1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to get a laptop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ghostboy808, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    All the PC / Windows users will leave this site as soon as Hyundai or Kia start selling pick-ups.

Those Toyotas are too expensive!

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    Nate794

Nate794 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    socal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    NONE.

Everything people say about makes is complete bs imo but, i wont argue that the look damn good both the software and the aluminum case. There actually MORE vulnerable than pc its just that macs have less the 5% of the market so hackers don't even bother. My parents have and old sony viao from 1999 with a P4 processor, 256mb of ram and it runs fine and never had a problem with it. i simply told them not to download anything that's looks suspicious or "free" and they were fine.

Oh and there way to expensive. especially the desktops o just built a quad-core, 4gb of ram system thats overclocked to 3.7Ghz and the memory at near 1600Mhz all for $800. the imac has a dual-core proc and 1gb of ram stock (i think) and coast upwards of $1200!!

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    Jedidiah

Jedidiah TakeItEasy

Member:
    Oregon
    BHLM Bilstein 5100's BFG AT 285's HID (6000K) Maglite Grillcraft Grill debadged
    I've always went with vaio's but since my last one crashed i bought a mac and its way easier to use and its so much better!

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    Nate794

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    socal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    NONE.
    how is it easier? I'm really wondering and not just being a dick lol
    But to me its the same they just have a dock instead of a task bar:rolleyes:

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    The pretty colors a pictures they click on! :rolleyes:

Hi! I'm Jack and I'm a PC.

Anti Mac!

6. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OK, so you would think that there would be a FEW viruses for the mac right?

I mean, there are something like 250,000 viruses for the PC (according to Spybot). There are probably 10 or 12 known viruses for the mac - but they only exist in labs, and are not in circulation, have never been in circulation.

Wouldn't some guy say, "Gee it would be cool if I was the first guy who wrote a widely circulated mac virus, instead of being annoying hacker number 250,001"?

Think of it this way, there are tons of mods and aftermarket parts for Tacomas - but someone out there is making stuff for a Studebaker pick-up! The percentage of Tacomas to Studebakers is WAY lower than that of PC's to Macs.

By the way, Mac's market share in the US is more like 8% - 10% (and growing even during a bad economic time). In a market as big as the US, that's a LOT of computers - Apple sold more than 2 million of them in one quarter this year. You'd think some malicious code monkey somewhere would get a kick out of being the first guy.

7. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac mac

Had my macbook for almost 3 years, no problems, i use it alot, bring it to school alot, it takes abuse and the battery last for a looooonnnnnnggggg time

8. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    ONLY in labs?! I would like to know where you got this information from.. Well you can go and become the supposed FIRST virus creator for macs. They will track you down, and you will have a felony on your hands. That's why pc hackers don't waste their time. Its much easier bouncing around in the PC world with millions of computers networks together. That to target a small amount. risk of getting caught is much greater.

9. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    CLIK >> Hmmmmmm

"In the Lab" and "In the Wild" are terms for viruses that are in not in public computers vs. those that are widespread.

Wouldn't you think that SOMEONE would have made a mac virus?
    I don't think many hackers give a darn about being caught, and there are ways they can cover their tracks pretty well. In fact, when they do get caught, it is usually because they brag about it on some bbs or chat somewhere.

The reason for so few mac viruses just isn't because there are too few macs to bother with. There are MILLIONS of macs out there.

Hackers don't work for money they work for notoriety. So being the first would be a big deal, whereas being #205,001 doesn't mean squat.
    Especially after that smug-ass Mac Guy keeps saying there are no viruses!

10. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Sony Vaio! FTW! Mine's been going strong for 8 years. Thinkin about switching to synthetic soon.:D

11. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:10 PM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    First of all. lmgtfy is a dick move. I don't appreciate it, I know how to search the internet. You claimed they are lab only. I disagree, there are viruses roaming around "widespread" as you call it. But seeing as there are so few of them, mac stays on top of keeping the damage minimal.

Furthermore. I see you mean redirecting and rerouting you ip as a cover up for hackers. Some hack to buy items/make money. MOST do though for publicity. Hackers aren't worried about being #1 mac virus creator. They don't need it. There are more defenses and people using PCs that the mac 'victory' would mean nothing.

lastly, I am done arguing on this gentleman's thread, you want to continue this start a new one.

12. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Samsung NC10.....AWESOME

13. Aug 26, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    lol, I'd rather pay $600 more up front than paying $600 in security software, extended warranties that don't cover what they say, and crappy customer service.

14. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    TacoSter

TacoSter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    Heres a review of your parents PC... hope they had better luck

15. Aug 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    fghtngsquirrel

fghtngsquirrel Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    I hated my Dell, hated the 5 HP's I returned due to malfunctions, don't care too much for the Vaio that I have now, and my next one will be a Mac. I'm on my computer at least 8 hours a day, and PC's just get too bogged down, though I have not tried a Mac yet.

Avoid HP... yeah, there are a lot of them out there for a really good price, but you'll end up returning it due to stupid hardware/software malfunctions.

16. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    what all are you running that it gets bogged down? How much ram do you have? processor? cache? are the programs you run memory intensive?

Re: viruses (not directed at you, squirrel)

...the vast majority of viruses are written for windows, not for the pc, and there is a plethora of free programs to protect yourself from malware. Comodo, spybot S&D, etc. all help to protect you; run firefox, install noscript and stop downloading pr0n and other idiotic sw that you're not familiar with. Don't use M$ Outlook... use a 3rd party e-mail program (eudora, thunderbird, pegasus, etc) or simply stick with an online e-mail provider - if you're not expecting an attachment, don't open it.. if you feel the need to open it, save it first, then scan it with anti-malware sw to protect yourself.

In over 20 years of using computers, I have (knock-on-wood) never had a virus; friends, family, colleages and co-workers have because they don't take the precautions and download crap!

I just fixed a colleages pc who downloaded "Personal Antivirus" - took me an hour to get rid of it for him.. why did he download it? ...went to a site, had a popup, told him he was infected and to download this and install it *sigh*...

17. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    REVHARD25

REVHARD25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    RUGGED TRAIL PACKAGE
    Tint on front windows. Dnx7120 kenwood. Rear tsb springs. Wet okoles seat covers UWS truck box Weathertech floor mats TSB floor mat hook grommets Satoshi grill AFE drop in filter Fumoto drain valve Bed mat
    ONLY HP for me!!:D

18. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM
    fghtngsquirrel

fghtngsquirrel Ka-freakin'-BOOM!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '08 4x2 Rad Red *SOLD*
    My current Vaio isn't really that slow, but the blu-ray player software has become jacked up and it's finicky about connecting to different wi-fi profiles. I just deleted all of the saved profiles, so hopefully that will solve an issue. I can detect and remove viruses without an issue, and this PC is clean. I do agree that computer gaming is better on a PC, and programmers seem to like PC's a lot better, but I want to give the Mac a shot.

My first laptop was a Dell, and it ended up needing 2 new motherboards, a new CD drive, and then one of the techs did not re-install my 54k modem (no big deal, but still...). After that, I had a lot of issues with HP's, mainly the terribly designed audio controls. The Sony was quite a bit more at $900, and it has been alright, but not out-of-this-world.

Maybe it's Microsoft that I don't like... just look at the reliability of the Xbox 360.

Hmm, to stay on topic, my pick would be Mac!

19. Aug 26, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    X2 It's not the computer that contracts the virus. It's the "computee.":)

20. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    Nate794

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    socal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    NONE.
    Naw man wrong computer it's a desktop

Products Discussed in