1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for advice on replacing surround sound speakers

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by TacoCat, Feb 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 9, 2018 at 10:03 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat [OP] These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    As the title states, I am interested in updating my 11 year old surround speakers in the living room and wondering if there are any home theater experts out there in TW that could point me toward some quality speakers. I am currently running a Yamaha 5.1 HTIB setup that I bought at best buy. About a month ago the original receiver started to go and I picked up a Yamaha TSR-7810, which I really like. The receiver supports 7.2, or if I went with up-firing atmos speakers, I guess that would be 5.2.2? I don't have a need really to put in another sub, and probably wouldn't have a place to put it anyway. But if a new sub is needed to compliment the new setup, I would entertain replacing that as well.

The room is about 14' wide, about 20' long, and ceiling is about 8', non vaulted, and smooth texture (no popcorn). It is an open floorplan, and adjacent to the kitchen/dining area. The TV is on one end of the 20' room, and the main viewing/listening area is on the other end. I would be primarily watching movies with it. I am by no means an audiophile, but figured there has to be something a little better than the basic setup I have now at a decent price.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

2. Apr 3, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat [OP] These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I just wanted to do a follow up post to my original with what i went with for my sound system in case any others stumble across this thread.

I ended up using Polk Audio signature series speakers. For center channel, i have an S30. For front right and left, i used the S50 tower speakers. For the surround left and right, i have S10s. For the rear surround i used S15s. For the sub, i went with the SVS PB12 NSD. This is all hooked to the TSR-7810, and video is coming from an LG OLED55B7P. The picture quality of the TV is amazing, and the sound quality of the 7.1 setup really brings the movies to a new level. Very happy with the setup. Still think I need to tweak the settings on the speakers, but the auto setup on the receiver is pretty decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top