1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a pistol

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by archerytarget, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Feb 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM
    311offroad

311offroad Stock Taco For Now

Member:
    Milledgeville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OffRoad SR5 4x4 Short Bed Debadged
    20% tint, Debadged, Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Infinity component door speakers, MagLite mod
    Really? I tried to find out if that was possible a while back and couldn't find anything about it. I really like the 45 compact with the 4" barrel and short grip, but I really want a 40. But getting the 45 wasnt that big of a deal so I said screw it and decided on the bigger caliber. hhhmmm might have to look into this barrel swap

2. Feb 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i have a S&W .357 for sale model 686, seven round cylinder

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    If you want a semi-auto then you basically rule out the 357 Magnum. But......consider the 357 Sig round. Similar ballistics, so a very effective pig or personal defense round. Sig makes them, as does Glock. Not sure about others but suspect that there are other guns available in that caliber.

Downside is that the ammo is going to run more than the more common calibers although it has gotten cheaper in relative terms since the caliber was introduced in the early 90s due to the fact that a number of police departments issue them and there is more stuff available than there was a few years ago. Also, because it's a bottle-neck round it is supremely reliable in a semi-auto. Reliability is a big deal.....357 Sig is going to be the most reliable, 9mm next, 45ACP and 40 S&W bringing up the rear in that department. BTW, I kinda don't like the 40 round much, maybe it's just me but if you're looking for a powerful round I'd go with either the 357 Sig or the 45 for sure.

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    kimber, glock, or beretta....

5. Feb 11, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    wushaw

wushaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD 4x4 6sp
    Having one pistol to try to use for everything is gonna be a little tough.
    The most reliable pistol built is a wheel gun. Ever hear of an Alaskan hunter carring a auto for bear defense??
    Hunting pistols are wheel guns.
    High capacity Autos are offensive weapons. Military, law enforcement.

Autos are fun to shoot, wheel guns are fun to shoot. I have both, autos and wheel guns and enjoy both but If I was wanting/needing to put a hog down I would be packing something with lots of kinetic energy and very reliable.
    .44mag, .45 long colt, .357mag would be some good decent choices.

6. Feb 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM
    PaulVthe3

PaulVthe3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get yourself a Glock in 45 ACP. I know guys who have bought .40's and 10mm and those guys are crying how they wished they would have bought the 45 because the ammo is so hard to come by in 10 and 40. Not to mention the price! And i get these die hard snobs try and explain ballistics and penatration theories all day on how the 10mm and .40 "out perform" the Old War Horse! To me I know the .45 is a Battleproven round. I can run to Walmart or just about any where and get rounds for it that will knock you in the dirt just as quick as the 10 or .40.

7. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you have problems finding .40??

a box of 100 at walmart runs me around $26 and a box of .45acp is like $30...and they ALWAYS have plenty of boxes...

i dont disagree that the .45 may be a more powerful round...however...shot placement is key...i'd rather have my little walther p22 that i can put 3 shots between the guys eyes without thinking than a .45 that i MIGHT be able to put 3 shots into the guy...

8. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    my off duty Glock is a .40 because my on duty weapon is also a Glock .40...

i like being able to buy the same ammo for both weapons...and they are very similar to each other in terms of control...and i can use my hoslters for both...

9. Feb 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    Toyota_hic

Toyota_hic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    07 offroad red tacoma SR5 ac./cab
    westin bull bar, tube steps, BFG MT, silver ceramic coated JBA shortys, tru dual flowmaster 40series with magnaflow tips, 77series K&N intake, allpine head unit, 10" type R sub, 500w/4 amp
    my familly have always invested in colt firearms

10. Feb 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    PaulVthe3

Member:
    Yeah man down here in Texas ammo goes quick! last week I bought all 2 boxes of 9mm and all 4 boxes of .45 auto. Its getting stupid. Oh yeah I totally agree with shot placement and being the first to hit accuratley.

11. Feb 12, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    bradu81

bradu81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    Silver Dbl Cab 4x4
    ^ same here in california...was at walmart looking for ammo...no .223, 45acp or 9mm...people are just stocking up. Good thing i did my shopping early on...pre-obama. hahaha

12. Feb 12, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget [OP] BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Brush guard, KC HiLites SlimLites, Chrome tube side steps, Deck plate mod, Cobra 19 Ultra III, 2' cb antenna, Painted black stock wheels, TSC toolbox, Sprayed-on bedliner, Trailer hitch, Homemade headache rack with rear lights, spidertrax spacers, 3" OME coilover lift
    im starting to think about getting a .40 more and more. a good friend of mine got robbed today and got a bunch of stuff stolen including 12 guns. its that kind of crap that makes me want to be more prepared :mad:

13. Feb 15, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget [OP] BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Brush guard, KC HiLites SlimLites, Chrome tube side steps, Deck plate mod, Cobra 19 Ultra III, 2' cb antenna, Painted black stock wheels, TSC toolbox, Sprayed-on bedliner, Trailer hitch, Homemade headache rack with rear lights, spidertrax spacers, 3" OME coilover lift
    ok so there was a gun show in town finally. it wasnt real big but i found a colt 1911 and i really like how it felt. there was also a springfield xd 40 that felt a little plasticy in my hand..not sure if i like that trigger safety too much. so now im torn between a 1911 style colt or kimber. the only problem between those is that i dont know which is better, etc and the price is kinda high, which brings me back to the xd 45 which is cheaper...im liking the colt because they are very reliable and have been around for a long time, but kimber seems to be very similar but i dont know a bunch about them..im starting to narrow this all down, but im still confused/lost...of those guns, are there any suggestions/comments?

14. Feb 15, 2009 at 11:22 PM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    i personally like the glocks, i havea few of the .40's (27,23,22,35) along w/ a 9mm 26. a year or so ago, i bought a kimber warrior 1911 and had nothing but failures w/ it. not to mention it was a pain in the ass to clean.

i carry the 22/27 on duty and love it. high capacity magazines, very relaible, and shoots like a SOB even when dirty!!!!!! the kimber was none of the above.

as for price, i can get any glock for $411.00 out the door so that also helps. my kimber cost me over $1200.00 along w/ a bunch of headaches:eek:

15. Feb 16, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    I have a model 19 S&W .357 combat revolver, I've actually had it for almost 20 years, i fire it regularly with 38 shells to keep down on the ware, but i do fire it often, and fire 357 shells every once in awhile to maintain the accuracy with the larger round. It has been a very good weapon for me, always handles well, looks damn good still, cleans easy, and has stopping power that most are looking for. I keep a quickloader with .357 hollow tips that will stop anything just incase. Just stating the obvious that many revolver people know and love. My 2 cents, LOL.

16. Feb 16, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    type o negative

type o negative Well-Known Member

Member:
    UT
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport - White
    My 2 cents... I Have a Springfield XDM40. LOVE that gun. Best ergonomics for me. 16+1 rounds, awesome!!! Comes with a really nice kit, hardshell carrying case with holster, 2 clips, clip holster and speed loader. I like .40 cal because its inbetween 9 and 45. its got a lot higher of velocity then 45 but more stopping power then a 9. 45 does have more drag which equals more stopping power. 40 isnt much more to shoot then 9mm either. Ive also been told that for somones first handgun 40 may be a better option. the recoil is faster and sharper then a 45 and it causes people to react a little differently when pulling the trigger thus less acurate, its all theory though. Good luck with whatever you buy!

17. Feb 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Bridger04

Bridger04 Member

Member:
    Vienna, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport Dbl Cab
    As many have already stated, the most important thing is to get something that you are comfortable shooting and that will be reliable when you need it. It is tough to beat a solid reliable double action revolver, especially if you are new to shooting. If you go stainless/scandium, maintenance is a breeze.

After you find a frame you are comfortable with, you need to select a caliber that you can be effective with out to 10 meters (beyond that you should be using your handgun only to get to your AR15 etc.). I take a lot of newbies shooting and find that most can't hit a thing with my .45s and .357. In a life/death situation where you only have time to react, I would rather have a hit with a 9mm, .380 or .38 than a miss with a .45.

Here are some guns I would evaluate in making your decision:
    Revolvers
    S&W small frame (J frame)- 637 in .38 Special +P
    Ruger SP101- .357/.38
    Ruger GP100- .357/.38
    S&W medium frames (K or L)- $800. I have shot a 686 4inch for many years and it has never failed me. You can also shoot .357 or .38 depending upon how much you want to spend on ammo. This makes a great all around gun and is perfect as a backup for bears etc. while hunting and fishing.

Autos

Kimber 1911s(most 1911s will cost way more than $500). 1911s are more difficult to break down and clean than most autos. I recently purchased their Ultra Carry model and I love it, but the kick with a 3 inch barrel is SERIOUS.

Springfield XD Compact .45- For carry purposes you can use the short mag, and with the grip extension mag, it is the same as the service model.

Ruger P90 .45- Probably the easiest auto to clean and maintain that I own.

H&K USP- $$$ but the USP compact is my go to.
    H&K P2000- $$$ this one is on my short list. you can customize the grip with provided inserts to fit your hand, and a lot of research went into its development for law enforcement.

Glock 38
    Glock 23

Hope this helps. Practice makes perfect.

18. Feb 16, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget [OP] BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    thanks thats great info :cool:. im gonna try to go to a local pistol range here and see what they can lend me to shoot. ill probably try out a revolver and maybe a 1911 and the xd 45. hopefully that will help me really get a feel for what its like to hold/shoot those..

19. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    PaulVthe3

Member:

Where in Austin are you getting Glocks for $411.00? Are you getting the Police or Military Discount?

20. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    Gt Distributors in Austin. LE/Military/Medic discounts.

Products Discussed in

To Top