1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loss of power, bad gas mileage and misfiring

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by BullTaco10, Apr 16, 2014.

1. BullTaco10

BullTaco10 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a question about my 2001 4 cylinder 2.7L Toyota Tacoma. It was misfiring badly a few months back so I changed out all the plugs, after that it ran great, then suddenly a couple weeks ago the misfires started again. The engine light blinks randomly at times as well. I am wondering where I should start. I am going to check the plugs again and make sure they aren't loose. All the coil packs look good cosmetically, maybe they are still bad though? I'm not sure. Is it possible that it is the wires or the fuel injectors? I don't really want to replace any coils or injectors unless I really need too (I'm low on cash right now). Another concern I have is my cat. The misfires started in the middle of nowhere in the Wyoming desert and I had to drive a couple hours with the misfires, is it possible that I melted the cat or clogged it up by driving so far with the misfires? If so how can I check the cat? Thanks in advance!

2. StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Deck Plate Mod; Grey Wire Mod; 1.5" AAL; 1.75" Lift Shackles; Bilstein 5100's; Eiback Coils; LR UCA; Front Diff Drop; Tundra Brake Upgrade; Wheels Offroad Brake Lines; Rear Diff Breather Mod
    Could be a lot of things but can't speculate until you get some engine codes :notsure:

3. skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    In a darkened garage, with engine running, mist water over the wires and coils. Look for arcs. No arcs, wires and coils aren't leaking.
    Unplugging fuel injectors, one at a time, will locate a faulty injector.
    Don't drive it around, until you repair the misfire. It can cause engine damage.

4. BullTaco10

BullTaco10 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Engine codes are P0300 random multiple misfires detected and P0302 cylinder 2 misfire.

To Top