1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking to spend $$$

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by agmulder, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    agmulder

agmulder [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Carlsbad CA, curently serving in Afghanistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 long bed
    Weathertech floormats, Much more to come as soon as i get home.
    I am coming home from Afghanistan in, lets say a few days due to OPSEC. I have not had internet for most of my deployment.
    Anyways i am looking on spending a little cash on my stock 2010 DCLB 4x4. I am fairly new to this site, so these are the things i want to do. The reason for this thread is .... I would like to hear what you would do if you had the money. $5,000
    I want suspention....
    Tires and rims....
    New DD stereo....
    custom grill....
    Much more but that for now, I am willing to spend around $5,000, let me know what you all would do.

Thank you TW:rolleyes:

2. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    it would help to know more what you would like. what brand wheels? what brand tires? ect.

what styles/colors do you like?

how much lift

3. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    hmm carlsbad, go LT :cool:

4. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN GEORGIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    welcome from nj :)

for suspension i would go with arb's ome kit it's proven and tough and the dakar leafpack is the shit! you simply can't go wrong with that set-up. a full three inch lift no drop bracket hanging down and you can pick your spring rate accordingly. like if you knew in the future that you wanted to run a plate steel bumper set your suspension up for it now.

wheels is up to you brother there are some better places to buy from that may have cheaper prices than others but... the only thing i would watch out for is back space and desired function of your truck do you like bigger wheels or a smaller diameter wheel like i do and a larger tire that would be the way to go if you wanted a more capable off road truck. if it where me a member on here sells konig countersteers that look like pure sex check out his threads he gets in some sweet wheels!

tires 285 295 anything larger and your way past the cab mount chop and trimming or melting back of plastics you into either losing your flares completely and beating your pinch weld back yikes. thats the only thing that stopped me from getting the 35's myself. brands or types of tires are up to you as well but solid choices nit picking aside are as follows. good year mtr kevlars and duratracs both great tires bfg km2's and all terrain, toyo and nitto make some solid tires as well hankook dynapro's recieve a lot of good feed back as well it really depends on what's more important to you. tires are going to be a trade off of noise capability mpg's and tread life.

the stereo i have to look at mine but, it's a pioneer something or other and it's not bad the nav is not the most intuitive thing in the world but it gets the job done as does the blue tooth plus it has full i pod integration. i have the model number for it in my build thread if your interested in looking.

for grills i would say do it yourself or check out homertaco on here he makes some bad ass grills man really nice custom stuff!

i would also suggest a good set of off road lights :) ie light force and or vision-x rigid or even retrofitting a set of projectors as they can be brilliant at night.

good luck and thanks for serving :) and be sure to post some pics of your rig man i'm sure everyones gonna want to see it. 5k is a good chunk of change if you shop around do your home work and ask the right questions you can save yourself a good bit of money to further extend your mods.

if i could make one final suggestion check into your local area threads as well some members that are local may take pitty on you and help with the installs of your new gear lol.

5. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Posting here = money gone. Shure a lot of good modifications will be posted here. Welcome to the forums!

6. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Richmond, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Offroad Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's (.85), Eibach Coils, AAL, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, 4% Tinted Windows, Weathertec Floor Liners, Double Din Pioneer Player, 2 10" Memphis SR Subs, Plasti Dipped Blacked out Bumper, Grill, & Emblems, Custom Bed Rack, Rotopax Gas, Storage, & Water containers, Pelican 1600 Case, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit.
    First of all Welcome home and Thank you for your service! God Bless!

I would say to look around at some trucks on the site and see what you style/look you like best. They're TONS and i mean TONS of fantastic look trucks on this site. And if you are a Toyota freak, you will have a hard time determining which one you like best after you see the next one!

I'd say 5100's on eibach coils if you want around a 3" Lift. Fantastic ride for the lift and for less then $500..

Rim's of course whatever you like.

Tires are you looking for All Terrain or Mudd Terrain

As far as grill goes, Customize whatever ever you want. Gives ya something to do. Plus lets you customize whatever toyota emblem/transformer emblem/ whatever you would like.

P.S. Search for Plasti Dip so you can paint your dog black!! lol

7. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    welcome home brotha..

with the money id go for suspensions, wheels and tires or just tires, audio and lighting...

i'm assuming you are stationed on Pendleton, I have a few mods (nothing major compared to others here) but you can check it out to get an idea. :)

8. Dec 7, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i have a 2011 dclb trd sport and have been thinking (more like dreaming) about this since i got my truck...except i don't have $5K to spend doing it:D

but for $5K i would get:

this grill (homeroshi):
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/homertaco/158947-official-homeroshi-grill-f-s-thread.html

this suspension with the rear dakar springs:
    http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pa...tegory_id=113&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=72

these wheels:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/96679-17x8-konig-countersteer-type-x.html
    [​IMG]

tires: might get two sets of tires. one for on road dd use, one for off road use on a set of steelies. too many choices to choose from, very personal choice. i used to run mickey thompson baja atz's as my dd tires on my jeep, then i had a set of maxxis bighorns as my offroad playthings. worked well :D

sound system: either this (see post #2 ipad installation)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/191411-android-tablet-install-jeep-wrangler.html

or something along the lines of an in dash nav receiver, pioneer or kenwood.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC130/Pioneer-AVIC-Z130BT.html?tp=20212&nvpair=FFBrand|Pioneer

any way you slice it, with $5K to spend, you are sitting pretty.

thanks for your service, and good luck with your decision!

To Top