1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loosing faith in Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TXpro4X4, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Sep 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Thats incorrect. I paid less for my new f150 with more options than on my 2006 tacoma.

2. Sep 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    Care to provide specs of both trucks and pricing details including any trade or financing you may have had? Because that is not what I experienced when I was visiting Toyota and Ford dealers just two years ago.

3. Sep 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The value equation becomes less favorable as you go up the trim levels. You have a TRD Sport. The $36K paid for a non-functional hood skewp and body-colored trim pieces. The truck wasn't going to come with thicker glass, better door seals, or softer suspension bushings than the $20k base model. But you knew all this going in.

ruggedT's F150 is at the sweet spot for value in the F-series lineup. Had he spent $50K+ for a King Ranch Platinum (or whatever they brand it nowadays), he may be dissatisfied now too. :laugh:

4. Sep 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Too
    You're

5. Sep 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    I've only seen Hondas with the rotating piston. It can be a bigger maintenance nightmare with more close-tolerance parts to seize. Toyota's implementation is to use shoes inside the disc hub.

I think Toyota's decision to use rear drums in the Taco is driven purely by cost. The higher-priced off-roadable models (FJ, 4R, Tundra, Land Cruiser) all use rear discs. So long as it doesn't hurt braking performance, I don't care.

6. Sep 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    I have to agree with this too. I spend about 2 years researching the Tacoma, Frontier, and Ridgeline. Their pros and cons. Their cost, resale value, aftermarket support, common problems, etc... I don't have buyer's remorse because I did do my homework on each truck. Two years later I still have this big smile ever time I see my truck or start her up :)

7. Sep 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Seems like a few are missing the point, thats why I used my old 1983 SR5 4x as an example of how they used to build them, I get that newer models= newer technology & with more bells & whistles theres going to be more bugs & quirks in the system that'll have to be weeded out, & theres the problem, there were never any TSB's for leafsprings for the older toyotas, theres been a TSB for rear leafsprings year after production year for how long now ? Almost 10 years just for the 2nd gens.. why is that ?

Some responses are just little butt-hurt remarks instead of anything constructive, how many here have the benefit of owning a pre Tacoma & the quality it came with compared to owning 1st & 2nd gens with the somewhat questionable quality issues that continue..?

8. Sep 19, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    sodoscott

sodoscott Well-Known Member

Member:
    south california
    Vehicle:
    2006 tacoma trd off road mid-travel
    kingshocks, total chaos
    ^^

9. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:13 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    :wave:

Well said WingDing....

10. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    TSJESME

TSJESME Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD SPORT A/C 4X4 M/T
    I read through this thread, and do understand the sentiment of having a strong opinion, based on a good or bad experiences.
    Then there is brand loyalty, based on what our fathers taught us.
    I think we have all had good and bad. I, for one, was let down badly by my last Nissan experience, even though, I have been a Datsun/Nissan guy.
    We have to realize the changes wrought by time, technology, government intervention, etc.
    My 14 Tacoma is not the same as my 71 F-250. Both, are my "favorite" truck, but at different points in time, and for different reasons.
    At this point in time, the Tacoma is perfect for me.
    I have no complaints about the 10 yr old design...all flaws worked through.
    Just my opinion.

11. Sep 20, 2014 at 6:27 AM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    This has been discussed to great lengths in other threads. The decision to use a soft spring and offer the TSB year after year appears to be a conscious choice by Toyota. There isn't a leaf spring setup that delivers great ride with both the bed empty and loaded. So Toyota made a choice to prioritize for the more frequent usage mode - bed empty. Toyota equipped the truck with the TSB 4-leaf pack standard in Canadian trucks due to the different demographics.

12. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    KMitch

KMitch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Off Road
    It's been standard in the states since October of last year. I have no complaints of any sag on mine, even when hooked to my 5k travel trailer.

13. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM
    FooBird

FooBird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Wow. So much blathering disgust. Ain't nobody holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy or own a Tacoma. This isn't North Korea where you must get the state-approved Tacoma truck and be happy with it.

14. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Navar

Navar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Corona CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Washed it, Icon suspension, Icon UCA
    Nothings perfect! I'm at 115k and no issues yet. I'm waiting, but maybe that's because i've owned chevy up till the Tacoma!

Is this issue intermittent or all the time? Get underneath your truck and look around. See if you see anything. Grab things pull and shake. A rubber mallet is nice because you can tap things and possibly find things. Used this for a rattle and it was a rear shock was a lil loose. Also try taking it to a different dealer and explain to them what it is and what you have done so far.

Is your spare secured?

Good luck

Question is when you take it in ask the advisor if the tech can come with you on a drive and duplicate for the tech what it is you are hearing and experiencing. This will help them diagnose the problem.

15. Sep 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    TACORIDER

TACORIDER Just another statistic

Member:
    First Name:
    JAKE
    EAST TAWAKONI TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    12 TACO and some other Toyota’s
    Just want to make sure your faith in TOYOTA is lost because a little rear end noise? Shit happens not everything can be perfect, but did you check the u joints or carrier bearing? Rear shock? Do you have your receiver hitch in?

16. Sep 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 [OP] Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    [QUOTE a=Navar ;9196922]Nothings perfect! I'm at 115k and no issues yet. I'm waiting, but maybe that's because i've owned chevy up till the Tacoma!

Is this issue intermittent or all the time? Get underneath your truck and look around. See if you see anything. Grab things pull and shake. A rubber mallet is nice because you can tap things and possibly find things. Used this for a rattle and it was a rear shock was a lil loose. Also try taking it to a different dealer and explain to them what it is and what you have done so far.

Is your spare secured?

Good luck

Question is when you take it in ask the advisor if the tech can come with you on a drive and duplicate for the tech what it is you are hearing and experiencing. This will help them diagnose the problem.[/QUOTE]

Have got under the truck, nothing. Been to 2 dealerships, the second one huntington beach toyota where the more open minded. Went on 2 different Test drives one with the service tech and one with the lead supervising tech.
    lol have not checked the spair. For sure will now. I did check the air pressure About a month ago. All was good.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  17. Sep 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    It was bad suspension to start with. Anyone with a Dakar/wheelers/all pro ect pack will agree, the new pack holds more weight with a better ride than the stock pack.

I have the Dakar and it is a huge upgrade on and offroad soaking up bumps, with better ride control than the stock pack. Great upgrade.

18. Sep 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Did you upgrade from the 3-leaf or 4-leaf pack?

19. Sep 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    4 Leaf. Here in Canada it is the standard pack.

20. Sep 20, 2014 at 12:41 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

since 2007

Products Discussed in

To Top