1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for some advice for a person new to cars, let alone Tacoma's

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by InactiveUser, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    InactiveUser

InactiveUser [OP] Untitled

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Is it a cheap leveling kit (bushings) or does it actually lift it requiring longer shock absorbers? They are just steep/muddy dirt roads really.

2. Jan 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    jobrien

jobrien shit happens then you die

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Bed mat, cleats, scangauge, new headlight bulbs, weather techs, more to come
    Bilsteing 5100 and eibach springs no spacers or anything like that lots of folks are running that I'll look for a link for ya

3. Jan 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Yeah but i'd have to get bigger tires too :/ and they'll put stress on the drivetrain

4. Jan 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
  5. Jan 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Nah you don't NEED bigger tires but they sure look nice

6. Jan 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    eibach springs? I tried finding some but I don't have the sites or keywords to find something

7. Jan 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Seriously, I can't even find it on their website

8. Jan 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Found some, but that's a 3" lift!!! That's 35" tire territory! Can stock drive train handle that?

edit: oh wait...they're adjustable from 1.5" to 3"...Do I need to lift the rear too or is that more of a leveling kit without the gay spacers?

9. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    jobrien

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    You could get an aal for the rear that's under 100$ other wise you could have the BRO lean

10. Jan 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You really have no clue.

11. Jan 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    [​IMG]

12. Jan 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    OP, when you get the Black powdercoated body paint, can you please post pics?

Also, initially you said you did not want a lift kit. The 5100s will give you some lift if you want, but you can set the 5100s at 0. But honestly if you not going to go over any type of obstacle and just dirt paths and such, just get the tires you pointed out you wanted and you should be good to go as long as you get a 4x4 with locker. Getting the 5100s would seem like a waste of money in your case, unless you needed to change the shocks anyway.

13. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    I got the black powdercoat body paint idea from some company that makes a jeep variant that costs the same as a high end jeep but with a V8 using the same Jeep frame and some custom made parts. Very b.a. machine! Looks great too.

Well I am on the fence about a lift kit, if the places I frequent require a lift kit then I think modular shock absorbers are a good idea. If I spend $700ish on tires then I think replacing the shock absorbers is a good idea. They're suppose to be replaced every 30k miles anyway.

I don't know anything about locking diffs, what's a good brand/model for the Tacoma's?

14. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I don't think you'll need a lift if you get a 4x4, especially if you get a TRD. I have a bone stock suspension on my 4x4 TRD, and I have never even been close to stuck on any kind of dirt access road to a trailhead or camping site. Personally, spend the $700 on a good set of AT tires, and you'll be just fine IMO.

15. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    As for the paint, I have an idea that would use methods similar to what they do to jeeps, but for my Tacoma, but if I ever do that, there are plenty mods I would do before. So that is more in lala land.

For the lift kit, if that is your way of thinking, which seems like a pretty good one BTW, you seem like you are set. A mild lift won't hurt the wallet much anyway.

As for the locking diffs, I personally think that if you want to do something, you do it right from the beginning. I would go with an ARB locker. It will need an air compressor, but that is good to have anyway and should not set you back that much. However, if you get the Tacoma that comes with the locking differential, you should be more than set, as that locker has proved to be good enough for anything that is not taking the vehicle beyond its normal capabilities. It should also be easy enough to find. You would be looking for an Off Road version of the Tacoma. Then look for the switches that operate the locker to verify it does have it.

16. Jan 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Does ARB only come with air locking? That sounds like it has a weak point like if the compressor goes out or the the air line gets cut or degrades. Like an electronic actuated locker? They need to make a high-school type locker for the garage so people can say they have an ARB locker :p

17. Jan 4, 2012 at 2:29 AM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    LEAVE ME ALONE. Seriously, do not EVER post in my threads or reply to anything I say. All you have done is insult me over something you have limited experience with and most likely are going off of guesses, what you have heard from other people, and myths instead of empirical data. Look up the definition of the word. I'm actually supplying real word experience and you are just insulting me. Do you really think that the DOT (Department of Transportation) would approve them if they weren't legal? Grow up and stop trolling me.

I'm serious, don't even reply to this!!! GTFO, and don't think I am the jerk when you are the one who stated insulting without any provocation. Just because I call you out on your bad behavior doesn't make me the bad guy. Look up the word 'tact' too and learn how to socialize. I tried being nice to you and telling you my reasoning and experience but you had to keep insulting me didn't you?

18. Jan 4, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    IIRC, all first gens with true TRD packages come with bilstein shocks and an electronic diff lock. Make sure that there's a button on the dash (left side of the steering wheel) that says RR LOCK. That was my first clue that I got ripped off. As for how to tell by looking at it, there should be an actuator on the side of it. These threads have pictures in them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/148453-do-i-have-rr-diff-lock-my-96-a.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/187647-rear-locker-wiring.html

ARB Lockers are supposed to be pretty sweet. The OBA (on board air) can be used to re-inflate your tires if you ever have to air down for some reason. The company has a good reputation and a lot of people like them. But, it's also something like $1800 for parts and labor.

The stock locker is supposed to be pretty good though. And to be honest, I'm not sure they sold 4x4's without lockers (at least I hope not, that'd be stupid). Before you buy one, I'd take it to a mechanic you trust and have him give the truck a once over.

EDIT: There are other types of lockers you can buy, but why bother if you can just buy a truck that has one.

19. Jan 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    InactiveUser

Member:
    Unknown
    Vehicle:
    looking
    Invisible
    Exactly!!! So TRD came out after '98 huh?

20. Jan 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Question:

Are you set on a Tacoma that is 98 or older? Any specific reason for that? You could get one that is 99 to 04 relatively cheap and with the things you want. IE. Locker, 4x4, better Alt, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top