1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost in the Maze - September 2022

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by MR E30, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:21 PM
    MR E30

MR E30 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD OR DCLB w/ AluCab and All the Mods
    [​IMG]_MG_3608 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Day 1 –Lost in The Maze

The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park. One of the most remote places in the entirety of the Lower 48.

Why? Why would a group of 5 Tacoma enthusiasts think about adventuring to such a place?

Because, well, why not? Why not challenge ourselves, and our group, to see if we have what it takes to plan, prepare for, and then execute a trip of this caliber?

This place has its own unique beauty, but what it presented to us, and our 8 days within its confines, was the challenge. The challenge of being both self and group sufficient, prepared for a variety of potential situations which would test our collective knowledge and skills. The challenge of simply preparing and being able to carry all that is required to survive such a length of time in a place with no water, no gas stations, heck, barely even any other people!

This is what drove us forward. 11 months of planning, countless discussions, hours and hours and hours of research, and a keen eye for what was important filled the time between deciding to go on such an adventure and actually embarking on it.

Our official meeting date was the 16th of September at a campsite just east of Hanksville, UT.

Our group chat as the date approached was filled with photos of packed up trucks, conversations about arrival times, caravanning, and food prep for our many planned, shared meals.

We had 5 trucks coming from 4 separate locations. We all planned our departures and arrivals as they best fit our schedules.

Brent @PcBuilder14 departed first, on Thursday, as he lived approximately 11 hours from our arranged meeting point outside of Hanksville.

He spent the night solo camping near Mt. Taylor.

[​IMG]_MG_3556-Pano-2 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Brent takes fantastic photos with his Canon 90D, and his photos convinced me to upgrade my own photography skills with a Nikon D7500, though I didn’t purchase it until after the trip was over.

He also added a HC front and rear bumper, with swingout, and rear shock relocate towers, with ADS shocks; big upgrades relative to our trip with him last year!

[​IMG]_MG_3572 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3576 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

This is his Tacoma from September of 2021, for reference:

[​IMG]TLM - Day 3 - 57 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Brent awoke Friday morning and continued his journey north and west.

At the same time, Daryl @Phessor set off from his home in eastern AZ towards Hanksville. He too would be driving solo to the meeting point.

Alan @TailHook took off from Phoenix, heading north towards Flagstaff where he and Will @Sixthelement would convoy together towards our first camp.

I am usually one to join in on such convoys, as I can’t resist driving along with other modified Tacomas, but for the first time on one of these trips, I would be bringing along a companion!

Stacy is my adventure partner in crime, and my soon to be world travel partner, as we both will be calling the Tacoma home, and using it and its attached amenities to live full time on the road, literally driving the Tacoma to as many corners of the globe as we can.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 15 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]Canyoneering by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]More Rappels by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This trip is an excellent ice breaker. It’s a great test for her, for us, and for the modifications we have made to the Tacoma and the house it carries on its back. We have done numerous shorter camping trips together, but this is the first serious one, the first one lasting longer than 6 days.

With her in mind, as she had to work on that Friday, I finished packing up the truck and waited patiently to hit the road, as everyone else was already on their way.

Communication with each other on that Friday was conducted via cell phones until the service ran out, and then through Garmin’s when satellite communication was the only viable way to send and receive information.

Will notified me that they had made it to camp, giving me a summary on how to get to where they were once we left the paved road.

At 3:30 that afternoon Stacy and I set off, the Tacoma loaded with everything we would need, the heaviest it has ever been.

The drive north is a pleasant one, as after you leave the I-17 you find yourself on simple two-lane backroads through sparsely populated areas.

The majority of our drive was done in the pitch black of night, our place on Earth far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city we left behind.

Completely uneventful, a single photo is all I took on our way north.

At a Speedway gas station in Kayenta, AZ.

[​IMG]Tacoma Progress by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We arrived at camp a little after midnight, quickly pulling in alongside Brent and deploying our AluCab Canopy Camper to get into bed and catch a little sleep before joining everyone else when they woke in the morning.

The guys had apparently set up a nice wood fire (something we would unfortunately be missing in The Maze due to their fire restrictions; LPG just isn’t the same) and had stayed up late into the night, only missing our arrival by less than one hour.

All in all, an easy first day of travel for us all. Even while we were burdened with 28 gallons of additional fluids, along with a plethora of other things, the Tacoma exceeded my expectations on the journey.

We both quickly fell asleep, excited about what tomorrow would bring!

-Rorschach-, essjay, Ross4x4 and 11 others like this.
  2. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Awesome post, awesome pictures, awesome adventures trip. Look forward to the rest of it.

3. Oct 26, 2022 at 8:06 AM
    Parma

Parma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Weather gets colder here in Utah and it seems like all I think about is heading back to the desert...this doesn't help!
    Now I gotta go grab my maps and plan another trip to Canyonlands!
    Great trip and photos!

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2022 at 10:18 AM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    Day 2 – Lost in The Maze

Saturday, the 17th of September 2022. A grand day, in a grand place. Our long awaited adventure has finally arrived!

Despite getting to camp late, Stacy and I awoke early, hushed conversations carried out until we heard the familiar stirrings of people in our camp going about their morning routines.

Having met everyone on previous trips, I am quick to make my way around camp, shaking hands, smiling, and complimenting everyone’s Tacomas. There are some beautiful trucks here in southern Utah!

[​IMG]_MG_3602 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

I introduce Stacy to Brent and Daryl, as she has met both Alan and Will on previous camping trips in Arizona.

Let’s introduce the travelers, as the trucks are the real reason why you are all here:

The leader of the group, Will @Sixthelement and his 2017 TRDOR DCSB 6MT with GFC #3630 and LT with chunky 35’s, high clearance everything, and a need for speed.

[​IMG]_MG_3643 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

For reference, this was his truck from our September 2021 trip. Quite the change!

[​IMG]_MG_2082 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We mentioned Brent @PcBuilder14 earlier, so let’s move on to Daryl @Phessor with his 1st Gen Tacoma with a rear bed cap, and its ability to climb literally anything and everything.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 09 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Daryl was not a member of our previous September trip, so no photo of that to share.

Alan @TailHook once again pulled up in his 2018 TRDOR DCSB, clean as a whistle and outfitted with high quality gear, as always. Little did we know at the time that Alan was going to make a decision shortly after our trip concluded that would change his Tacoma for the better!

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 34 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Alan took part in our 2021 adventure, though his truck hasn’t changed a whole lot in the 12 months between trips. His truck is very photogenic though, so here’s a good one from last year, just because.

[​IMG]_MG_2142 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Finally, all that is left is me, Michael. Big changes over the course of 12 months left me with an entirely different experience this go around.

Last year’s trip I took a completely different Tacoma, my 2016 TRDOR DCSB with its few, paltry modifications. It did great though, never leaving me stranded, and when it came time to sell it, it wasn’t easy.

[​IMG]_MG_2291 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

This year however, the game has changed. The game has been upgraded to that high-tier level. The level necessary when your near-future goal is to transform a 4-wheeled vehicle into your comfortable and relatively well-equipped home, your sole residence.

2021 TRDOR DCLB with AluCab Canopy Camper #644 and a smorgasbord of various upgrades.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 03 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Suffice it to say, all of us are prepared, and then some, to comfortably explore The Maze for 8 solid days.

We take a bit of time at camp in the morning before we all set off towards Hanksville. Will takes the lead onto the paved highway, and I take up my usual position in the rear. Old habits of effective communication via comms comes naturally, and before long we are chirping back and forth about views, passersby, and the upcoming adventure.

After filling our trucks and all of our extra containers with gas (I am carrying an additional 12 gallons of fuel, with others carrying similar amounts), we park nearby as we wait for a burger joint, connected to the gas station, to open for the day. With all of our meals planned out in advance, none of us mind grabbing one final meal in town before we dive into our prepared provisions.

[​IMG]_MG_3608 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Burgers eaten, we head north out of Hanksville, still far away from the Hans Flat Ranger Station, which also happens to be very far away from our first booked campsite of the trip.

[​IMG]_MG_3614 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

With miles to cover, we quickly get on our way. After 20 or so miles we turn right off of the paved road. It’s time to take part in that treasured overlanding ritual, the activity that tells you that you are as cool as you think you are: airing down.

[​IMG]_MG_3618 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

After airing down, we head east, now on well graded dirt roads. With little to block your view, paired with the smooth grade and wide lanes, speed is easy to come by out here.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 10 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

These roads connect a variety of different destinations, though we had our sights set on one in particular.

[​IMG]_MG_3639 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3643 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3656 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

This place is remote. Really remote. Unlike other districts within Canyonlands, The Maze offers no creature comforts. No pit toilets. Nothing. Self-sufficiency is the name of the game.

And the friendly Rangers make us well aware of that fact. Thankfully for them, and for ourselves, we did our research prior to embarking on our journey.

The Maze has many trails, often segregated by the campsites they travel between. They are all listed on a white board, highlighted with foreboding words denoting the difficulty of each of them, behind the large wooden desk. The desktop is covered in a handful of photographs of rolled vehicles, further pushing home the idea that it is paramount to pay close attention to what is going on at all times.

[​IMG]_MG_3658 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

While our permits are being checked over, we study the trail rating system, comparing them to the road conditions up on the white board.

The trail rating system all seems a bit much to be honest. 35’s and dual lockers? Phew, it can’t really be that bad, can it?

With ~40 miles between the ranger station and our campsite for the night, we all quickly buy shirts and patches and give our thanks to the Rangers. We are quoted with a 6-hour drive time to our campsite. Surely our well-equipped 4x4’s will cut that time in half.

I mean, guys on the internet said that they made it out to The Dollhouse in just 3 hours. Clearly, the ranger has a different type of driver in mind when she quotes the 6 hours.

Abiding by the park’s rules, we split into (2) separate groups. We have a handful of easy dirt roads before we must take the switchbacks deep down into the heart of The Maze.

Brent captures the start with precision.

[​IMG]_MG_3660 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Along the way, a couple of overlooks call us toward their edges.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 18 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Brent and Will excited about what’s to come.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 14 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Will and I, quick, solid, friends: we have many adventures together under our belts, with many, many more together in our future.

[​IMG]_MG_3663 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Stacy there pondering what she has gotten herself into!

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 15 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Crammed in our homes, in our offices, and in the cities in which we reside, it isn’t often that we have the ability to feast our eyes on landscapes so vast and distant.

It takes a moment to get used to.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 16 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3666 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Down below, our path extends towards the horizon.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 19 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

But first, we have to conquer the switchbacks.

[​IMG]_MG_3679 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

These are very steep, one lane wide, with sharp, pinpoint style corners.

All in a day’s work for us.

The Rangers recommend sitting here at the top and listening for any vehicles heading up. There are very few places to get by one another.

Not seeing anyone in the distance, nor hearing anyone close, we engage 4Lo, and shift to 1st gear. Let’s get this done.

[​IMG]_MG_3684 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 20 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3687 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 21 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3691 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 22 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

One of the tighter corners

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 23 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

During the planning stage, we chatted about the added difficulties the Trail Limo would face due to its length, but in all reality, there were no added difficulties. With the information I received from both my aftermarket rear view camera and my parking sensors, I was able to squeak out simple multi-point turns around the tightest corners. The extra 12 inches of length does wonders for the space inside the AluCab, and it doesn’t really impact how the truck performs on trails such as these. That’s a win-win in my book, and I am further satisfied in my decision to base my build on the awesome DCLB chassis.

[​IMG]_MG_3696 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

After we finish our descent, which was completely uneventful thankfully, Brent comes over the radio, informing us that his truck is having none of this 4wd business, as the ABS light is flashing, preventing his truck from going into 4wd.

The hood gets popped, and the guys get to talking.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 25 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 26 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Having just done his spindle gussets, Brent bets one of the front ABS sensors is faulty in some way.

Alan pulls out a fancy diagnostic machine (one of which I have to get myself) and plugs it in to verify Brent’s hypothesis.

Yep. Passenger front ABS Sensor error.

Out come the tools, and in no time the error is fixed (a bit of grime was stuck to the end of the sensor), and we were back on the road.

It was a one-man job to clean the sensor, so while I waited I snapped a few photos.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 27 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 29 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 30 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We continue along the dirt track towards the most challenging section of trail in all of the three districts within Canyonlands NP; Teapot Canyon.

Before we get there, we have to travel the relatively wide open and smooth two track between the switchbacks and the canyon.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 32 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 33 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Travel here is easy and welcome. We know we still have ~20 miles to go before our campsite, and the day is already passing by quickly.

We can’t help but talk over the radio about the MASSIVE signs out here telling travelers that under no circumstances are side by sides allowed. For this, we are grateful.

Before we know it, the terrain begins to get technical.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 34 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 35 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The landscape changes, and we adjust our focus from the laid-back driving across the open plains, to the more attentive style required by the narrow and ever-changing canyon.

Old, well-known strategies resurface. It isn’t long before Tacomas come to a halt, and we all pile out to investigate the trail ahead.

Despite it getting later in the day, none of us are keen on rushing any portion of the trail out here.

This trail, while the most challenging in all of Canyonlands, is not that difficult, in and of itself.

The trickiness, the difficulty, and the resulting required patience stems from where we happen to be on Planet Earth. None of us want to add ~$4,000 (and this estimate could be low) onto the overall cost of our trip because we need a professional recovery due to negligence. You really are that far away from ‘the outside world’.

With that in mind, we take our time. Plus, it feels nice to get out and stretch our legs. The sun is bright, with just a few scattered clouds, but the temperature is very shorts and t-shirt appropriate.

Our first technical spot arrives, comprised of a few drops/ledges and a very tight right-hand turn. The flair is also hyped due to the fact that there is a nice rock ledge that drops ~15 feet into the start of a canyon just outside of the passenger window.

Stacy, who has never experienced this level of offroading, is more than happy to get out of the truck and watch from a safe distance. She just hopes that the machine that we have been building and spending money on doesn’t end up on it’s side!

There is nothing to fear.

[​IMG]_MG_3709 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

I will take a personal moment here: All of my previous offroading experiences were in vehicles that could certainly traverse the trail in front of them, but they weren’t ‘all the way’ ready to do it. My last Tacoma was as good as one can be, but it never had all of the bells and whistles that add a lot to its capabilities. It lacked those crucial upgrades that add piece of mind in those tricky scenarios.

There’s a conversation to be had about how much is too much, but I will say, finally being behind the wheel of a truck that is well endowed with those crucial upgrades is a massive game changer. Long gone are the days of leaning forward in the driver’s seat, hands clenched tight to the steering wheel, jaw tight, as you slowly creep over some boulder or ledge, just waiting for something hard and immobile to smash into something underneath your truck. Do that 100 times in a day and it wears you out by the halfway point.

Things on this Tacoma have been strengthened and upgraded, the suspension is actually designed for this type of work, and that precious underbelly is fully protected. To Stacy, the sound of the truck setting its skids down on a rock is startling, but to me, it is relieving. That’s why they are there. That’s why the Tacoma carries them around all day, every day.

That piece of mind is totally worth the cost of admission.

Anyways, moving on:

Daryl, the caboose in this section of trail, patiently waits while we all navigate the obstacle.

[​IMG]_MG_3712 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 39 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Alan making the sharp right-hander.

[​IMG]_MG_3718 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Brent parked along the rock ledge.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 36 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Daryl making his way through the left-hander as Will and I look on.

[​IMG]_MG_3722 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Stacy captures Brent ascending out of the second of two ‘bowls’ along this part of the trail.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 37 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

An excellent photo of the Trail Limo getting it done. IIRC, this is the trickiest obstacle in all of Canyonlands. Again, nothing insane (even with the sheer drop on your right), especially for these trucks, but we are still out in the middle of nowhere!

[​IMG]_MG_3730 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

That rear end is just so damn attractive. I need to start a #ditchthetailgate movement!

[​IMG]_MG_3735 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Alan along the rock ledge, just before the bowls.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 41 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Ever since ‘The Longest Mile’ back on Lockhart Basin Road, Alan has been a huge fan of my spotting style, so we work together to get his truck up and over the ledge. Tire placement here does require accuracy, though the picture doesn’t quite capture that fact.

[​IMG]_MG_3741 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3742 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Daryl making his way in.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 42 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3745 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

And then out!

[​IMG]_MG_3753 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

The guy’s chat about the technical section before we push on towards camp. No ruined bumper caps or big scrapes, I’ll call that a success!

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 43 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 44 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

As photogenic as always.

[​IMG]_MG_3756 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

This is a really beautiful place. It’s hard to take it in while driving, but thankfully we will have plenty of opportunities to soak in the views in the coming days. Not every day will be full of driving like today has been, a requirement we imposed when planning the trip.

[​IMG]_MG_3757 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Despite working through the toughest section, there are still more challenges to conquer on this 13-mile section of the trail.

As always, helpful spotting keeps all of us in one piece.

[​IMG]_MG_3767 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3784 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3787 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 47 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The length of time behind the wheel, coupled with the intensity of the driving, has us all looking forward to pulling into camp for the night.

Close, but we aren’t there yet!

It’s good practice to put the most capable truck in the lead, when you are on a trail that you know all of you can do, as it most effectively eats up the sudden, unseen bumps and drops of the trail, which Will can then relay to us via comms.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 48 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 49 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We come to an open-ish area, and we realize the Daryl is nowhere to be seen.

We all climb atop the nearest high rock and peer back towards where we came, expecting to see a plume of dust floating into the sky.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 50 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

But there is no such dust.

We reach out via comms. Radio silence.

Hm. We give it a minute. Still nothing.

Welp, there’s only one thing to do:

Will and I hop into the most capable truck of the group and head back down the trail.

After three miles we round a corner and spot Daryl stashing away the tools necessary to fix a flat tire.

He had a gnarly gash in his sidewall, causing a flat, se he replaced the damaged tire with his full-sized spare. The three of us eye one another, figuring out how many more punctures the group can suffer before we end up in trouble. It’s not a good sign to be suffering such a fate on day one!

Missing traveler solved, we head back towards the group, and push onwards quickly as we are just a few miles from camp and the trail is open and mostly flat.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 51 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The famous ‘Mother and Child’ rock in The Maze. This rock formation is visible from many campsites throughout The Maze, and it is always pleasant to look at from the various angles.

[​IMG]_MG_3789 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We arrive at ‘The Wall’ campsite just as the sun is getting lower in the sky. This is the final destination of the day for three of us, as The Maze has a 3-vehicle limit at all but one of its campsites.

It turns out, all those hours ago, that the Ranger was just about spot on. It took us nearly 6 hours to get to The Wall. Yes, we did have 5 vehicles to guide through the rougher sections, but the pace of the trail was set by a Tacoma on Long Travel and 35’s, with literally no expanse spared on making it actually bulletproof. Cutting off any time seems like a recipe for abusing one’s vehicle.

Daryl and Alan say goodbye for the evening and head a bit further down the trail to their campsite, Chimney Rock, for the night. We will meet with them tomorrow as we all drive out towards our two reserved Dollhouse campsites.

With the three of us living the Wedge Life, it is just a few moments before camp is set up and we begin preparing a communal dinner for the four of us. Sharing food is one of those things that feels deeply rooted in our psyches, so I am always excited about incorporating it into these types of trips. It’s a little thing that builds that camaraderie that we all desire.

[​IMG]_MG_3795 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3805 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3807 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Now that’s a lot of stuff! More than you need, most certainly, but man does it make it comfortable and very easy to spend lengthy amounts of time outdoors.

[​IMG]_MG_3810 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We eat a delicious dinner of garlic bread and pasta. Will, with his impressive cooking skills, leads the operation, with Brent and I filling in with sous chef duties.

Before long, the sun has set, and the three of us guys sit around in camp chairs in the dark, talking about the day, our lives, and of course, our Tacomas.

As the night grows deeper, we all sit back and just look up towards the sky. It is so dark, so deeply dark, that the longer you look, the more stars you see.

It’s one of those moments that simply stuns you into silence.

We decide to pull out the tripod I brought, set a camera on it, and see if we can capture a decent photo or two of what our eyes are seeing.

One of our first attempts, a blurry mess.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 52 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A half an hour later.

[​IMG]LM - Day 2 - 53 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Not too bad for an absolute beginner DSLR with a terrible kit lens! This is a skill I am already actively working on increasing with my new Nikon, because when you get it right it is simply marvelous.

Experimentation over, for tonight at least, we pack up our things and head to our respective tents, the long day of driving having taken its toll.

The night air is cool, the Exped is mighty comfortable, and Stacy and I are tired. The perfect recipe for a swift transition to dream land.

We completed a long day of driving to get to where we are tonight. Tomorrow, the trucks get a massive break while our legs get to pick up the slack!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
  5. Oct 27, 2022 at 12:28 PM
    Parma

Parma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Good ole Tea Pot Rock...that's a fun section!

TailHook and MR E30[OP] like this.
  6. Oct 27, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    TailHook

TailHook Oh, what shall we do with a drunken sailor?

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Utah! Get Me Two!
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR 4X4, 2007 Sequoia 4WD
    Bunch-o-goodies

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 27, 2022 at 4:33 PM
    Sixthelement

Sixthelement Ran over a Yeti once, Texas, never again

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    JD LT
    Side tidbit, those extra miles I had to travel back to find Phessor. Come into play later on.

To Be Continued...

Ross4x4 and MR E30[OP] like this.
  8. Nov 1, 2022 at 2:20 PM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    Day 3 – Lost in the Maze

The sleep was excellent, the temperatures were cool, and the night was calm.

We woke up shortly after the first light, something that happens when you aren’t sleeping in a house, and something that I very much enjoy. I love the sun and organizing my day around when it rises and sets feels very natural to me.

Before the day really broke, Brent @PcBuilder14 took a few really nice photos.

[​IMG]_MG_3824 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Phew, this is a good one (hopefully it ends up on the TW calendar!)

[​IMG]_MG_3827 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Some of the rocky pillars we will be experiencing up close on today’s hike.

[​IMG]_MG_3836 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Stacy and I enjoyed a breakfast of eggs, spiralized sweet potatoes, bacon, and tea. Most of this was prepped at home, as I usually do, making it quick and easy to eat something delicious while camping out of the truck.

This Tacoma doesn’t look too shabby either, though that morning light was something else.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 03 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We aren’t in a rush, but we aren’t wasting any time either. With breakfast eaten and the dishes put away, we pack up camp and hit the trail.

We have to cover just a couple of easy miles to the TH for the Chocolate Drops.

Before the engines were warm we had arrived. We all hop out and prep our necessary gear for the ~9 mile out and back hike.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 04 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 05 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Excited to be on our feet for a change, we set off.

The landscape starts out mundane, the brown dirt and short, scrubby, bushes fill the start of the hike.

However, out in the distance, we can see evidence of something beautiful.

[​IMG]_MG_3844 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

The going is easy and the conversation is pleasant. The temperatures are in the high 70’s and the skies are clear, though we don’t complain about it being too hot.

[​IMG]_MG_3852 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We originally thought this rock formation was the Chocolate Drops, as the perched rock is simply beautiful, but we were only 1 mile from the TH, so it couldn’t be it.

It was stunning to see the left rock perched atop a much smaller base. We wondered out loud how long it had been like that.

[​IMG]_MG_3862 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

After close to two hours, we arrived at the main attraction.

[​IMG]_MG_3899 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

An impressive formation, no doubt, but it wasn’t awe inspiring, to me at least, in any appreciable way.

Still, I was glad to have hiked out to it. The Maze is so remote that you might as well do as many of the hikes as you can!

We sat in the shade, with our backs against cool rocks, and ate our lunches and snacks from our backpacks.

Rested and satiated, we continue on with our leisurely pace as we head back towards our wheeled homes.

Throughout the hike, you travel along a flat portion of the ground on the way to the Drops. Unexciting on its own; however, just a short distance away, stunning canyons extend far and wide in all directions.

This is just the first time that Stacy and I will regret not packing our harnesses and canyoneering ropes. The Rangers encourage on-foot exploration in the park, as long as you avoid going where they explicitly placed signs stating not to, and where any biological soil may be present.

The trail is easy to follow, and before long we have finished our excursion. Our Tacomas wait patiently as we prepare to meet up with Daryl @Phessor and Alan @TailHook at their campsite.

Some of the most stunning rock formations visible in The Maze aren’t from The Maze District at all, but rather The Needles District.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 07 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We meet up with our two other companions right around lunch time. The Shadow Awn is deployed for shade while we eat, and we all chat about our evenings, the hike, and the relaxing feeling that comes from not having any of our normal obligations to worry about.

Alan and Daryl were able to spot us while we traveled across a particularly open section of terrain, but with no cell phone reception they had no way of getting our attention.

Fed, we fire up the trucks and point them east towards our destination for the day: Dollhouse Campgrounds 2 & 3.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 08 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The trail is easy to travel in most places, with a few rocky sections to deal with, and a good bit of smooth sandy two track towards the campgrounds.

The going is easy, the distance is relatively short, and a few photos are snapped along the way.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 09 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3906 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3907 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We arrive at one technical section and Will @Sixthelement unknowingly takes the wrong path, leaving me in the lead.

In the past, I was one to avoid the bigger obstacles, as I felt like my truck really wasn’t up to the task.

Not anymore! Without hesitation I point the truck directly at the ledged climb and ease my way towards the base.

No fanfare, the long bed wheelbase being the length required to avoid having to bump up both sets of ledges at the same time. No slippage, no drama, just a nice easy climb.

I hop out of the truck and run back to capture some of the action.

Will getting ready while everyone looks on in wait.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 10 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Unlike the long bed, the wheelbase of the short bed requires both axles to climb two separate ledges at the same time.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 11 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

There is some wheel spin and aggressive use of the clutch to get the mighty Tacoma over the ledges.

Brent captures a nice wave in the process.

[​IMG]_MG_3911 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Alan is up next, and he opts for the tamer route on the left side of the track.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 13 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 14 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Daryl also opts for the tame line this go around.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 15 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Brent, as usual, goes for broke. Him, Will, and our friend Chris @chrislefty will always try the harder route, which is always exciting to watch.

Bumping up.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 16 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

That last obstacle aside, we easily finish the remaining two miles to Dollhouse 2, our camp for the evening.

The site is small, barely enough for the three trucks. I back into the only ‘stall/space’ in the site, doing so to give Stacy privacy for when it comes time to bathe later.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 17 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This leaves Will’s truck dead center, and it quickly becomes the official hang out spot for everyone. He has no problem with this, hell he even encourages it, and his massive awning makes relaxing outside very convenient.

[​IMG]_MG_3924-Pano by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Stacy finds a small path against a large rock formation, and it leads us to a very impressive place to sit and look out over the Colorado River, into The Needles District.

[​IMG]_MG_3919 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

It is picturesque, and it is a place that we return to several times over the course of the 19 hours we spend here.

Our thirst for views temporarily satisfied, it’s time for our second hike of the day!

The 4 of us once again don our hiking backpacks and set off towards the Dollhouse 3 campsite on foot.

It is relatively close, so we all chat and joke as we slowly make our way over.

This campsite is much larger, not as enclosed with rocks, and has incredible views. It has plenty of rocks towards the back where you can get shelter from the wind and sun, and it really is a very nice campsite.

Alans truck only makes it look nicer.

[​IMG]_MG_3931 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

The group decides that all of us want to explore the trails around the Dollhouse campgrounds together. We also want to share another communal dinner together this evening, so Daryl and Alan each take two foot travelers on their sliders and we make our way to the TH for the hike.

The hike to interesting rock formations and a set of ruins also includes the trail that leads down to the Colorado River at Spanish Bottom.

Days prior, four of us discussed heading down there to experience the mighty Colorado up close.

However, as the day went, only Stacy and I would face the short, but remarkably steep trail to the bottom.

Brent captured a final photograph before the group split up, Stacy and I to the Colorado, and the other four to the ruins.

[​IMG]_MG_3954 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

The trail down was only ~1 mile, but the elevation was ~1,000 feet.

On the way down we basically ran the entire time, cognizant that while it wasn’t that late in the day, it may be getting late by the time we get down and then back up.

The path is well marked, and any very steep sections had well placed rocks that made sure footed steps for those on the trail. This is a far cry from what we usually experience, as approaches to canyons are never well traveled, and absolutely never have rocks placed as steps along their path.

I didn’t have my camera, but we made it to the bottom and we quickly cover the short distance across flat ground to the river.

We want to submerge our bodies in the water, regardless of however cold it might be.

Only one problem; we are on the side of the river that forms the outer bank of a sharp turn in the rivers path. Meaning, the river has carved away a sheer face, and safe access down to the water is not possible.

We see the faint outline of a trail running parallel to the river, down river, so we follow it, but it yields no entry point to the river.

We are about to give up when I decide to go just a little farther ahead. And wouldn’t you know it, we find a faint trail down a steep embankment that leads down to the river.

It is slippery and muddy, and the silt at the bottom is thick and gooey, but the two of us make our way across the river rock to the edge of the river.

Shoes come off and our backpacks are stashed on the rocks away from the water.

The water is very cold. It is not welcoming whatsoever. But how often do you find yourself at the Colorado, in the middle of nowhere?

With that in mind, Stacy dunks herself first, all the way, before quickly shooting to the surface. I get in, first to my shoulders, and then all the way under, as the cold water momentarily takes my breath away.

Satisfied, we hop out of the cold water, grab our shoes and packs, and begin our ascent up towards camp.

The hike out was relatively easy, compared to many hikes we have done in the past. We once did the Rim to Rim to Rim hike at the Grand Canyon on a whim, so a single mile up a steep slope only has us rest once on the way to the top.

While we were down at the river, the guys made their way to the ruins.

[​IMG]_MG_3958 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We think we may be able to catch up to them, but that doesn’t end up being the case.

We follow the trail, and their footprints, around towards the ruins, but Stacy and I aren’t able to find them. We eventually call it quits, knowing Brent had most likely snapped a photo anyways.

On the way back to camp from the ruins, you pass through a really exciting grouping of rocks.

[​IMG]_MG_3959 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3961 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

This kind of thing is really my style, so Stacy and I have a blast squeezing through the rocks and hopping up on boulders.

A little while later we make it back to camp, where the guys are already relaxing in the early evening air.

[​IMG]LM - Day 3 - 18 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We have a delicious communal dinner together all while talking at length about The Maze, our trucks, and our future plans together.

Tonight is a night for a bath for Stacy and I, so I deploy the new, never-been-used, Shower Cube while she gets all of the necessary equipment ready to go.

She comes up with a great system, so it’s a pretty pleasant experience all in all. The cube and camper make it pretty darn easy to shower effectively. We still need to upgrade the particulars to make it super convenient, but it’s off to a great start.

A bit cleaner, we head back to the group and continue on with that awesome camping tradition: the easy, laid back conversations that stems from knowing you have nowhere to be and nothing else to do.

We bid farewell to our friends as they make their way back in the dark towards Dollhouse 3 and the 4 of us retire to our campers to wrap up the day.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    essjay, 4x4spiegel, turbodb and 7 others like this.
  9. Nov 1, 2022 at 3:42 PM
    4xThad

4xThad Thad

Member:
    First Name:
    Thad
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma TRD OR DCLB; 2021 Blizzard Pearl 4Runner Limited; 2006 Tundra-SOLD
    Tint, DK ucas, Big Billies with Icon springs, SCS S6 wheels wrapped in Duratracs, an iKamper, a Smartcap, martin OR RR, roam boxes sometimes and a ski rack other times
    Rad! I need to plan a trip!

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 2, 2022 at 1:31 PM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    Day 4 – Lost in the Maze

After another night of great sleep, we wake before sunrise up to a quiet campsite, not even a subtle breeze disturbing the tranquility.

We dress quickly and then we quietly make our way through camp to that rocky outcropping we discovered yesterday.

It was remarkably peaceful. The cool morning air has us in our hoodies, and we simply sit there in silence as we appreciate the slow and methodical rising of the sun over the horizon.

It isn’t long before the others join us. None of us are heavy sleepers, it seems, and no one wants to miss out on this view.

This is easily one of the most picturesque sunrises I have ever witnessed. The light playing on the rocks is simply amazing to behold.

[​IMG]_MG_3975 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_3991 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 01 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The smooth, slow sunrise behind us, we wrap up our morning activities with a certain air of timeliness.

We have a lot of seat time today, as we will be leaving the eastern portion of the park and heading up towards the northern portion of The Maze.

This means that we have to traverse Teapot Canyon before the day is done.

After a few days you begin to settle into the groove of operating out of your vehicle, so we are quick to eat, clean, and stash.

The Tacomas are ready for some more abuse. We have three days of short drives ahead of us, as soon as we get to the other side of the park.

We radio to Alan @TailHook and Daryl @Phessor that we are leaving camp, and they meet us out on the trail towards Teapot Canyon.

Somehow, facing these obstacles in the opposite direction, despite the fact that we just traveled them the day prior, is not familiar whatsoever.

Oh well, it’s almost like you’re driving two separate routes!

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 02 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The fuel situation is still going well for everyone at this point. I have added all of the extra 12 gallons I brought into my tank, and my truck is sitting at full as we start the day.

No lockers were used the making of these photos:

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 03 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 04 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4025 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Stacy and I are in the rear of the convoy, and while I am paying attention to the trail directly in front of the truck, Stacy is looking ahead at Daryl’s 1st gen.

Out of nowhere I hear “He’s going to roll it!”

I look up to see a front driver’s side tire wayyyyyy in the air!

I quickly get on the radio, letting the three trucks ahead of us know that Daryl is in just a slight pickle.

He had been trying to climb a rock ledge and in the process of climbing it, his truck had slid passenger, wedging his rear passenger tire down in a gap in the rocks.

[​IMG]_MG_4014 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Inspecting the situation from outside the truck, it’s clear there is no danger of rolling, but we do need to correct the line to avoid any mechanical damage to his drivetrain.

I back down the tricky rock section so that Daryl has the space necessary to swing wide and tackle the ledge from a new angle.

He slides back in once more, again lifting the front tire, before Will @Sixthelement, Alan @TailHook, and Brent @PcBuilder14 get him squared away and over the ledge.

With their help, I get my truck over to the left that crucial foot to avoid suffering the same fate.

[​IMG]_MG_4021 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

One tricky section down, dozens more to go!

We continue our slow and methodical push towards our campsite for the evening, Golden Stairs.

We stop for a brief moment at the only other campsite on this part of the park that none of us stayed at, Standing Rock.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 06 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 07 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

After a quick stretch of the legs, a few photos, and some friendly banter, we continue on with our long day of driving.

Despite the slow miles of rocky trail we need to travel, we don’t miss an opportunity to hop out of the trucks to get a close up of the action.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 08 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Most all of this can easily be done without a spotter, but that simply wouldn’t be any fun, and would miss one of the main attractions of the trip, seeing Tacomas in action!

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 09 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This part of The Maze is beautiful. The trucks look at home in such a place. I know that we all wish this could be what the majority of our lives are comprised of, instead of it being merely a thin slice.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 10 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Perched at the top, watching the highly modified 6MT climb up the steep grade.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 11 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Mm-hmm

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 12 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Nothing crazy, but exciting to watch none-the-less

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 13 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

This is one good looking Tacoma

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 14 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The marks of those less capable are present at each serious ledge. As we continue along, we realize that the trail rating system we studied back at the Hans Flat Ranger Station is rather fitting.

It’s laid out in a way that if you have what they recommend, you should avoid any serious issues. Sure, 31’s and no lockers will do it, but you would have to get aggressive with your driving style. This tears up the trail and could lead to issues with your vehicle if you are too reckless.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 15 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Will watches on like a concerned, yet silent, father.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 16 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We continue on.

[​IMG]_MG_4029 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

This is one of my favorite photos of the trip. It just, fits.

[​IMG]_MG_4034 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Up and over, exposing all of those underbelly bits that keep this thing in one piece

[​IMG]_MG_4038 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Daryl’s turn.

[​IMG]_MG_4044 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4049 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We are nearing the most technical section of the district once again, so we stop to take a short break before pressing on.

[​IMG]_MG_4060 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

There is something that really increases your confidence when you are traveling with a group of well-traveled and well-equipped friends. Being somewhere by yourself can add a degree of uncertainty, a feeling that can wear you out over time as well as cause you to envision disastrous scenarios that will leave you stranded.

However, none of those feelings exist with this group. Not once was there a legitimate concern for any personal discomfort or danger.

It’s a nice way to explore.

[​IMG]_MG_4065 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

The terrain in this section of The Maze is very engaging, never leaving us bored behind the wheel for too long.

[​IMG]_MG_4074 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4081 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4083 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Up and up we go

[​IMG]_MG_4109 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Brent catches a second wave! Man he is quick with that shutter finger.

[​IMG]_MG_4113 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

There is one point on the trail that actually caught one of our bumper caps as we were on our way in. Thankfully nothing broke, which has happened to members of our group on other trips (myself included), but it did make contact.

On the way out we decided to stack a couple of traction boards in order to avoid any potential damage.

Will and I got to work.

[​IMG]_MG_4123 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

It worked well. Not even close to damaging the bumper caps.

[​IMG]_MG_4140 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We make our way down a couple more obstacles as we get closer and closer to the trickiest section of The Maze.

Such a good looking Tacoma.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 17 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Alan getting his flex on a bit.

[​IMG]_MG_4154 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Just before the technical section.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 18 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Just like that, we arrived.

[​IMG]_MG_4168 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We all hop out and survey the scene from this new direction. We chat about the best lines and where the spotter should stand.

Again, nothing too devious, but you are next to a significant drop off of the rocks, so maintaining your placement on the trail is important.

A man runs as the behemoth drops in.

These ledges are no joke, as that Tacoma is on meaty 35’s and long travel. Thankfully, they are sloped favorably, so they do not have any traction issues. Just a little patience and you’ll be fine.

[​IMG]_MG_4174 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

The long boi does the same. This is one instance where the trail limo is at a bit of a disadvantage, as my rear wheels will still be dropping as my front wheels begin climbing out. Again, nothing outrageous, but precise control of the machine is necessary to avoid damages.

[​IMG]_MG_4188 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4201 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

With Will and I across we head back to assist the others.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 19 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

While we were parking, Brent takes a photo of his truck and I can barely get into position before he makes it through!

[​IMG]_MG_4203 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 25 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Will watches intently

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 26 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Alan drops into the first dip

[​IMG]_MG_4206 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

It’s like he’s taking the Tacoma for a walk, a steady hand on the fender letting it know everything will be ok in the end. Haha

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 27 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 28 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

If it fits, it sits.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 29 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Will looks on as Daryl prepares his descent.

[​IMG]_MG_4216 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

More hand holding

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 30 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 31 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A few 3rd gens out in nature, right where they belong.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 20 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

With that first, bigger dip out of of the way, we still have one smaller dip, and the exposed left hand turn to contest with.

So we get right on tackling those.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 21 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 22 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Sitting in it. The exposure out of the drivers window is real, and the bush and rocks on the passenger side do not leave a ton of excess room.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 23 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

As we begin working our way around the tight left hander we develop a simple, yet effective strategy. Don’t hit your two friends standing right near the edge, and you should be alright.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 32 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

A bit of perspective.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 33 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Awesome!

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 34 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Getting it done.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 35 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Alan moves in as Brent executes the three point turn.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 36 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Not a bad view at all as we stand and wait for the others.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 37 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 38 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

Daryl cutting it close in the relatively tiny 1st gen. Those grey smudges on the rock to the left represent the line that most people decide to take.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 39 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

4 down, 1 to go.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 40 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We end up making it through that tricky section without issue. Excited to be out of the tricky stuff, we continue on towards the sandy two track that spans between Teapot Canyon and the ascent we take to climb up to the western ridge of the district.

[​IMG]_MG_4226 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We have encountered a couple of vehicles that act as support trucks for the biking groups out here in The Maze. Apparently riding the same roads that we are driving is a popular trip for folks, because we see them at least once per day.

They’re normally friendly, and we chat about the district before heading off on our separate ways.

All of our run-ins were pleasant, except for one interaction in this sandy two track area.

This area is flat, with the ‘entrance’ to it from the Ranger Station side being higher than the rest of the open area. You can see almost the entirety of the sandy area from this entrance point.

So, the group is surprised when we see a large truck carrying bikes barreling down towards us near our exit from the sandy section.

There is no where to pass here, and the park is adamant about not disturbing any land with a vehicle that is not an official trail.

Yet, he doesn’t stop. He continues on, right at us.

We continue on, as we’re in a group of 5, and he could clearly see that we were in this area before he entered it.

At the last moment he just cuts off the trail, drives up the steep side of the trail (the trail was ~2 or so feet lower than the surrounding area) while ruining the edge, and then parks right on top of biological soil as he watches us go by. I think a middle finger or two made themselves visible to the driver of the biking support truck.

Just a douche thing to do.

Anyways.

We continue on, pretty close now, as we climb a short but steep section of grade, before being ejected along the edge of the cliff to continue on towards the Golden Stairs.

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 41 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

The views from up here, looking down on where we just were, were extraordinary.

[​IMG]_MG_4232 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4234 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4243 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 43 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 44 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

[​IMG]LM - Day 4 - 45 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

We arrive at Golden Stairs in the midafternoon, and we decide to take a short hike along a beautiful rock outcropping to take in the sights from a different vantage point.

[​IMG]_MG_4250 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

[​IMG]_MG_4252 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

Obligatory Michael photo. A trip is not a trip unless I do something like this.

[​IMG]_MG_4262 by Brent Prater, on Flickr

We thoroughly enjoy ourselves at this site. It is wide open, relatively flat, and beautiful to be in.

There is an official hike that starts from this campsite, but none of us are interested in completing it, as we have a very desirable hike to complete the following day.

We have another communal dinner before Daryl and Alan once again press on to their camp for the evening. They’ll be back here the following night.

As we settle down around the Firebox (LPG, totally legal to use within The Maze) we check the weather and notice that things will not be as sunny and clear as we have become accustomed to these past few days. Colder temperatures and precipitation are looming in the forecast for the next two days.

Still, that doesn’t damper the mood one bit. We have plenty to enjoy right now.

We eventually decide to call it a night, so we all head off to bed for the day, grateful that the long and technical day of driving, the last of the trip, is complete.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  11. Nov 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    Parma

Parma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    I do wonder how differently your rigs drive in this terrain vs. mine. I prefer a tent making my load much much lighter.

Stuck Sucks likes this.
  12. Nov 3, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    Sixthelement

Sixthelement Ran over a Yeti once, Texas, never again

Member:
    Flagstaff
    Vehicle:
    JD LT
    I’ve been with just a ground tent. Bed rack and RTT. GFC.
    honestly the GFC is light enough I barely notice it. The old rack with RTT was way worse.
    Plus in the Maze. A ground tent would be shitty in some camp sites.

TailHook likes this.
  13. Nov 3, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    Parma

Parma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Ya, I've been all over the Maze as well and the good ole ground tent is my preferred method.
    Looks like you guys did just fine with the RTTs though.
    Now I'm ready to book my spring trips to Canyonlands!

Durango95 likes this.
  14. Nov 3, 2022 at 1:19 PM
    TailHook

TailHook Oh, what shall we do with a drunken sailor?

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Utah! Get Me Two!
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR 4X4, 2007 Sequoia 4WD
    Bunch-o-goodies
    To each their own...there's no wrong way to get out and explore.

Parma[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Nov 3, 2022 at 1:25 PM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    sounds like a sweet trip. Some buddies and I were talking about doing the maze next year. We did white rim this year and wanted something more remote/less crowded.

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 3, 2022 at 1:30 PM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    If your truck still looks like what is in your avatar then all of our trucks handled The Maze much better than you would have, despite the increased weight.

If the suspension and associated systems are designed to handle the added load, the added weight all but disappears.

In a place like The Maze, there are no sections or spots that are technical or slippery enough to worry about an ~800 lb difference.

Overloaded on OEM suspension? Yeah, you're going to have a bad time. Custom leafs, long travel, massive shocks and quality tires? The bed might as well be empty.

Parma[QUOTED] and TailHook like this.
  17. Nov 3, 2022 at 7:05 PM
    Parma

Parma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road
    Ya, you guys definitely have a beefier suspension than my Stage 1 Eibach and Headstrong progressive AAL pack with 265/75 R16 KO2s.
    That's awesome to hear those rigs handle the weight nicely in Canyonlands.
    I've been thru the Maze district four times and have seen all levels of rigs from stock to way over the top.

MR E30[OP] likes this.
  18. Nov 4, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    chrslefty

chrslefty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Mesa az
    Vehicle:
    01 trd
    Stockish
    Man Brent takes some killer pics! Thanks for sharing the story. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

MR E30[OP] and TailHook like this.
  19. Nov 9, 2022 at 8:44 AM
    Ross4x4

Ross4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Mesa , Az
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Silver TRD Offroad
    Great write up, was like I was there for the whole trip

TailHook and MR E30[OP] like this.
  20. Nov 9, 2022 at 8:57 AM
    MR E30

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    It's not over yet, but work has me busier than usual, so it's taking me longer to complete!

Parma, Ross4x4 and 4xThad like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top