1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to join the family! Opinions needed on a truck I am looking to buy!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MadChicken, Jul 17, 2023.

1. Jul 17, 2023 at 9:22 AM
    MadChicken

MadChicken [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hi everyone!

First time poster here, looking to join the Tacoma family but could use some advice on a truck I am thinking of buying.

I came across a 2007 PreRunner TRD Sport Double Cab - (unfortunately 2wd and an auto) but luckily has a dealer installed TRD supercharger, so that's a plus in my book. Currently has ~81,750 miles.

I went and test drove it this weekend, and everything looked good and felt good. That supercharger whine is awesome! The truck seems to be pretty well taken care of, besides a slight pull to the right while driving, and a small ding on the read bumper. The owner is going to get an alignment this week.

Curious what everyone thinks about it, and if there is anything else I should look out for when I go to buy it this weekend? He is asking $18,500, but has 'some' wiggle room on the price. Thinking of offering $17,500 and maybe split the difference and land at $18k. Pretty much the best deal I have come across for a Tacoma with this range of mileage.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the Owners for sale ad:

2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2 Wheel Drive short bed 5 foot
    Automatic Transmission
    V6 Engine 4.0 Liter Engine with factory installed TRD Supercharger 304 horsepower 334 ft-lb torque
    Clean Title, Title on hand No Lien Private Seller Not dealer second owner
    Power Windows Cold Air Conditioning includes 2 factory keys and 2 remote key fobs
    Clean condition, no issues or problems runs and shifts smooth and very reliable
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Pro Comp off road front struts and rear shocks
    Hellwig Performance rear sway bar kit
    New Hawk Talon slotted and crossed drilled front brake rotors and Hawk HPS 5.0 performance front brake pads
    Clazzio (Made in Japan) grey leather seat covers front and rear seats
    Chrome front bull guard and side step bars and rear tow hitch bully chrome bar with led brake light
    LED Headlights and Fog Lights
    BAK Flip HD tri folding hard tonneau cover
    Toyota factory bed extender
    Auto Vent Shade front bug deflector, AVS four window visors and AVS rear window visor
    Hankook Ventus ST 275/60/17 street tires with 50% thread left
    Fabric rug 5 foot bed mat
    Gibson Catback performance exhaust system
    Bosch AGM battery
    Covercraft sunshade HD
    Locking tailgate
    Locking gas cap
    Upgraded Infinity front and rear speakers
    New OEM serpentine belt and supercharge belt changed
    Mobil 1 5W-30 oil and filter changed less than 250 miles ago
    Coolant flushed with OEM Toyota Pink Coolant
    Brake Fluid flushed with new Bosch brake fluid
    Power steering fluid flushed with new OEM fluid
    Transmission Fluid flushed with Toyota WS fluid
    Rear Axle fluid flushed with Eneos 75W-90 with limited slip additive added
    Also comes with OEM front Toyota grill, OEM intake system with new air filter, two Toyota oil filters, and six Denso Performance Iridium spark plugs

Excellent condition. Everything works great and truck is solid and will last another 100,000 miles

20230715_155053.jpg 01111_keB6IEv6tPE_0hq0b0_1200x900.jpg 01010_62FnCqO0k11_0hq0hq_1200x900.jpg 00i0i_7sVkhjXh4Bs_0hq0hq_1200x900.jpg 20230715_155116.jpg

2. Jul 17, 2023 at 9:30 AM
    SWPA Tacoma

SWPA Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevo
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma DCLB
    Thats a clean truck. As long as you dont need 4 wheel drive, I'd say go for it. It's obviously been well cared for.

3. Jul 17, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Unless I’m missing something, that sounds like a good truck.

maybe you can add 4x4 later if you want.

I think the supercharger kits have become harder to find (truck is not new anymore) and they’re like $5k+.

if it’s factory installed, smog legal, has miles put on it to prove that it works, that’s a good thing

and all those grandpa Ricer things added suggest it didn’t actually get beat on either

I wonder why guy is selling.

4. Jul 17, 2023 at 9:48 AM
    MadChicken

Member:
    Thanks for the reply!

Shockingly, the seller is maybe early 40's and from Guam. I was expecting someone muuuch older based on the "grampa ricer things" he's added. hahah :rofl:

He said he is currently in between jobs, but wants to pick up an older 22R to relive his youth from growing up in Guam and driving a mini truck..

He is going to get the truck smogged this week. He says he has never had an issue passing, but will also provide the stock intake which makes me feel better with the way they are continuing to crack down on things around here...

Tires are going to need to be replaced soon, but I would like to change the wheels and tires anyways. Seller says there is 40% tread left, but from eyeballing it, looks to be about 1/16, or maybe 3/32" of tread left before hitting the wear bars.. Figure I will use that as a bargaining chip when making my offer.

5. Jul 17, 2023 at 9:53 AM
    Dumneezooo

Dumneezooo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB MGM TRD Sport
    Guam? That's cool.

Yeah great deal for all of those fun additions. The no 4x4 is a deal breaker for me but if you don't need it go for it. $17500

6. Jul 17, 2023 at 4:26 PM
    Ceedub53

Ceedub53 Active Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner Access Cab
    Nice looking truck, appears in good shape. 2007? That's a 16 year old vehicle with 81k miles. Not a spring chicken. What can you purchase for $18k? Probably 4 wheel drive and a lot newer. Personally, I'd offer $13k and try to negotiate that asking price down. JMHO...

7. Jul 17, 2023 at 4:31 PM
    MadChicken

Member:
    Out of curiosity, could you provide some examples of what else I could buy for $18k that's 4x4 and newer (that doesn't have significantly more miles)? I have been on the hunt for over a month now, and this is (sadly) the best deal that has popped up... The Toyota tax is real...

8. Jul 17, 2023 at 4:51 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Check for a head gasket leak. The supercharged 1GRs tend to exhibit it sooner/more often.

You're ready to put in 91 octane all the time? That's what the supercharger requires.

9. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:05 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    You will absolutely need the ENTIRE factory intake / airbox system to pass smog (which you will have to do or have done within 90 days).

For a clean CA supercharged truck thats not a terrible price...

10. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:11 PM
    MadChicken

Member:
    Thanks for the heads up about the head gasket! Although I thought it was more of a problem on the 05 and 06 years.. I'll be sure to take a closer look and check the dip stick for any signs of a milkshake..

Unfortunately, I have never owned a vehicle that didn't require premium fuel.. This will be my first supercharged engine, but I've owned multiple turbocharged cars and an old Mustang with high compression. I have never owned a truck before, but figure getting one that's supercharged is a good compromise to satisfy my need for speed lol

3JOH22A[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:12 PM
    MadChicken

Member:
    The owner is going to take care of the Smog this week and is also including the stock intake, which he says he doesn't need to pass, but I find that VERY hard to believe..

12. Jul 17, 2023 at 5:28 PM
    Ceedub53

Ceedub53 Active Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner Access Cab
    For $18k, you'll be pressed to find much better, your search would need to include month(s) and multiple states. That "tax" is similar to what they called a "Corvette tax" years ago, (I have a red 99' convertible). Anyways, great looking truck. The owner may have to get it smogged with the stock factory emissions hooked up. California, right?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  13. Jul 17, 2023 at 6:08 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto

Yeah technically its up to the SELLER in CA to provide smog passing cert before a private party sale, but it isnt often the case. If he comes back with a pass for smog and its the truck you want, get it and register it quick.

If he goes to any even somewhat legit smog shop, hes gonna have to swap in the stock intake.

14. Jul 17, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy I miss snow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    A truck
    To add to this, remember at every future smog OP will be dealing with the intake issue. Potential annoyance for years to come.

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 17, 2023 at 6:14 PM
    MadChicken

Member:
    Totally agree. He seemed like a very honest person and even pointed out a few defects I hadn't caught myself. When I asked about the intake and issues passing smog, he made it seem like no big deal and that he's never had to swap the stock intake back on...

As a car guy that's been playing the smog game for 18 years, I found it very hard to believe. But then again, maybe he found a diamond in the ruff that turns a blind eye on the visual inspection. I'll have to ask him where he takes it for future reference. Lol

nd4spdbh[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 17, 2023 at 6:17 PM
    MadChicken

Member:
    The seller is including the stock air box, so it shouldn't be an issue smogging it down the road. I very well might even swap to the TRD intake as I don't really care for the look of the open air filter, plus, it just sucks in hot engine bay air anyways.. Stock looks cleaner. Win win for stock.

17. Jul 17, 2023 at 6:20 PM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    You know whats up then! +1

If you get the truck id suggest checking that the water to air innercooler pump 1+ cycles coolant and 2. has fresh coolant.

Best part about being here in CA, (at least where im at in ventura co) is that if you want a supercharger refresh magnuson is right here... which is kinda ironic given how hateful CA is to any sort of vehicle modifications.

18. Jul 17, 2023 at 6:29 PM
    MadChicken

Member:
    Ha! I didn't realize Magnuson was so close.. (I'm in Whittier, so not too far) That's good to know! I will definitely check the pump, but the seller recently changed the coolant. I would hope he also changed out the A2W coolant as well. Good question to ask him.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top