1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to buy my first manual Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DC59, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    whiteboy

whiteboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD sport
    Kings, alcans, 33's blah blah read my build thread in sig
    Well when I was out looking at trucks they had (from what I remember 6 years ago and not knowing much about trucks) a decent lifted first gen tacoma that was manual. The guy offered to let me test drive it around and teach me how to drive stick. My dad had taught me already but I just wanted an automatic out of convenience. I'd rather have a smaller, faster vehicle if I'm going to be manually shifting.

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    I agree 100%, which is why I wasn't even sure to the answer to my question -- very well put.

I do know that under normal driving conditions (not loaded, towing, climbing, or aggressively accelerating) that my engine speed usually varies between 2K and 2.5K RPM, and while I don't use engine speed to judge shift points, I was pretty sure I rarely hit 3,800 RPM, even with the a/c on (again, "normal" driving conditions).

I only brought it up because most "newbies" will be watching the tach to use as a guide until they can get their own feel for it...so it would be counter-productive to provide misleading information.

3. Jun 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    I always seem to shift around 2500 rpm or so...but then again I'm used to big diesels..so if you're turning 1800 rpm that's pretty high...:notsure:

4. Jun 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    I too shift around 2500 in my Tacoma but that's mostly a fuel mileage reason. My 6MT 330i, it's around 4000 to redline.

I lean towards manuals because I happen to enjoy shifting, more so in a sports sedan but since I bought my 6MT Tacoma in December, I find the 6MT has a great side effect. No one wants to borrow it to haul stuff because they can't drive a manual. Bonus for me! I feel sorry for them though because they have gotten this far in life without driving a sports coupe/sedan where you row your own gears on the back roads. Pathetic..

5. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
    Exactly. I will take a manual over a slush box every time. :cool:

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have testicles and have no problem saying " No " when people want to borrow my truck , but , good for you

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    I hate to say it, but go auto. Driving a manual proficiently takes lots of practice, not trying to discourage you or anything. Find a buddy or someone with a manual car and ask them if they would be willing to teach you how to do it, then once you get really good at it think about that manual Tacoma! :D

8. Jun 12, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Get what you want. :cool:

9. Jun 13, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    Testicles, maybe but I have the "stick"..:D

10. Jun 13, 2012 at 7:18 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I drove a manual truck for 14 years prior to this one , so , meh

11. Jun 13, 2012 at 1:23 PM
    thegreatga

thegreatga Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wyatt
    lancaster ohio
    Vehicle:
    15' dbl cab v6 6spd TRD PRO
    TRD Pro
    sorry if I mis led the rpm spec, the transistion on the v6 w/ six speeds requires an intial first to second gear higher rev to allow yourself (if you are inexperienced) a softer shift because of the added delay of second gear engagement. However after leaving second gear in any rpm with a smooth clutch engagement would be fine. Typically during mild acceleration ive found 3000 rpm to be sround the sweet spot from 2nd to 3rd. After a good bit of experience shifting from 1st to 2nd you should be able to feel out any rpm that gets it done. I will stay in second as long as possible, even roll start in second however it can dog the engine down if not careful. Ive noticed that on my truck that first is almost a granny gear so a higher rpm does help me, howeverbit may very well differ truck to truck. Good luck OP, make what ever decision you decide based upon what driving style you enjoy.

12. Jun 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    StickShifty

StickShifty Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC 4WD 6SPD
    step 1 - buy cheap stick car
    step 2 - learn on stick car, meh few weeks?
    step 3 - sell cheap stick car
    step 4 - buy Tacoma
    step 5 - drive Tacoma like a BOSS

edit: dont listen to some people, if you want a stick, get the stick. maybe you might hate driving a stick, you will figure that out on a POS rather then a $30,000 Tacoma.

13. Jun 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    Well the OP never said 4 cyl or v6, that is kind of important

If V6, get the auto. It's just as quick and gets better mileage. Of modern synchronized transmissions, the Taco's 6 speed is likely the most difficult there is to operate, period. I've put 120k miles on manual transmissions in my lifetime (enough time to learn you'd think) and now 11k miles into the ownership of this truck I can FINALLY get a smooth swift shift from 2nd to 3rd gear at high rpm without missing the gear. Think mack truck...

At least with the 4 cylinder there's good incentive to get the 5 speed, cuz with the auto it's ...sluggish, the way 4cyl autos of any vehicle type pretty much always are. At least the 5 speed is stupid easy to run. Something else I thought of - if you're a newbie stick driver and you get the bad luck of a Luk clutch on a 4 cylinder, it'll rear its ugly head well within your bumper-to-bumper and you can get the Aisin clutch TSB.

Either learn on a beater or find a buddy who already owns a stick and have him/her teach you all the bad habits to avoid.

Though there's one thing I read in here the stick-newbie needs to be aware of -- 3800 rpm shift points?! I can tell you why you're stuck in the 18s mpg (unless that's with very very generous throttle and really hoofing it down the road, which mileage wise at that rpm is far better than smooth steady acceleration). The V6 makes more torque than either the old Ford 302ci V8 or the beastly 300ci straight 6 truck engines. 2000 rpm is MORE than enough, and yes it can be accelerated smoothly with shift points as low as you'd ever need if you know how to do it. Not even my 91ci Fit with all of its 105 lbf torque needed to be run to 3800 rpm for a shift, like ever, unless it was thrashing day.

14. Jun 13, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    All good points. I actually paid attention on the way home from work today, and I definitely get nowhere near 3800 RPM in any gear during "normal" driving conditions, was definitely more in the 2500-2800 range when accelerating, and a bit lower than that when "cruising".

Question: I just recently bought my 2012 Tacoma with a manual transmission, and I see a lot of posts here about the shifting not being "smooth" with issues getting into 2nd and/or 3rd gear. I personally find the transmission in my new truck as easy to drive as any other manual trans vehicle I've ever owned. Mine did come with the "TRD Quickshifter" option though, and I have to wonder if that really makes a big difference in the driving experience, or I should expect my transmission to worsen as time goes on?

15. Jun 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

Member:
    michigander
    Vehicle:
    07 AC SR5 2.7 5MT 4x4
    tonneau
    From what I've read the TRD shifter helps a lot. If you can outrun the drive-by-wire you can get smooth shifts and the short shifter would probably help. The problem is that rev hang. The driver instinctively tries to wait to rev match, but the ECU's logic wants to hang the throttle for a second and then clap it shut, suddenly plunging the rpm so fast you can't catch the next gear's proper rpm. You pretty much have to have it in gear and already have the clutch coming out just as it starts to do that rpm plunge.

It gets better over time. Mine had all manner of shifting problems (gear lockouts mostly) but they've diminished the the point it's getting - dare I say - easy to drive.

My 2nd gear is a pain when getting on it because it's either get a bucking shift or bark the tires - no in between thanks to the soft axle leaves. 3rd used to lock me out but with some changes to my shifting technique it goes right in now. I was pushing the stick too far right; to smoothly go from 2 to 3 I almost have to act like I'm pushing straight to 1st (it kicks itself to the right hard enough to not have a problem).

16. Jun 14, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    I like my stick...not for every body?!?!

17. Jun 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I've had both in a Tacoma. I love my 6 speed, but I'd stick with the auto if I were you. You'll still love it.

18. Jun 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Chad7088

Chad7088 Old Newbie

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    19th state
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Tacoma Off Road DCSB 4x4 MT
    Lots to come
    Look man....if a manual is what you want then go for it. I bought my first toyota back in '94...it was a '93 reg cab 4cyl 5 spd....never drove a stick before...hopped it all the way home...learned to drive it....loved it....

19. Jun 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    ^This, If you get V6, go with the Automatic. If you go 4Cyl, get the manual. Manual transmission is easy to learn and fun. Never gets tiring to drive for me.

20. Jun 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I've owned a 05 and an 09 taco before my 12. All manuals.

The 12 has a much improved transmission over the other two. There is no documentation on it, but I am convinced that Toyota or their supplier made a substantial change to it.

Reverse is still too tall though. You can do like 35 in reverse.

Products Discussed in

To Top