the fat..warming it up now..i used Hatch New mexico green chili.

Products Discussed in

To Top