1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for Cantilever Info

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by TacoAppetite, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Mar 30, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    TacoAppetite

TacoAppetite [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Steelville, MO
    Vehicle:
    Plain Jane '99 SR5
    STOCK
    OK, I'm curious just in general of what are the pro's and con's of a cantilever rear suspension for future.... far in the future plans. Being able to handle 14"-16"+of travel while keeping the bed uncut is just flat cool but from what I've seen its not nearly as popular as a regular long travel that runs through the bed and is retained within a bed cage. Why is this? Is it the cost or complexity of the whole system or is it how it performs? My main focus is defiantly on performance because it looks like a project I would love to tackle. I've seen that is awesome in the desert but I really would like to hear about how it handles in other scenarios like on road and how much articulation it can take with the rear axle? I'm in mid Missouri and there is nothing flat here.. articulation is really my biggest concern as to if and how well it would hold up.

Any info would be great whether you've seen, rode in, own, or just know anything about the system! Thank you

2. Apr 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu Well-Known Member

Member:
    Had cantilever on my first ranger I built. It was a very cool set up and gave me 15" travel with a full bed. It was perfect for me since it was still used as a truck, and gave me tons of room to pack gear for desert trips. It performed fine on the street, couldn't tell the difference between it and a truck with a traditional bedcage set up. The security factor of having everything under the bed is also a big plus, I didn't live in the best area and didn't want my shocks to walk away one night.

It definitely is a more complex set up. Motion ratio, side loads, tie rod length from the pivots to the axle, and shock valving all have to come into factor and work together. I never had any real issues since my kit was designed and built by BTF Fabrication (I think he makes kits for Tacomas too). Another issue is all the crap under the bed. Stock spare tire mount, smog or fuel tank equipment, and frame cross members all had to be moved/modified for this system to work on my truck. I know some other guys with the BTF kit have had an issue with the cantilever arms pivoting into the frame during articulation or something, I never heard full details on it. I think the main issue was they used soft poly bushings that allowed too much flex.

Products Discussed in

To Top