1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for Walkie Talkies

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Danielh90, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 at 6:59 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Ah! I assumed it was an integrated battery. My bad!

For BF mounting, what about this:

IMG_20181116_154416.jpg

I use it there with the PTT earpiece. The mount base is @FreshMexicanTaco 's DMM.

2. Dec 4, 2018 at 7:12 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Because the bands are full of commercial read public service, fire , police, etc.; they do not want clueless operators transmitting on their frequencies.

vicali likes this.
  3. Dec 4, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Be advised the FCC heads have come up they have posted warnings about the use of the likes of BaoFeng radios being able to TX in the commercial bands they are also illegal to be used in the ham bands without a license. If you want a radio that will work get a GMRS license that makes your radio legal or get a tech class ham license and use real radios instead of a BaoFeng. I own one of them it's is junk I won it for a $1 in a raffle it is programed for use in the ham bands I carry it for use in places for short range communications and really don't care if I lose it I do not relay on it for important/emergency use that's what my real radios are for.

4. Dec 4, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    As I said above about this issue, the new BFs are locked out of those bands. You can see this in the Amazon listing.

I agree that it was a valid issue. I would enjoy listening to ATC but am happy with the restriction given that some folks couldn't resist Tx on those frequencies.

However, I do feel the opposite as you about the quality. I only have experience with the 8W UV-5R, but it is quite well build IMHO compared to other comsumer grade stuff that I have. The PTT earpiece could be nicer?

5. Dec 4, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    And the FCC regulates the BandPlan based on users. Cell, TV, Commercial, wifi, all those groups would love to get in on the HAM band frequencies.. and they will if it's just a bunch of gonzos yaking on chinese ebay radios..

HAM is self regulated - meaning their are means to find and report unlicensed broadcasters in order to protect the bands for the rest of us. If you don't want the 'hassle' of getting a license stay in the cb (Literally the CITIZEN'S BAND) channels.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 4, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    dilbert

dilbert AI Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD Off-Road
    The biggest threat to the amateur radio bands is elitist Hams that don't want to embrace and mentor a new generation of users. Gear doesn't have to be expensive, and if it gets someone interested in the hobby - that is a good thing.

danwray and tonered like this.
  7. Dec 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Or is the biggest threat a new generation that is too lazy to invest in the hobby? Seems every which radio radio post turns into HAMs linking to the exam, telling people how easy and cheap it is to get into, letting them know there is probably a local club full of operators who love new blood, linking them to the practice exams and encouraging them to get involved.. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/clean-vhf-cb-radio-installs.415584/page-45#post-19251027

and then the next post is someone posting an Amazon link to a Bauofeng for $65.

To Top