1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to get a laptop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ghostboy808, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    Nate794

Nate794 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    socal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    NONE.
    and the reason they dont make viruses for make is simple. If what you guys say is true then the make market share is 1 Mac for every 9 PC's. so if your a hacker fishing for online bank account info would you rather hack 1 acount or 9 for the same amount of work??

P.S. Pss Don't tell the mac guys but, macs ARE PC's

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    Lifeoffroad03

Lifeoffroad03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ICON Coilovers
    PCs Are Better For Games. Macs have, for some reason, have never been very good to gamers -- games on the Mac have largely been an afterthought while Microsoft is balls-deep in its Xbox experiment. For PC owners, having a top-of-the-line computer means being able to buy an assortment of titles so large you’ll never really have to pick up a videogame system. Meanwhile, the Mac makes you feel like a Soviet searching the bread shelves for crumbs of entertainment that may be released on the whim of cruel developers. Add to that the cost and difficulties Macs have in swapping out graphics cards, which is necessary if, perhaps, you actually wanted to keep playing modern games. GameTap and Steam make the PC a gaming-on-demand service with hundreds of retro and current titles there for the taking. GameTap works on Macs, but only Intel ones -- and not for all titles. And so it goes, until you want to tear your hair out.

PCs Are Better Media Machines. I can see the Mac owners already bleeding out of their earholes over this one. Fuck you, Macs can do everything with media in the entire universe! No, they can’t. Three letters for you: D.V.R. Windows Media Center has been a DVR replacement for years now, streaming all the video content your torrenting heart desires to boot, because Bill Gates swings that way. Steve Jobs prefers Front Row, Apple’s happy little interface that has no TiVo magic whatsoever. Apple TV, a set-top box that should have been a DVR, instead locks you to an iTunes account enslavement and a media-purchasing DRM-rental-blindered idea of “fun.” It may be easier to use an iPod and a Mac to download TV shows, but you’re also stuck with one media store, no recording options, and no way out once you’re completely sucked in. Yeah, I know there are third-party DVR options for the Mac. For how much Macs cost, you'd think they could bundle one in, right?

PCs Are More Cost-Effective. Macs are still priced too high. Tell me you don’t agree. And if you don’t, then you’ve been hypnotized, too. The Apple Stores and apple.com have created a one-world pricing universe for all things Mac, while in the PC world there are multiple manufacturers, tons of retail stores, loads of sales and rebates, and plenty of cheap refurbished parts on the market that people can use to make their own dream machines. Apple’s cheapest laptop is still more than $1,000. You can get a PC laptop for $500 at Best Buy. Yes, they’re different in quality -- but an eight-year-old who needs to plunk out a book report doesn't need 0.13 inch-thin wafers of aluminum. Families, non-nerds, and most of the adult world need less-expensive options, and for $500, the only thing Apple sells that has a screen and reads email is an iPhone or an iTouch.

Apple Is Fascist. You can’t build a Mac easily, and you can’t really customize them, either -- not unless you want to invalidate your warranty. They’re like fancy sports cars run on a single computer chip, fixable only at your dealer for a set price. Hacking a Mac feels like rape to fanboys, and it can be done, but with a trip to Fry’s Electronics and a little lunch money in the PC world you can basically soup up your own Windows roadster. That’s not appealing to most people -- but there are amazing things you can do on PCs with homemade software that usually isn’t OS X-compatible whatsoever. Waiting for a Mac patch of a file-sharing program, cell phone patcher, or whatever your freedom-cherishing heart desires can feel like exile. Sure, Macs have fewer viruses, worms, and crapware -- but they also have expensive, difficult-to-mod machines that become obsolete in a few short years. The same thing happens to PCs, too. And they're cheaper.

It's Still a PC World Out There. Just in case you want to run your world business with a healthy dose of cheap labor from Pakistan (or, with the declining dollar, Alabama), just remember that it’ll be Windows you’ll need to run it on. But Macs run Windows! Yeah, I know. The Mac is a fine, high-end Windows machine. And it’s really cool that Macs run Windows XP. But the real issue is, when will OS X be good enough to not need to run Windows at all? That ability to boot up XP is not so much a Mac victory as it is Bill Gates’ triumph. He now has compatibility with his competitor, which was the whole idea in the first place. Apple should follow suit and make iLife available to Windows users in its entirety. Of course, they won’t. And every time I have to boot up Windows to load some obscure piece of software I want to run just because I can, it reminds me that OS X can’t run it. Apple’s design is the slickest around, but what I want to see is an even more wide-open computer, one where everything it does is better than a PC…not just most things. Until then I’m going to envy those PC users just a little bit. All 96.5 percent of you.

3. Aug 26, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    Nate794

Nate794 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    socal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    NONE.
    im a PC guy but its not impossible to play on macs you can boot camp the windows OS and play games but, your gonna want a real video card GTX 200 serioes anyone??

4. Aug 26, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    TacoSter

TacoSter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    :deadhorse:
    Ba fongu to you to. macs are like politics and religion. Everybody has a choice and beliefs. I'm gonna stop here with trying to prove whats a better choice. You know what you know and I know what I know. I'm happy with mac... hope your happy with your choice and say hi to the geek squad :D

5. Aug 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
  6. Aug 27, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    I gotta agree with Rab89.... buy a MAC!

7. Aug 27, 2009 at 10:54 AM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    Thank you all the mac guys for your inputs and I don't have anything against the Macs but for my purposes the Macbooks just don't have what I need in terms of ports. Macbook pro's have 2 usb ports, HP has 4 plus hdmi connections, video out, two headphone jacks, which would be perfect on plane rides for the wife and I to watch movies without having to share an earphone. I was looking at the specs for the macs and they don't offer an adapter to be able to hook it up to an hdtv? I may be wrong and there may be other third party connectors you can buy to do that but it seems like a lot of work to be able to do that.

I work with a mac guy so I'm well aware of all the features of macs and how they are superior to regular pc's, from point A to B you need more steps to get there with a pc as opposed to a mac etc. Seems like a majority of the mac users are disgruntled PC users.

I say it's all about the hardware, you get the right components and everything else should run fine. I never had problems with viruses, or things dying out on me. Of course with some software you crash here and there but nothing major.

I think the macs are perfect for the guys who don't build their own and don't really care what kind of hardware they have and that's cool, I like to know exactly what I can get inside so I know there will be no problems in the future. I looked at the internal specs on all the macs and they are pretty much the same as any other dell or HP. I think you buy a mac for the software which is probably more steamlined than windows.

In any case my desktop with vista 64 runs like a champ after almost two years of use and I see it not really slowing down for another two years. qx9650, 8gb ram. gtx260. 150g raptors.

8. Aug 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C

I was looking at that or the NC20 from samsung. I like the hp because of the full HD screen it comes with but it seems like battery life on that one is like 2 hours max. I was thinking I can extend that to 4 if I get the 12 cell not sure though, that's why I was kind of wondering if anyone had experiences with the 12 cell and how long they last with normal use.

9. Aug 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Not that I'm advocating for one camp or the other (both have their place), but to answer some technical questions:

You can always go down to radio shack and get a headphone splitter. Of course, the two headphones should be equal impedance or else one person's will sound louder than the other... but then you can get inline volume adapters as well. It can be done, but as you said, more and more adapters.

You need a DVI to HDTV converter

Indeed. The big difference people don't realize is that PCs suffer because they have to support EVERY LAST piece of HARDWARE you could ever buy. Microsoft has its shortcomings, but you have to admit that they have done an outstanding job of remaining compliant with the billions of products available. My experimental, never to be seen by the public, stamped CONFIDENTIAL, Number Nine video card was fully supported by Windows up until Vista. Remaining compliant and having to support massive amounts of software is an incredible undertaking, which makes change slower.

10. Aug 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    Lifeoffroad03

Lifeoffroad03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ICON Coilovers

Products Discussed in

To Top