1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud Front End Clunk/Bang

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by js312, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jul 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    js312

js312 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I'm at my wits end with this and may resort to having a shop figure it out. Figured I'd see if anyone has additional ideas first, though.

Truck is a 2011 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB w/ about 85k on it.

When I brake, I pretty consistently get a loud clunk/bang from the front end just after pushing the pedal. Sometimes when I release the pedal and resume coasting it will clunk again. It's definitely front end--sounds like the passenger's side wheel well area when I have someone else drive slow and stop quick while I stand outside the truck. If I stop very gently, it doesn't usually happen. It also doesn't seem related to going over bumps (silent unless braking), although if I hit the brake while hitting a bump it will be dramatically louder than it usually is..

Things I don't think it is:
    -Brake pad slap/shifting in caliper -- Pads are new (Toyota OEM), calipers are new (Well, Remanned but physically identical to my OEM ones--stampings and all), rotors are new (Toyota OEM), Toyota TSB grease on edges of pads, slide pins new and lubricated, anti-rattle springs new, etc. Also have heard this with other Tacomas and it's not even close to this loud. It also does it at nearly every stop, not just when changing direction.

-Axle wrap -- First, it's from the front end. Second, I have General HD leaf packs which are tougher than even the TSB leafs.

-U-joints -- The rear driveshaft is new, front is original. All joints are lubricated every oil change by me.

-Ball joints are good/wheel bearings are fairly new.

I did notice that if I pull the wheel I can spin the hub and when the stud knocks on either side of its hole in the rotor it makes a noise that could be it. I think with a wheel clamped down to 85 ft-lbs (I've tried more as well), it would not move like that anyway. Still, I put new studs on that side and bought a 3rd party rotor to see how the hole size in the OEM rotor compared. It was the same, so I stuck with OEM. I also saw no evidence of damage to the rotor or studs and I would think if it had truly been knocking back and forth at every stop for months it would have worn one or the other.

Is there anything else in the front end that could cause this? I appreciate any and all thoughts.

2. Jul 4, 2015 at 2:02 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Lift the tire off the ground and give a few tugs with your hands top to bottom and left to right. Top to bottom movement would be the wheel bearing and left to right could be a tie rod.

3. Jul 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    No movement whatsoever, but I did just find this on an FJ. Seems identical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aawh9ko8cDU

4. Jul 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I think I might be onto something.

Just looked at my LCAs.

Driver's side:

20150704_171123_HDR.jpg

Passenger's Side:

20150704_171058.jpg

Why so few threads on the passenger's side? Can I safely tighten this without messing with alignment?

5. Jul 4, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    patbegley

patbegley Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB
    Check body mounts.

6. Jul 4, 2015 at 4:45 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I had an LCA clunk from incorrectly torqued LCA cam bolts that occured similar to your description OP , as far as tightening those cam bolts , good luck , from the looks of them I would almost guarantee that they are seized which is a common issue with Tacomas because Toyota installs them with no grease

js312[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM
    ryansr5

ryansr5 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    Vehicle:
    '02 4runner sport thundercloud
    Sway bar link snap maybe ?

8. Jul 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I noticed there are fewer threads showing on the passenger's side because there is a washer there and there is not one on the driver's side. I was able to crank down about a half turn on it. Not sure if that made any difference yet or not. I didn't bother putting a torque wrench on it because with how tough that bolt was to even loosen I suspect any reading would be irrelevant.

Those are good, just looked again today.

Will do. Got under it today and didn't notice anything odd beyond that LCA bolt, but I didn't go and try to toque down on anything else.

ryansr5[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jul 4, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If they are seized they can rotate when you try to turn them

10. Jul 4, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    The bolt was definitely spinning on the threads--not the entire thing. Does that mean it's not seized?

Regardless, it was totally silent for a 10 mile drive just now and I was trying hard to get it to make noise--braking harder than usual, etc. I have a hard time believing a half turn can make that much difference, but if that was it I won't complain.

Occasionally it will go away for a day or so, so in time I should be able to tell if that was the problem or not.

11. Jul 7, 2015 at 5:57 AM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I'm pretty confident that was the fix. No noise since, and it usually wouldn't stay away this long.

Now if only I can get rid of the awful noises my leaf springs make. Argh!

12. Jul 7, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Look at the U shaped keepers on your springs. They are not centered - don't know why Toyota does this. One side is probably rubbing. If so, bend it out a bit. There are other fixes for the squeak, but this is the easiest if it's the cause.

13. Jul 7, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I actually noticed that it is rubbing and couldn't tell if that was the noise or not. I have General HD springs and the keeper is not centered on them either. I tried to spin it with a screwdriver, but it doesn't budge. I'll try bending it out, though. That could be it. I don't think the leafs themselves are squeaking at this point (they have before, but pressure washing followed by chain lube has always solved it)--it's a different sort of noise, but definitely still from the packs somewhere.

14. Jul 7, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I've also had the clunk you are describing and it was the LCA cam bolts. Torqued them to 100 ft lbs (155 ft lbs if 2WD) and it went away.

The alignment tech probably didn't torque them when he was done is my only guess.

Sandman614 likes this.
  15. Jul 7, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Mine too. It took some time to show up since I had it aligned in the winter. But I guess they could work their way loose over time.

I'm just glad it's solved. It was maddening to tear apart brakes every few days trying to figure out what was going on.

16. Jul 16, 2015 at 8:04 AM
    AR31

AR31 Active Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    Sweet jesus I hope that is what the issue is with mine. Mine only seems to do it when I am in reverse and hit the brakes hard- when it lurches backwards, the pop happens every single time...

17. Jul 16, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    you won't believe this. i had a real loud clunck at my front end, driver side, that i thought had something busted up as it was real loud (3 weeks ago). it happened when i braked or hit a bump in the road. my mechanic took a while to figure out it was the rear spring that had broken and it was banging the frame. the noise was travelling up to the front of the truck where it sounded the loudest. so in the end a broken rear leaf spring.

whod'a thunk eh ?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  18. Jul 18, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    AR31

AR31 Active Member

Member:
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    Was able to get under the truck last night and torque the cam bolts down- appears to have been the problem. Most of them were a full turn off 100 lbs, and now the problem has gone away

19. Jul 19, 2015 at 4:51 AM
    nobescare

nobescare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    43.5448° N, 80.2482° W
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner 2WD
    she's all stock
    cool. nice easy fix

20. Jul 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    js312

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Sounds pretty common!

Mine wasn't far off, so I was surprised it fixed it but it's still good!

Products Discussed in

To Top