1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking for push mower.. need suggestions..

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by countrylivn, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
  2. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    This is the same one that I have. There are actually 2 versions of this. One has the blade disengage and the other does not. Consumer reports rated this their #2 mower for the past 2 years. Honda was #1, and only had slightly better ratings but was about $300 more.

1st or second pull EVERY time. Its amazing!

3. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Disco850

Disco850 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Disco
    NW Florida FWB
    Vehicle:
    Stock 08 prerunner white
    +3 for toro

4. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    Honda.

My dad and I have both had Hondas for years. His was purchased new in 1993 and still starts on the first pull with just seasonal oil changes and wintering. Mine was purchased new in 2004 and same, first pull every time. Second pull for both on the first start of the year.

Quiet, cut great.

5. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    I dont havethe blade disengage but I dont think that I have the personal pace model either. I did notice that this year it was going slower, maybe it is IDK.

6. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    roadking1

roadking1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    n.j.
    Vehicle:
    sr5 trd 4wd
    lawnboy=garbage

7. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    And the pull guarantee option replaces the prime on the engine..... that I like as well....

8. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior TW Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 5-Spd SR5 TRD 4x4
    TRD Supercharger; URD 7th Injector; Injen CAI w/Airaid SynthaMax Filter; Magnaflow Cat-back; Light Racing UCAs, Wheelers 5-Leafs; OME 881s; Bilstein 5100s; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on 4Runner Ltd 5-Spokes; MetalMiller TRD Skid; B.A.M.F BPV Bracket; Grey Wire, Fog Light, Power Outlet, Door Chime & DRL Mods; FUBAR Moto Bits LED Headlights; Interior, Under-hood, & Reverse LEDs; Kenwood KDC-X895 HU & KFC-C6893PS Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PT Sub & Dynamat; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; External Thermometer; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Rhino Bed Liner; Toyota Bed Extender; SnugTop Super Sport; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Alarm w/Keyless Entry; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    +4 for Toro. I've had this one for several years and love it. Blade Override System FTW!

9. Apr 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    countrylivn

countrylivn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    yeh i like the honda to however the husqvarna has the honda engine.. and pull feature

10. Apr 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Derp

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Lindale, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Stow-away roof rack, Entune navigation, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler, Tan Softopper.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=10053&langId=-1&keyword=honda&storeId=10051

My dad had used the same push mower for almost twenty years until he recently upgraded and got one of these mowers.. We've been using it for just over four years now and it still runs like day one. I gotta say.. it's a lot nicer than what we used to use.. especially with the Roto-stop and cruise control system. It is a bit pricy though..

11. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:27 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I bought a green one from lowes about 8 years ago. Briggs and Stratton engine on it. It was 129$ i think. Maybe even 99$.

last year we moved from town back to the country. I hadn't used the mower in about 2 years. My yard in town, i cut with my rider. So last spring i pulled it out, put some gas in and started it up. Maybe 5 pulls and it started.

2 tanks of gas later mowing a hillside with about 12" grass, the mower started smoking and rattling and literally caught on fire. It was glowing cherry red and it got so hot it caught the old grass clippings sitting on the deck on fire. I was a dumbass and didn't check the oil. It was BONE dry.

I put the fire out, put some oil in, and started it back up. Been running fine for the past year and this year it was the same. Started on the 4th or 5th pull.

I emailed B&S about the engine. I got comments about wanting to ship me a new engine and they wanted this one back for testing. They finally said when it finally dies, they would replace it and take the old one back.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if i had to.

12. Apr 26, 2012 at 3:53 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I just use a cheap ass B&S powered mulching/bagging push mower. Mowing is mandatory exercise for me and if I lame out and do nothing else that week, I know I'll still have the hour walkabout pushing the mower around the yard. It is a big yard but is no field or nothing. If I had hills or acreage to handle then yeah, riding mower with lights to do it at night but just my suburbia 1/8 of acre subdivision lot, nah, regular ass push mower. Brand is completely irrelevant to me, the motor/blade is what does all the work so Honda or B&S on whatever the fuck deck. My cheap ass B&S like in the pic above starts on first pull every time, every year. Someday I'm gonna buy a riding one to mod and race tho, lol.

13. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    The handle that you push, does it slide up and down .. basically the further (or harder) you push the faster the mower moves? The blade disengage is a seperate handle that you have to pull down, and once you do the thing sounds as if you started a small plane propeller .. its a great sound.

14. Apr 26, 2012 at 4:34 AM
    wilnbroc

wilnbroc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver SR5 4wd Base Double Cab Short Bed
    Aluminum Side steps, Tuffy security bed box, bed lights installed like hookedontronics mod., auxillery 12v DC plug in Console, USA-SPEC iPod interface, set of Bilstein 5150's, CBI Offroad Trail Rider 2.0 rear bumber-textured black, Redline hoodstruts, Toyo Open Country A/T 265/70-16
  15. May 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD sport DC
    Tailgate Anti-Theft Weathertechs Wet Okoles TW Sticker! Pop N Lock Handle TonnoPro Tri-folding cover
    exact one I bought. one pull start guarantee for a few years too. wife is able to fire it up without any problems.

16. Apr 20, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Access Loredo tonneau cover, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, Ultragauge, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and an Evenflow car seat in the back seat
    I'm considering a Honda self propelled. I currently have a Snapper rear engine rider that I've had for about 14 years now and it's kinda awkward now as my old house had a fairly bigger yard. I feel like I could get done quicker because of some of the angles and such that I have a hard time covering with the rider plus the fact I don't have room for the snapper unless I don't park in my garage which I'm not giving up. currently I keep my Snapper outside locked up with cables and covered which also makes it more difficult to deal with.

I do have a fair hill to navigate is my big hangup. This is partially why I'm posting here to try to get an idea of how well these mowers handle the hills? My neighbor manages his walk behind (non propelled) on the same slope.

My total cutting area I can only guess is around a half acre as part of my lot is unfinished. Front is sodded and the back is well..............it's green. :eek: Haven't had any luck getting anything to take back there.

Another plus I'm thinking with a walk behind is the fact that my rider doesn't seem to cut evenly. Mainly when turning it tends to leave high spots. I think my lawn would look better with the Honda.

So any input on these mowers would be greatly appreciated.

To Top