1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loose fitting coil pack boots?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ToyotaTod98, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Feb 4, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    ToyotaTod98

ToyotaTod98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    98 limited 4x4 excab white
    Lift ,wheels,micky tires, 4.56 front and rear locker.
    Hey guys! I have just did a complete valve cover gasket job a couple days ago. And replaced everything as suggested , spark plug gaskets , PVC valve and all. But I had noticed that there was some oil in my #2 cylinder plug well , just enough to get the boot wet, when I replaced my spark plugs a couple weeks ago. So that was another reason why I did the valve cover job. And yes everything was hard and brittle. So I drove it around town for a day after I was done and everything was good. But today I had to drive a little over a hundred miles one way and it started to miss when I reached my destination. It was raining pretty hard before I got there and I had done the air box mod awhile back, so I was hoping I was getting water in my engine. So on the way back it started missing bad, so I pulled over and checked my filter and it was a little damp but behind the filter was dry, but I went ahead a put the lid on my air box. It got to where it almost wouldn't go 55 mph. But as I got closer to home it picked up and ran better but would still miss , especially when I would stop and start to take back off. So when I finally made it home I took off my air box and the filter was dryer,so I started pulling coil packs. When I got to the #2 one I pulled it and it had quite a bit of oil on it. So I pulled the plug and seen that it was oily and the center of it was broke. U could hold the plug and spend the top and it would spin all the way through to the electrode. I noticed when I did my plugs that when I put my coils back on that they would slide on very easy. U couldn't even tell that u had it on the plug, there wasn't any kind of resistance. Luckily I had got a new set of coils, so I replaced them all and put in an old plug that I kept and drove it down the road and it was all good. So even though it's held down by that bolt, could there be enough pressure that oil could get around the top of the boot and get in there? Cause I replaced all the spark plug gaskets, which I thought was the culprit cause they were shot. But apparently that wasn't all of it. I'm thinking that since that plug was broke like it was ,could have let oil in from the cylinder. I'm headed into town tomorrow to get a couple of plugs and replace the old one I put in it's place. But has anyone ever ran into this before? It's a 98 with 225000 but it's been a good one. And I definitely need it to last for another 225000. I do preventive maintenance every weekend on it, just because. The truck has been taken care of and I change the oil every 4000 miles with the best stuff I can get no matter how many miles it says u can go on the oil. I like to keep it fresh and clean. But if anyone has had these same problems please let me know!!! Thanks again .

2. May 6, 2020 at 11:50 AM
    CatalyticVerve

CatalyticVerve New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ella
    Pacific Northwest <> SouthCentral Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma SR5, Ext Cab, long bed, 2.4L, 2wd, 4cyl, 5sp mt
    -==================

Hey, not sure if you figured out your problem, HOWEVER, I stumbled upon your post looking into unrelated possible PVC Valve Issue and found the following...
    Perhaps it'll inform your situation?..
    Jan 14, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    [​IMG]
    GatireNew Member
    Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    2014 Tundra
    Hey guys, I"m a long time lurker here so I had to start posting somewhere. I bought a used 2014 1794 a couple of months ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. I was in a 2500 Ram for 13 years and am loving my Toy so far. It's made driving enjoyable again for me.

I've been fixing these things for years and it is a super common failure item on all different kinds of vehicles. It's a fairly simple job on the Tundra to change out the plugs and or coils. Prob 45 mins for all eight with hand tools.

I believe that the coil on plug ignition systems are susceptible to moisture build up in the spark plug tubes. When a warm engine cools off in humid weather it will condense water everywhere and it will build up in the tubes around the plugs and coil boots. As soon as the spark escapes the plug boot and finds an easier path to ground, other than through the spark plug, it will burn a carbon trail and that will be the new path to ground for that cylinder causing a misfire.

I always use a gob of Die-electric grease inside the coil boots to try to make it harder for the spark to find another path to ground.

It sounds like the lack of use would be a major contributing factor to the build up of moisture and then possible corrosion inside the spark plug tubes. You really need some long term heat build up to almost boil that excessive moisture off the engine.

It sounds to me like Flint needs a regimen of removing the coils on a regular basis (yearly) to dry out the spark plug tubes and apply Die-electric grease to the boots. Typically the coils don't fail but get burnt on the bottoms where the plug boots rest. I've literally fixed vehicles with just the grease application.

I hope this helps a little.

Gatire, Jan 14, 2018

3. May 6, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    ToyotaTod98

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I got mine taken care of. It was the spark plugs. I had two of them broken . To where u could spin the inside part of the plug, and it let oil up onto the boot. As far as a loose coil pack boot, those are replaceable,so I got a new set of boots for about 8 bucks apeice. But thanks for letting me know. These things keep on chuggin, but only if you keep on fixin!

4. May 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    CatalyticVerve

CatalyticVerve New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ella
    Pacific Northwest <> SouthCentral Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma SR5, Ext Cab, long bed, 2.4L, 2wd, 4cyl, 5sp mt
    True that.

Noticed that was December when you were dealing with it so, FIGURED you’d hashed it out... Just couldn’t help myself = curious questions get the bloodhound instincts going!

... I’m trying to source an abrupt oil burning phenomenon in my ‘95 -stripped down- SR5??
    She’s lost a slight bit of fuel economy in recent months.. I’m going to start with the PVC Valve/hose and go from there.
    of all the maintenance I’ve done — It’s a rather shamefully-overdue replacement.

thoughts??

5. May 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    ToyotaTod98

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    Well as far as fuel ec. I don't get the gas mileage some people claim to get. But I do have 32" tires also. But I found this out, I have to drive three times a week down the interstate 210 round trip. And when I drive at 70 I only get 16 mpg , but now I've slowed down and set the cruise at 63 and I'll get almost 19 mpg. So even a little speed will make a difference. But I'm sure u cleaned your MFA sensor . But I would also check your fuel injectors and fuel filter. If it dropped all the sudden then I sounds more like something went bad and not dirty. About how many mpg did you lose?

Products Discussed in

To Top