1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for Composite Sheet Material to Build Drawers

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by yellowdogpaddler, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Feb 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    yellowdogpaddler

yellowdogpaddler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    GoFast Camper, Faulken WildPeak, TRD Pro (4Runner) Wheels), Goal Zero Yeti/Solar
    I have been searching for light weight composite sheet material to build a bed drawer system. Adventure Trailers mentions this in some of their product descriptions but they won't share the name of the material or where to purchase it. Anyone know of such sheet goods or how I might search for it on Google? What I have found so far hasn't been what I am looking for.

2. Feb 18, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    @1 Bored Clerk is using some hollow core stuff on his camper build. Maybe he can chime in.

yellowdogpaddler[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 19, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    5678ta

5678ta Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hogan
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    '18 ECLB Colorado ZR2
  4. Feb 19, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    yellowdogpaddler

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    GoFast Camper, Faulken WildPeak, TRD Pro (4Runner) Wheels), Goal Zero Yeti/Solar
  5. Feb 23, 2018 at 3:45 PM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    I used honeycomb composite panels from Carbon-Core. They have various thicknesses and options. I wasn’t too pleased with the finish on my custom sized panels nor the customer service to resolve the issue but they seem to be sturdy. Standard sized panels may get better attention to quality. The panels themselves are crazy light and very stiff.

6. Feb 24, 2018 at 5:33 AM
    yellowdogpaddler

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    Thanks for jumping in. What material did you use, composite or veneer; and what thickness? How many sheets did yours require?

7. Feb 24, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    1 Bored Clerk

1 Bored Clerk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 AC TRD OR
    Composite. Don’t get the veneer...I’ve seen several people have de-lam issues. My panels are approximately 1” finished thickness. You order by core thickness. I’m making a camper so my needs are different than yours if you’re just making a set of drawers. I would go much thinner for drawers. You could also do something like 3/8 or even 1/4” marine grade plywood then fiberglass over it. I started my camper project with a set of base drawers but I used 1/2” marine grade and I fiberglassed the outside of that. It was way too heavy but it seemed quite strong. My camper build thread goes through that took. You could also do a hybrid system with laser cut steel or aluminum that’s bent along with composite panels where necessary. Lots of options! Oh, and I used 7 panels but, again, I’m building a camper box.

Products Discussed in

To Top