1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for Double Din with navigation

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ezjumper8, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Jul 21, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    ezjumper8

ezjumper8 [OP] Ethan

Member:
    First Name:
    ethan
    camp pendleton, ca
    Vehicle:
    white tacoma dbl cab 4WD sport
    20% tint all around, blacked out badges, flowmaster 40 series and tip, rock hood deflectors, window deflectors, home made baja bumper, 17" XDseries wheels on some nitto terra grapplers, bright white led interior lights, blue needle on white gauges, cb antenna, with cobra radio.
    Im looking in to getting a new touch screen radio, im looking for one that has good navigation, plays dvd's, bluetooth, and possibly hook up with my trucks electronics, for example back up camera and steering wheel controls. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions. Every little bit is appreciated. The limit that I am wanting to keep it under is hopefully under 500 but we shall see.

2. Jul 21, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    drop4205

drop4205 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Windham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TX Baja
    Pioneer 8201 nex Id cxs 6.5 component front Id cs 6.5 rear Jl audio hd 600/4 Jl audio 10” micro sub+ Ram mat Tinted windows Debaged Plasti dip front emble
    Nav units will start around 600. Jvc and kenwood make nice apple play or android auto units that you can use phone data for maps for around 300. Apple car play is nice and no need to look at phone for messages or anything just talk to siri to tell it to do what you want. Not sure how android auto works thou. Hope it helps

3. Jul 21, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    ezjumper8

ezjumper8 [OP] Ethan

Member:
    First Name:
    ethan
    camp pendleton, ca
    Vehicle:
    white tacoma dbl cab 4WD sport
    20% tint all around, blacked out badges, flowmaster 40 series and tip, rock hood deflectors, window deflectors, home made baja bumper, 17" XDseries wheels on some nitto terra grapplers, bright white led interior lights, blue needle on white gauges, cb antenna, with cobra radio.
    thanks alot, ill have to look in to those two brands.

4. Jul 22, 2017 at 4:19 AM
    SigGuy

SigGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC SR5
    ADS Coilovers & Camburg UCAs @ Front, Wheelers 5-leaf HD & 5100s @ Rear, Satoshi Grill, Pelfrybilt Rear Bumper, BAK Roll X, WeatherTech Floor Liners and Vent Visors, Wet Okole Covers, @mrmarv/Kenwood/HAT/Arc Audio system
    I installed a Kenwood DNX893s, and it's been great! I had a Pioneer installed before it. The Kenwood is 100% faster, and I think the user interface and sound are better.

5. Jul 22, 2017 at 8:46 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    i have a Pioneer AVIC 8200... they are moving on to the next model iterations, the 8201, etc. you will be able to pick up the xx00 line, like the 7200, etc, for a discount as they bring in the xx01 line. but for good Nav you'll be over $600 unless you find some used deal or something. i wouldn't skip on the quality with Nav, cus speed and screen clarity are important. it's hard to compete with a good current phone.

6. Oct 21, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    taco14barc

taco14barc Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona TRD
    thinking about getting the avic-8200nex aka avic-8201nex. looking for some feedback from owners as to how they like it.
    • are there major issue with visibility on sunny days with the odd slant of the 2nd gen dashboard - and does the ability to tilt the screen help? I'm sure this is an issue with any head unit, just wondering if it is at least better than the stock unit visibility.
    • I've read one or two reviews where people complain about the nav maps being very hard to read due to poor color choices designed in.
    • any reliability issues?
    btw i have found out that the 8201 is just an 8200 with a camera in the box. when you pull the "8201" out of the box it even says "8200" on it. The 8200 can be had for quite a discount compared to the 8201.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

7. Oct 21, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    Rus TRD

Rus TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100 with 884 Springs. Full audio system. Stealth 6 Wheels. Cali led light.
    I have a pretty much brand new Pioneer Nex 8200 in the market sections for sale. Awesome headunit no complaints. I had my whole system removed. Traded my Tacoma in.

8. Nov 2, 2017 at 3:46 AM
    hitech

hitech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Just some dumb regular crap everyone else has
    I have an NEX 8200 in my MX-5 and a Joying HU in my Taco. Both have Nav, BT, AM/FM Radio, etc. The Pioneer is light years above the Joying unit, but it's also 4-5x the cost. The Pioneer works flawlessly and sounds amazing with the built in amp. The Nav is great as well. My only complaint with the Pioneer is, in our MX-5 with the top down, you can't see the screen. However, I believe that this would be the case with any touch screen in a convertible. On cloudy days, or when the top is up, absolutely no issues at all. If this were in my Taco, I don't think there would be any issues. The Joying unit is Android based, and honestly, I've got lots of complaints - it works, but it's buggy. The Nav in the Joying works quite well though. Spend the money, and as others stated here, you'll look to spend $600 or more on the HU - not including the steering wheel adapter and any other add-ons you may need. Look at the Pioneer NEX 5201 or even the 5200, quality units for around that price. There are other brands out there that work just as well or better, certainly doesn't hurt to go to Bestbuy or somewhere local first and take a listen.

taco14barc likes this.
  9. Dec 8, 2017 at 11:33 AM
    DRP6833

DRP6833 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Frederick, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma I4 4WD
    I've got a Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS (about 3 years old now) that I added the Avic U260 to. The navigation address database is off by a couple houses in a residential neighborhood. It thinks you've arrived when you still have a ways to go, or worse, you've already passed it (a PITA on a one-way street, ask me how I know). Contacts with Pioneer's customer service went nowhere, and I'm reluctant to spend money to update the database if I'm still going to have the problem.

10. Dec 9, 2017 at 4:00 AM
    airrage

airrage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 DCSB
    17X9 Gear Alloy Rims, BFG KO2's , Android Radio, 32" LED Light Bar in Bumper, LED Bed Lights,
    save the money and get a good android unit with google maps, real time traffic is all you need, these android units do more then the pioneer and kenwoods, use any app just like a phone! I been using mine for over 2 years!

Products Discussed in

To Top