1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for some good ideas...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by guitarcrzy21, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    guitarcrzy21

guitarcrzy21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    K&N Air Filter. Nothing Special.
    Hey I've had my 2006 taco prerunner for just over 2 years. Its a five speed 4 cylinder 2.7L and i love it. I'm at that point where I want to start toying around with it and improve a few things. Primarily gas mileage considering I drive over 80 miles a day. On a lesser note I would like to improve midrange torque because it would be nice to have a bit more pull when I hit it hard. Any ideas are welcome though I would appreciate a price range around $500. I have heard that increasing the voltage pushed through the spark plugs helps this. Any truth there?
    Thanks guys!!!

2. Feb 18, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I guess you could re-gear your diff. to give it more torque. But this may give you less MPG's, and I'm not sure how much that would cost. My guess is it would cost more than $500 if you had someone else do it.

You could put a supercharger on, but that is way more than $500. You could also try a cold air intake, will help in the HP department and will give better MPG's.

Sorry I wasn't that helpful, but could point you in the right direction. And welcome to TW!

3. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    CAI won't improve gas mileage. Better or cooler airflow means more gas not less because the computer matches air intake with fuel. Marginally improved power and different sound but not better gas mileage.

http://fuelsaving.info/power_economy.htm

4. Feb 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Probably the best thing you can do to improve gas mileage is buy a gauge that tells you how much fuel you're burning (e.g. Scangauge or Aeroforce Interceptor gauge) and adjust your driving habits accordingly.

Products Discussed in

To Top