1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

loud interference on new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by it's in coma, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:07 AM
    it's in coma

it's in coma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    can someone PLEASE help me pin-point the source of this problem.

i install a panasonic strada hu and hooked it up to an amp for the subwoofer and everything was awesome... but then i installed a 4 channel amp for the four infinity speakers that i installed. now there is a "hiss" when the radio is on and in get louder when the truck get turned on. the "hiss" does not get louder with the volume up but if i turn the volume down, i can hear the rpms on the speakers.

so far i checked for any contact with metal-speaker and there is none. also i inslated the rca cables behind the hu, and all grounds are nice and tight.

can someone please help me? thanks :eek::(

2. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    did you run your ground wire and you power wire on the same side? if you did thats your problem

3. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    you need a ground loop isolator. its a little box that plugs in between your amp and RCA's and it cuts out that whining sound. I had the same problem on my last truck.

4. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    what do you mean? what i did was get one of those blocks where the main wire coming from the battery connects to it and then two power wires come out of it one for each amp. the ground wires are connected separately on two different places. one amp is under the pass seat and the other under the driver seat. thanks.

5. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    where do i get this ground loop isolator, do i just ask for one?

i will google it to see how it looks...thanks.

6. Jan 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    also, would i need one for each...so i guess i would need 3 of them. how much are they???? would they connect on the hu side or the amp side?

7. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    we used to call this alternator whine.

it comes from improper grounding.

8. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    the ground wire from the amps are connected to the bolts of the seats...i checked the grounds on the speakers and they are all good. the ground from the speakers to the amp is also good. am i missing something???? thanks

9. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Did you strip any of the paint off to make sure you were making a contact to bare metal?

10. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Doesn't the fact that he actually "hears" the whine mean that the amps have power, meaning the ground is good? I always thought alternator whine came from running the power from the battery along side the speaker wire or RCA source cables...

11. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    yep...

12. Jan 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    cole47

cole47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Hickory NC
    Vehicle:
    Ray of Sunshine
    lift, wheels, tires
    if your ground wire and your wire coming from the back of your radio are to close together it will wine....a guy brought his car into the shop last week and that was his problem....

13. Jan 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Not likely the issue.

Not quite right, IMO.

Yep, that is what we call it too.

Good point

Yes, they have power, no the ground isn't good. It rarely if ever comes from running wires next to each other. Common misconception or rather misdiagnosis of the issue.

I have never seen this be an issue. I am not trying to call you out or say that you are wrong. I am saying no because that is rarely if ever the issue. Alternator whine is typically due to an improper or inadequate ground connection. Sometimes the area that you are making the ground connection to can be corroded, loose (most common), or the paint and primer coat are still there. It is almost always (in my experience) due to one or more of these issues. I have never seen (heard) RCAs running parallel, near, across, wrapped up together,or any combination induce audible noise into the signal.

You most likely do not need a ground loop isolator if you correct the ground connection issues. Also, keep the ground wire as big or larger in diameter as the power wire, make it a common point for all amplifiers and keep the run as short as possible (< 18" is ideal). Ideally it should connect to the frame in a solid manner, or be a very solid point of connection to the body (seat belt bolt is ideal for this). Occasionally, if there is an issue with too much power going to a point on the body, but this is exceedingly rare. So, most likely not your issue.

14. Jan 12, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Yea, save the ground loop isolator for last resort. check all your grounds and if you still come up with the whining then I would go ahead and run one. When I had to run one I bought it at wal mart for like 12 dollars

15. Jan 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Just to be clear, is it a "hiss" like the sound of a snake or a "whine" kinda like the sound of a supercharger? If it is a hiss as you initially mentioned and does not increase with volume I doubt it's a ground issue issue and most likely it is an issue with your gain structure or something in the amp. How did you set the gains?

16. Jan 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I use the gains as a volume control... am I doing it right Marv? :D

17. Jan 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Also did a bit of reading, here's some other things to check:

• Some people are saying that the seat connection bolts are not a good choice (I'd say it's how you prep your surface). I like sooner's idea of the seatbelt since the belt portion and bolt are already bare, so just need to strip off the paint on the truck where it connects.
    • Check your RCAs for proper connection. Seat them fully on the connections
    • Try removing the RCAs from the head unit and turn the vehicle on. Still have a hiss? It could be a bad amp
    • Apparently Pioneers have problems with grounding (might be an old issue, my pioneer was/is working great, but worth noting). Here's a fix for this and some other troubleshooting tips: http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporaryrcashieldrepair.html

18. Jan 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    If you are hearing the rpm's of the engine then it is a ground issue and you have a "ground loop". A ground loop is when your ground is less than perfect and it the amp "looks" for another source for ground and typically it is the RCA's and hence you get noise. Check over your grounds and move them around, back in the old school days this noise was very very common and sometimes tough to get rid of but with the newer gear it is much easier.

19. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    I must have misread the part about the RPM's which now would lead me to believe it's actually a "whine". :confused:

20. Jan 12, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    it's in coma

Member:
    in the desert
    Vehicle:
    06 trd off road
    intake and exhaust
    so i should get a bigger size diameter wire for the ground and maybe connect it to the seat belt bolt, right? i will def. try that...btw bought the ground loop isolator just because i had a three hour trip and i did not want to hear that effing noise...anyways, it helped a little...it is one of those that have a black box with two input and two rca cables coming out, and two brown wires as well, my question is where do i connect those two brown wires...are they just grounds?

Products Discussed in

To Top