1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy a truck in San Diego, but would like a mechanic to look at it...

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by TuFerLife, Nov 9, 2012.

1. TuFerLife

TuFerLife [OP] 2 4 LIFE!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    '06 Boosted Lifted 4X4 DCSB
    URD MKII Stage 2 supercharger, APR X-1 ECU, DTLT L1 series, Pro Comp 6" lift (stage 1), 20" KMC XD Monsters wrapped in 35x12.50 Pro Comp Extreme AT's, Icon DR coilovers, Icon DR Billet UCA's, Custom Dual exhaust - Magnaflow X muffler to 2 Bassani mufflers with tuned pipes to eliminate drone at 2-3000 RPM, Redline hood struts, Spider Trax front wheel spacers 1.25", Line-X'd 2" nFab nerf bars and Avid Light Bar, Illumination Supply 30" double row spot/flood combo LED light bar, Bushwhacker pocket style flares, 13tw5 in Mr. Marv box and memphis door speakers, URD Short Shifter, TRD Shift Knob Carbon Fiber hood Skewp, AsianAnts FXR projectors
    Can anyone help me out here?

I am looking at purchasing a tacoma in San Diego, but I live in Tennessee. I'm kind of skeptical buying a truck sight unseen, so I'm curious what I should do.

I figured I should get a mechanic to look it over, but I don't know anyone in San Diego, don't know how to trust their opinion, don't know if I have to pay them, etc...

Anyone got any pointers?

2. MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Maybe have the truck shop look at it . You'll have to set everything up . I guess you'd want to look for possible accident repairs ( since carfax can be worthless ) , if the truck has been off roaded , what mods are installed , and check the basics .

3. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    URD MKII Stage 2 supercharger, APR X-1 ECU, DTLT L1 series, Pro Comp 6" lift (stage 1), 20" KMC XD Monsters wrapped in 35x12.50 Pro Comp Extreme AT's, Icon DR coilovers, Icon DR Billet UCA's, Custom Dual exhaust - Magnaflow X muffler to 2 Bassani mufflers with tuned pipes to eliminate drone at 2-3000 RPM, Redline hood struts, Spider Trax front wheel spacers 1.25", Line-X'd 2" nFab nerf bars and Avid Light Bar, Illumination Supply 30" double row spot/flood combo LED light bar, Bushwhacker pocket style flares, 13tw5 in Mr. Marv box and memphis door speakers, URD Short Shifter, TRD Shift Knob Carbon Fiber hood Skewp, AsianAnts FXR projectors
    Ya, I ran the carfax... but no service records since 2008. Maybe I'll have to find a shop out there and pay them over the phone or something... Not really sure...

I just want everything done because I would have to fly out there and drive it back... And if I fly out there with questions unanswered, that's just a recipe for disaster...

4. Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma LT Prerunner
    Try to find a knowledgeable forum member in sd to check it out.

Or request to take it to the truck shop

5. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Y'all keep talking about this truck shop... Is that the actual name of a shop out there?

6. MightyMouse-SCT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    Yeah carfax only says some things . I recently sold a vehicle that was in a accident that did not show up on carfax . I guess call the truck owner and tell him you want to buy and tell him you want the truck shop to look at it . Call the truck shop and tell them what to look at and pay them first . Then buy the truck if you want .

7. MightyMouse-SCT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes truck shop is the actual name

8. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Alright, I'm sure I can look them up on google and see what they say...

9. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    They want $85 to do a pre-purchase inspection... That's not too bad

10. MightyMouse-SCT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    Not bad at all . I was thinking more .

11. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    Lol, thanks for the advice. The guy is selling because its supercharged and won't pass SMOG... But ya, I'll be driving it back to Chattanooga Tennessee where has prices are $3.17/gallon...

12. TACO626

TACO626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve O
    Montclair, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 2.7
    Link to the truck?

13. TuFerLife

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
To Top