1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lost my master key, have spare but won't open doors.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaparty, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

Well, that is what I thought your meant, as I use the remote to lock and unlock also. Having said that, I have experienced key weardown on previous trucks ..... had a little trouble turning the ignition .... began to use one of the others that I had cut ..... and all was fine once again.

My understanding is that the pins in the lock are hardened, and the key being a softer metal, the key would wear out first.

Just another ones of those things I suppose.

I am glad that it is working out for you.

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    LaPerouseBay

LaPerouseBay New Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    07 dc lb 4wd
    Yes, they program the key.
    Ace takes your master key, drops it in a key chip reader. The machine goes online to look up your chip, then they drop a new key in and it gets programmed. No need to access the truck.
    Ace charges $70 a key. Locksmiths get $110, $150 if you don't have a master.
    I bought some blank chip keys online for $35, but Ace will only use their own supply of keys.
    A Locksmith will probably charge $50+ to program and cut a user-purchased blank.

3. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    DBZ

DBZ Hunter-Gatherer

Member:
    South Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Fog lights anytime, DIY shorty antenna, carpet lined storage bins, debadged, tailgate hoseclamp, DIY washable cabin filter, AFe Pro-Dry air filter, Protecta bed mat
    I too bought my Tacoma used and it only came with one black (master) key and fob and the gray (valet) key. I thought about getting another master set made, but the cost is high. I think the total for master key and fob from Toyota was like $230.

If anyone is interested I found this seller on eBay (Toyota Dealer in Cali) that sells uncut keys for $33 shipped with a dealer receipt. Then you can take it to your local dealership to be cut and programmed. Most dealers will not cut and program your key unless you have the receipt showing you bought it from Toyota or another dealer. I think my local dealer quoted me $55 to cut and program assuming I had a receipt.

You can also find Toyota fobs on eBay pretty reasonable too. I think I have seen new ones for about $35 shipped, maybe less. However, be careful and insure you are getting a Toyota OEM fob and not an aftermarket. I'm sure those are fine, but I like my stuff to match. You can find instructions to program the fob on TW.

Blank key from Toyota Dealer in Cali
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0386838954&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I don't have an example of the fob, but you can search pretty quickly on eBay.

I never had this done mainly due to price. Just didn't need the key right now so I decided to wait until the need arises. I think the final price going this route would be around $120 or a little less.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    tacomaparty

tacomaparty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have purchased 2 remote/key fobs on ebay both were around 5-10 dollars each(used) w/shipping and I programmed them myself.

The ID on the back of my remote reads: GQ43VT20T

To program it I followed these instructions. Might take a few tries, and I found that I had to run through these steps fairly quick, got it on the third or fourth try.

1. Start with the following conditions: You are in the
    drivers seat.
    a. Key is out of the ignition
    b. Driver door is open (all other doors closed)
    c. Driver door is unlocked (other doors don't matter)

2. Insert and remove the key from the ignition twice
    within 5 seconds.

3. Close and open the drivers door twice within 40
    seconds.

4. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

5. Close and open the drivers door twice within 40
    seconds.

6. Insert the key into the ignition.

7. Close the door

8. Turn the key in the ignition on and then off.

9. Remove the key from the ignition.

10. The power locks should automatically cycle once to
    indicate that you have successfully entered program
    mode.

11. Within 40 seconds of the entering program mode.
    a. press both transmitter lock and unlock buttons
    SIMULTANEOUSLY for a duration of from 1 to 1.5
    seconds.

b. within 3 seconds, press the transmitter lock button
    for more than 1 second and release.

c. If the transmitter has been sucessfully programmed,
    the power locks will automatically cycle once. If they
    cycle twice, the remote has not been accepted.

d. If multiple remotes are to be programmed, repeat
    steps A-C.

12. Open the driver's door.

I know this information is circulated in the forum just thought I would post it again so it's recent.

5. Sep 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    tacomaparty

tacomaparty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I made two keys yesterday, it was very quick and painless.

I compared my new keys to my old one and you can definitely see the wear difference. I can see why my doors wouldn't unlock now.

6. Oct 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    Going to order FOB's and try this, Thanks

7. Oct 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    yotagirl88

yotagirl88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kerri
    New Jersey

This may be a silly question, I want to make a copy of my spare key (I have a tendency of locking my keys inside my truck) can i just make a key at walmart or somewhere without a chip specifically used just to unlock my truck? I don't need it to start the vehicle since my real keys are obviously inside. haha :eek:

8. Oct 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Yep. The hard part is convincing the person at Walmart, etc to make the key for you. I had a guy at ACE hardware tell me I was going to blow up the computer on my Ranger with a non chipped key. As far as I know, if you try to start the truck with it, it just cranks over and won't catch, no damage done. Of course, you are not going to try that, so it doesn't matter.:)

9. Jan 25, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    dchaney389

dchaney389 New Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 OffRoad- "Lana"
    I want to do the same thing-- make a spare that only opens the door, so I can put it in a magnetic box underneath, and not worry if it falls off and gets lost. It'd be a shame to lose a chipped key that way.

I had a non-chipped copy of my master key made at a Toyota dealer for a few bucks, but this copy wont even go into the door locks, much less unlock them. When compared visually to the original, there is no discernible difference. Total waste of money. Anyone know what I'm missing? Suggestions for how to achieve my goal?

Products Discussed in

To Top