1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for my first Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by reznor, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    reznor

reznor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi Everybody,

I am considering to buy my first pickup ever. And it is probably going to be the Tacoma. I would choose the basic version.

I.e 4cyl engine 4X2 with Access Cab

I am not going to use it for off-road and i'm not going to pull heavy charge. That is why I won't choose the 4X4. I only have concerns about the winter but what I heard from other 4x2 drivers is that could be OK (dependign of your tires and how good driver you are).

Why the 4 cyl ? Because it is going to be adequate for my needs. And also because of gas economy ...

I was wondering what is the difference between the 4x2 4cyl (Access Cab) version and the Prerunner version ? What is inclued in the prerunner version that you dont have with the basic version ?

Another point if the body of the Tacoma. Most of the times, when we check pictures on the web, on flyers and also and the dealer , we see the 6 cyl version or 4x4. I think there are difference between the 4 cyl Tacoma and the other versions concerning the body. I beleive the wheels are differents and also the body (wings , bumper ?) Just to be sure ... could you tell me the differences ? Do these differences have impacts on the quality of the truck ? Maybe if you had pictures to make the comparison, it would be appreciated.

Other point : Concerning the model I am loking for, what type of tires is needed. Considering that I don't expect to do off-road.

If you have any other points or recommendations for me, they are welcome !

Thank you !

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    reznor

Member:
    Thanks for the answer ! I will notice it !

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    reznor

Member:
    I was thinking about Oswego's answer ... and I have questions.
    I am not familiar with 4x4 system (sorry I am a kind of a begginner).

If I had a 4 cyl 4x4 Tacoma, is there a possibility to drive with a "4X2 mode" ? So I could be in 4x4 only when needed. If yes ... does the Tacoma gaz economy will be better in "4x2 mode" or it is going to be the same than 4x4.

Does anybody has answers concerning my questions from the original post of this thread ? It would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Mathieu

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Sport Access Cab 4x4
    Leveled with 5100s @ 1.75", Hankook Dynapro AT/m, Ultra Maverick wheels, N-Fab side steps, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel rain guards, TRD shift knob for 10 extra mpg, Gentex 177 auto dim rear view mirror with compass and temp, CompuStar remote start, Muth heated signal mirrors, disable AC with defrost mod
    The 4x4 mode can be turned on and off at any time, but you should never drive in 4x4 mode on dry pavement.
    The fuel economy is better when in 2wd.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    you were also wondering about the differencce between the prerunner and the bas model...the base model is alot lower the the ground than the prerunner is. if you were to go with the 4x4 you would be getting the same ground clearance as a prerunner. here are a couple of pics of the differences

4x2...[​IMG]

and the 4x4...[​IMG]

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Black Access Cab 4x2
    Some stuff
    Reznor, I do not know I would recommend the 4x2 for the winter in Canada. I live in Coastal Connecticut and while we get snow it is minimal. I can drive it well with good snow tires and a few inches of snow on occasion, but I am willing to bet you get quite a bit more than I do. Of course you are probably more adapt to driving in those conditions. I am not sure on all the differences between the prerunner and SR5. The SR5/base has smaller wheels (15in) and does not have the "over fenders". The stock tires are sufficient for non-snow driving, but I will upgrade to some Avid's when they wear out. I purchased Bridgestone Blizzak tires for the winter and was very happy with them. Although I went down to Georgia with them on the truck and they do not like running 70MPH for more than 30 minutes. The truck got a bit "squirrely", once I brought my speed down they were fine (68MPH seems to be about right). The one thing about my truck that occasionally bugs me is that I have the automatic. It is fine, but I like to really feel that I have complete control and the auto doesn't shift when I would, it shifts early to help increase MPG and on hills I would generally wait a couple hundred more RPM's before i upshifted. overall, it is a very good truck that truely enjoy owning. I use it for commuting to work and the occasional trip to Home Depot.

I found some pics, first the base SR5:
    [​IMG]

and the prerunner:
    [​IMG]

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    I would buy the 4x4 because if you need it you got it. you can always just drive in 2 wheel drive. I live in Alaska and I'm pretty sure or weather is similar and I've driven 2 wheel drive trucks and they suck in snow but it is possible just depending on your driving skills

8. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    Welcome to TW. If you can afford it, get the 4x4. JMO.

9. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    taco_89

taco_89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    So-Cal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD
    ABS SWITCH,PAINTED RIMS,PAINTED FRONT AND BACK BUMPER,HEADLIGHT MOD.CUSTOM EXHAUST:)
    to tell you the truth i would just buy the basic prerunner modle or get the trd with the locker just so it will be a little better in snow.. but yah you wont regret getting the better version toyotas are insane [​IMG]

To Top