1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Curious George, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Curious George

Curious George [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off-Road
    Hello,

I recently purchased my first truck, and have just now begun to enjoy driving off-road for the first time. I’ve met two other couples that have allowed me to tag along with their group on several off-road, weekend-long trips during the past couple months, and now I am very interested in improving the off-road capability of my truck.

My new friends both drive Jeep Cherokees, and while they speak very highly of my Tacoma, I think the experts on this Website may be better able to help me out and offer advice.

I’ve spent some time reading about suspension upgrades on this site. However, while I’m beginning to get a better understanding of the basics, I’m still a total beginner (as will be apparent by my questions). And, to make matters worse, I’ve never worked on cars and I’ve never been mechanically inclined (I’m an accountant, eek).

Here is what I’m hoping to accomplish, and in this order:

- I’m looking to improve the suspension of the truck. (Unless they’re one in the same, I’m not necessarily looking to significantly increase the ride height of the truck.)
    - Allow for a significant amount of towing time. (In the future, I hope to tow a small fiberglass trailer up to ten times per year. The tongue weight of the trailer should not exceed 220 pounds.)
    - If possible, I’d like to retain the truck’s ability to drive nicely at highway speeds. (I’ve read some posts expressing concern or issues with vibration or grinding sounds arising after altering the suspension of their truck?)
    - Currently, I don’t plan to install a new front bumper or a winch.

Is this possible, or am I being unrealistic?

Also, for me right now, quality and performance are more important than price.

Any suggestions?

I have a second generation Tacoma, TRD Off-Road (with towing package) in an Access Cab and in a six cylinder.

I apologize for such a lengthy post, and thank you for your time,

George

2. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    sean266

sean266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Denver area
    Vehicle:
    14' Tundra TRD Crewmax
    Toytec BOSS Tundra Kit Black Tundra badges Window tint Stubby antenna Interior LED's Reverse LED's Center console mag light mod Center console gun holster mod LP leds Switched out chrome mirror caps/exterior door handles to black OEM. Nitto Terra Grappler G2's MotoMetal 971 18x9 wheels Ammo can mod TRDPro headlights
    Bilistein 5100's for shocks.
    As for the vibration just add some more washers to the axle area or straight axle it.

3. Nov 11, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Headlight mod, sound system. MB Motor Sport Rims. Black Tails. 5100's, 885, grill craft, Fogs, N-Fab Step Sides. BFG TKO Tires, Wet Oks, LED map lights and dome, LED gauge mod
  4. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes

info added

5. Nov 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    Curious George

Curious George [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off-Road
    This is fantastic information. Thank you all, and I appreciate your expertise and the time you took to post.

George

To Top