1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking into Law Enforcement

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Monster Coma, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Monster Coma

Monster Coma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 WRB WRX
    It's a wagon
    So just like the title states I am looking into law enforcement. I currently live in PA although I have plans to move to GA in the future. I was just wondering if you guys could give me any information that would be helpful. I have looked into my state trooper application process and I know I can pass the physical part. I was wondering how the other tests were, Do I need to go to the academy? Basically the basics. Any information on who I should talk to to get my foot in the door at least?

I was also wondering how hard it would be to transfer states? Would it be smarter to wait till I move or try to get a job here and then work on transferring? Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

2. PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab
    See Build in Sig
    Good luck! Yes to the academy, ive been applying for almost a year now :(

3. Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 WRB WRX
    It's a wagon
    Thank you, and yeah I'm trying to gather as much information as I can. I'll be going down to the local state police tomorrow and attempt to ask questions. and then try to find out how to apply for the academy and what not

4. Anteupp

Anteupp Mega Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    San Diego
    Total Chaos Long Travel 4x4, Fox Coilovers, DMZ spring under, 16" king tripple bypasses, Garage built bedcage/bumper, full cage coming soon...
    Wait till you move, be loyal to the department that hires and trains you. I know a lot of people contemplating a LE career including myself....times are tough and very competitive no matter where you go.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab
    See Build in Sig
    Competition here in Phoenix is insane! Yeah talking to them is good and so is going for ride alongs, hell see if a LEO TW member is in your area and go with one of them maybe?

6. tigerfan00

tigerfan00 BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dunkin Donuts
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD 4x4
    X2 on being loyal

I'd double check to see if certification from PA will transfer to GA too

Each dept is gonna be different, with tests etc...my particular dept doesn't do any written test pre employment, however you do have to qualify with a Glock pistol and pass a PT test before moving into the interview phase

I'd personally pick a few depts, apply and make sure you impress them by either smoking written tests, being confident in oral interviews, or killing any PT tests

7. k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Dude where are going in Ga. ya going. Georgia highway patrol are bad asses dude. They chase everything and they get some bad ass whips dude. Ga. is a great place to be a cop. Southern Ga. is a great area.

8. LennyTheLip

LennyTheLip Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Branch, NJ.
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCSB
    Tint and tonneau for now
    You will have ot go thru an academy where ever you wind up. Some academies, generally those that produce municipal and county level police/sheriff officers, have an alternate route process. that is basically where you put yourself thru the academy incurring all costs. You come out certified, but with no job. That might make it easier as you apply to different departments, as they won't have to pay the costs involved in sending you to school for 6 moths, while on the payroll. Buts its no guarantee. Depending on where you are looking, some departments are civil service, like mine, where its basically all done by test scores and backgrounds. Thats to keep the process fair. I don't know how its done in the south. I also know that here in NJ, there isn't a department in the state that will take an out of state certification to transfer in. Any other questions, shoot me a PM. Good Luck! iTs a great career.

9. tacoguy1

tacoguy1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    west virginia
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD off road
    none yet
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 WRB WRX
    It's a wagon
    Ahh gotcha. I'm working on the PT and ill be looking into a study guide. As far as shooting goes ill have to find an instructor if I can. I know how to shoot and I'm decent at it but you can always get better.
    I was looking into Locust Grove. Its about an hour outside of Atlanta but as of right now I'm still exploring my options
    Thank you very much for the information!

11. rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    When you come to ga take the test in tifton if possible, heard they have highest rates of passimg.and best facilities. Start off as a city cop, work to county and work your way up. Start in a crown vic end up in a hemi charger. Im joining the academy in the summer time any questioms ask away

12. Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ProComp 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Dynomax catback, Weathertech liners,Toyota bed mat, Silverstar Ultra's, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's,bedlights and other small stuff.
    Most depts. have information online as for what are the requirements to apply. See what those are for where you are thinking about going. Make sure you meet everything before you stick your head in the door. Oral boards are very important. Get some practice. If you don't have collage, start on that.
    Good luck, awsome career.

13. Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 WRB WRX
    It's a wagon
    Well I went in today hoping to maybe talk to someone. Was handed 2 pamphlets and was told to look online. When I mentioned that I had read the stuff online she pretty much just told me to read the pamphlets and said good bye..

14. Thirteen20WRX

Thirteen20WRX Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD T|X PreRunner
    Eibach/Toytec springs, Front Bilstein 5100's set at .85, Rear Toytec 2" AAL, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers
    I wouldn't worry so much about training yourself to shoot. Whatever academy you go through will train you to their standards and you don't want to pick up bad habits. A lot of guys hired from departments who use the Weaver stance had issues in the Academy I went through (we shoot squared off). Anyway man good luck! A bad day on this job is better than the best day in an office IMO.

15. Monster Coma

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 WRB WRX
    It's a wagon
    So I know this thread is about a year old but I'm still looking into this. I finish my degree in finance in December and am considering joining the Houston Police Dept after. I know the physical requirements but can anyone give me some insight on what to study for the written test or what I should know?

Much appreciated

16. anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    The written test for my academy was basic high school stuff, every jurisdiction is different though. Check with the agencies you are interested in, some might even have study guides. Pretty much the written test before the academy is to weed out the full blown retards, and people who might not be 100% interested.

17. JPM OEF x3 MP

JPM OEF x3 MP Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ desert
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO Inferno
    Just remember that info posted here is area based. Doing the job in AZ for almost 20. Big city provides lots of opportunity and is hard to get. County is a joke. State really just monitors the highways. Some really great guys in all of those departments though!

Test, get hired and love it!

To Top