1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loss of radio signal when headlights turned on

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Custom Reef, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jan 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    Custom Reef

Custom Reef [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    WAYNE
    MA.
    Vehicle:
    2006 BLACK SAND PEARL 4.0L 4 X 4 SPORT ACCESS CAB
    3" LIFT, 5125 BILSTEIN SHOCKS IN THE REAR.
    Hello everyone.
    I started up grading my truck lighting. I put a 50" 678 watt LED light bar on the roof and a 32" 485 watt LED light bar in the front lower bumper.. lover the look. Then I didn't like the headlights to yellow and dim. So I bought new 165 watt LED headlights. They work great but now when I turn on the headlights my radio dosent want to work. It's like the signal is lost and it's just static. But turn off the lights and the station comes right back. Didn't do this before I replaced the headlights even with the light bars the radio was fine. But now with the new headlights I get no radio only when lights are on.

How do I fix this problem. Here is a pic of the lights I bought. IMG_20170118_222322.jpg IMG_20170118_222339.jpg

2. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I think you are over loading the alternator.

3. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:36 AM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Silver Sky Metallic
    +1 ... my 400watt 2ch amp and 250watt mono amp make my headlights flicker justtttttt a little bit when they hit, but only when my 144watt LED bar is on.

Given that you are pushing way more power than my setup, I'd say you drawing more amps than your alternator can handle.

678 watts at 12v = 56.5 amps
    485 watts at 12v = 40 amps
    165 watts at 12v = 14 amps
    Total = 110 amps in just your lights!!!

Someone can correct me but I believe the stock alternator puts out 80 amps. There's an upgraded tow package one but I'm not sure of the ampacity of that one.

You are overloading your electrical system with all of those lights running. It must look like daytime in front of your truck lol.

4. Jan 19, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    Custom Reef

Custom Reef [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    WAYNE
    MA.
    Vehicle:
    i thought it would be the alternator but i wasn't running any other lights. not even the stock fog lights. i do have the sport tow package if that means anything.. it doesn't do it with the light bar's on. just the head lights.. didn't do it with the stock bulbs so i switched them back and the radio is fine. put the led's back in and no radio signal.. weirdest thing ever.. i have heard of engine noise coming threw the radio but not head lights.. i wonder if a noise filter on the positive lead going to the radio would work. but i don't know its like someone took off the antenna..

5. Jan 19, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    Custom Reef

Custom Reef [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    WAYNE
    MA.
    Vehicle:
    any ideas on a good alternator brand? amps?

6. Jan 19, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    It doesn't do it with the light bars on because you aren't overloading you alternator until you turn on those headlights. With the tow package I think it puts out something like 120 amps so that would make sense. Once you start approaching that 120 amp threshold on your electrical system weird shit will start to happen, like losing radio reception.

I don't know that a noise filter would help, but I could be wrong. It just sounds to me like an overdrawn elec system causing weird problems as electrical systems can.

Even if the noise filter solves the radio reception issue, if you're constantly running all of those lights you're going to start eating batteries or alternators... I'd upgrade the alternator with those light mods you have.

Take a look at this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351823510758?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:28 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    It's not the power.. you don`t need a new alternator.
    LED sometimes have no shielding on their PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) circuits and interfere with radio waves.

8. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
    So where does OP get a PWMS (Pulse Width Modulation Shield)??

9. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Harry

Harry Science, Bitches

Member:
    Santa Fe NM
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Off Road DCSB
    This
    Put a ferrite choke on the headlight wiring - they used to sell them at Radio Shack, might still. They snap over the wire and "absorb" the RFI

10. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:48 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    I have this same issue with my LED light bars. I had no issues with this with just the 30" behind the bumper. Once I added a set of ditch lights, I ran into this problem.

With the ditch lights on, I lose FM signal. It turns to static. The funny thing is the higher the elevation Im at, the less static there is. So if Im in a valley, its all static, but if Im on top of a hill, I can kinda hear the radio. The passenger side light shines right on the antenna. If you cover that light up so it doesnt shine on the antenna, the signal comes back.

I tried adding ferritte rings to the ditch light wiring and it made no difference. I plan on adding one to the antenna wiring when I get the chance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  11. Jan 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
    try a ferrite choke like TaterHarry said, no guarantee but its not ur alternator, its a known issue with adding LED bulbs. inexpensive generic bulbs emits too much electromagnetic interference on the same band with your radio because they were designed for the purpose of lowest cost, and did not consider Electromagnetic Interference mitigation. I would go with some name brand bulbs if the choke doesn't do it. I'm not expert, I just did a little bit of googlefu.

vicali likes this.
  12. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    You know how people say it's crazy to buy rigid or bajadesign gear when you can get 'the same' for $99 on eBay..

Maybe they aren't the same.

13. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    jv_74

jv_74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Filthadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Hm, I was just adding up his amperage and assumed that was the issue. Glad smarter minds than mine are weighing in. Hope the filter solves your issue, OP.

14. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Bocsy44

Bocsy44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Sport
    This that and the other thing.
    haha don't even sweat it brother, I thought you were on the right track until I went on google and was blown away by all the people having similar issues haha I would have never guessed that. Learn something new every day

15. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF
    My Squadron Pros do the same thing, only affects my CB though (may be a CB ground issue). I do have a Verizon micro USB charger that makes my FM radio go fuzzy.

16. Jan 19, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I too learned today. Good.

He is still pushing too hard if he runs all of those lights at the same time...

jv_74 likes this.
  17. Jan 25, 2017 at 4:05 AM
    Custom Reef

Custom Reef [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    WAYNE
    MA.
    Vehicle:
    thank you everyone for the replies it has been helpful.. I tried the ferrite and it seemed to help a little not to much but it did help. my brother suggested that i try running a ground wire from the cooling fins to the body.. i'm hopping that does the trick.. if not going to go with HID lights.

18. Jan 25, 2017 at 4:20 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    I get the same problem with a pair of HID converted Hellas, but not retrofit HID headlights or LED light bar. I changed my signal wire source (the positive from switch to relay) and it helped a ton, but not totally eliminated the issue.

19. Apr 26, 2018 at 1:18 PM
    20somethingwidataco

20somethingwidataco Yes, my avatar is a real car.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2008 AC TRD SPORT M/T
    ACLB 6 SPEED: Suspension: Bilstein 6112s (3rd perch) (F) Taco Lean Spacer Bilstein 5160s (R) TSB Leaf Pack Wheelers Offroad 3 leaf progressive AAL Wheelers Superbump Front Duro Bump U bolt flip kit Duro Bump progressive bump stop 3rd gen TRD offroad sway bar Wheels and Tires: Summit Racing Wheel Dakars (Polished Silver) 285/70r/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrax (Load D) "Performance": AFE CAI with custom powdercoated white filter cover MagnaFlow Performance Series Exhaust URD Cam gears XTP Intake Manifold Spacer OTT Torque Tune Brakes: Stoptech Slotted Rotors TRD ceramic pads Wheelers offroad SS brakelines (Front) Interior: Kenwood DD headunit Oem Subaru Kicker Tweeters Alpine 6x9 (Front) & 6.5 (rear) (With Taco tunes speaker mounts) Alpine 500 watt amp Sound Deadening (Doors, Rear "wall", Roof) ODI Rouge Shift Knob Weather Tech Mats Painted/wrapped trim pieces Console Safe Console Vault Gridx Organizer Ram Phone Mount Meso Customs dual color map lights Meso Customs dual color dome light Wet Okole seat covers (Black) Wet Okole center console cover (Black) 1" Seat Raisers (Driver & Passenger) AJT Designs climate control and 4x4 knobs Back Up Camera Lighting: Retrofits (Mini H1's, RGB Halos, 5500k Bulbs)(Lenses wrapped in self healing PPF) Diode Dynamics SS3 Max SAE (Yellow) Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro (Yellow) Driving lights Anytime fog mod Rigid Industries E series 32" Combo bar (spot/flood) Diode Dynamics XPR Reverse Lights Diode Dynamics XP80 turn signals LED brake, parking lights and license plate lights Armor: Apex All Pro sliders BPF steel skid plate Bigass Trailer Hitch Camping/Storage: Leer canopy LED interior lighting Sleeping platform (Storage underneath) Removable snowboard Yakima mounts Extra D rings in bed (6 total) Custom Powder coated white snow shovel with custom bedrail mounts Amazon special Traction Boards Hi Lift 48" Jack with custom Rail mounts to accommodate my sleeper set up Other: All pro Bed Stiffeners Relentless Fab tailgate panel TRD sport graphics (Turd Gen spec) Anti Sun glare hood scoop wrap (Satin Black) Custom FleeBay grille 4 Hella supertones ECGS needle bearing 4 patches (for now) BPF shackle mount (With smittybuilt shackle) Tinted windows (Front/Rear + Full canopy)(18%) Meso Customs gasshole AVS inchannel window visors Diff Breather Kit 2012-2015 Oem Turn signal/folding mirrors (w/ sequential signals) 2012-2015 Oem LED taillights Full Size (285/70r17) spare DIY Larger Engine Splash Guards DIY Vipercut
    I'm just now getting this issue. Weird thing is, It never happened before, I have cougareye led headlights, and it just started happening. I have an aftermarket shorty antenna, that I never use FM. Only bluetooth, The only Lights I run on are my led running lights. Any ideas? It just started happening on the way home today.

Products Discussed in

To Top