1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for tube style step bar advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by n2glock, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    n2glock

n2glock [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Now that my Tacoma is a bit lifted I'd like to maybe get some tube style stap bars for it. I've looked on line but I can only find a brand called Westin. What I'd like is something that's oval shaped that doesn't hang down to low. They need to have some form of a non-slip pad and I would rather they didn't have any logos on them. Finish doesn't matter as I'm gonna have my local body shop paint them to match the truck. Any advice on what fellow members have and some pics would be great. Thanks

2. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    If you want "oval" you will be looking at more of a "running board" style like the OEM Toyota part.

Most here use what's called a slider or rock slider because it is a structural part that protects the rig in severe conditions. With some you can use the slider as a jacking point and lift one whole side of the rig off the ground. Sliders are of round tube and/or square tube.

Types of slider fastening:

Weld on
    Bolt on (drilling required)
    Bolt on (no drilling required)

Here's a link with most of the major slider builders listed.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/164975-bumpers-2nd-gens-only.html

3. Dec 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I have black Aires 4" oval tubes on mine. They are powder coated steel. I've had them on my truck for 2 years now and they look good as new. No rust or chipped powder coat at all. I did not like the oval Aires logo in the middle of the steps, so I took them off. They were just a peel and stick label made of thin aluminum.

http://www.ariesautomotive.com/ovals.html

The install is a snap. They bolt right up using the factory bolt holes. I also like the slight bend they have at each end. It gives them a bit more of a finished look IMO.

4. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I've got the Westin round tube. They do carry the oval tube but I like this look better. They come in the stainless steel and the black coated steel. The black coated ones will eventually rust because they are not stainless, but they are less expensive. If you are to paint them, I'd go for the black stainless.

5. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    brett1586

brett1586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Athens, Ohio
    Pro Comp Lift, XD 18" Rims, Nitto Trail Grapplers
    Don't want to hijack the thread but do you have pictures of your bars? I've been looking at the Aries and have issues finding pictures to see how they fit compared to the body.

6. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    the oem ones arent too bad, like the one in my sig

7. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    n2glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    X2 These look promising but I'd like to see them on a Tacoma first. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see apic of your truck.

8. Dec 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Sorry no pics, but they fit pretty tight to the body and do not stick out beyond the fender flares.

9. Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    jhatheway

jhatheway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lincoln, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Barcelona Red Tacoma
    NFab bars
    I just decided to sell my brand new black Westin bars if interested. Have been used on truck for a day

10. Dec 7, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
  11. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    n2glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
  12. Dec 8, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    brett1586

brett1586 Well-Known Member