1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lots of vibe trouble.... suspected from lift????

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dodgeramit18, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Feb 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    dodgeramit18

dodgeramit18 [OP] dodgeramit18

Member:
    First Name:
    keenan
    cleveland, tn
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma
    6inch fabtech coilovers, sound system and a ton of lights
    Howdy, I just recently traded for a 99 tacoma 4x4 with I believe 4 or 6 inch fabtech coilovers up front and i guess add a leafs in the rear, there's no blocks. But my issue that's driving me up the wall is i have a bad vibration problem. I've had tires balanced and rotated, new ball joints on both sides, new wheel barring on passenger side new cv axles and brakes done to try and resolve my irritating issue. Some of the vibe I beloved is coming from the rear end because the pinion shaft has a slight bow in it and also having a hard time finding a chunk for it cause it has the factory e-locker in it. But I think some vibe is from the front maybe not all but I NEED HELP!!!!! It's driving me up the wall, breaking the bank and my spare time working on this thing!! Any answers or help would be amazing and very appreciated.
    Thanks guys, Keenan.

2. Feb 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Drop the carrier bearing about an inch & get back with us that all the vibe has gone away, then beat your head against a wall for dumping all the extra $$$ chasing it down......;)

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    dantus

dantus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96' xtrac Cab V6 3.4l 4x4
    Is ther like drop kit for the carrier bearing similar to a diff drop kit..? ..

4. Feb 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Oh yeah, you can get the cheaper route & get some 3/4" -1" spacers Or spend a little & get a carrier drop bracket thru the forum, orrrrrrr, go real cheap like me & find some 3/4" washered nuts that juuuuust slide over the carrier bolts & put them between the bracket & the frame (obliviously);)

5. Feb 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    dantus

dantus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96' xtrac Cab V6 3.4l 4x4
    Thanks..'

6. Feb 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    TacomaChris

TacomaChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    You need do check all of your driveline angles before doing anything. Just arbitrarily dropping a carrier bearing or installing shims won't help unless you know exactly which angles you're attempting to increase or decrease

7. Feb 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Wrong...

Well, not entirely wrong, but you are being a little too anal about angles,

the OP's problem is going to be right at the pinion flange where the shaft bolts up, this isn't arbitrary, this is experience, I do this all the time, I don't know how many 1st & 2nd gens axles I've dropped doing rear suspensions & every single one of them ,this issue with vibrations after lift have been eliminated by doing exactly what I told OP to do.

With one piece drive shafts it would be a little more critical in regards to alignment, & this is where shims come into play & it would be done at the axle...

8. Feb 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    TacomaChris

TacomaChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    After reading the OP's post it doesn't sound he knows where exactly it's coming from - hence my reply stating not to waste money or time until he knows where the vibes are coming from.

Dropping the CB may fix the pinion but may also increase the angle from the trans output. Knowing his angles will help him understand where the vibes are coming from and how to fix them depending on the severity

9. Feb 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

Nope, you've got the dbl cardan between the tail shaft of trans & the intermediate shaft.

But its not a totally bad idea to know what a proper drive angle looks like

Products Discussed in

To Top