1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud noise In bed when going over bumps?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aidenhardcore, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    aidenhardcore

aidenhardcore [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    None yet but soon all black.
    Hey guys i cant to find this but I don't know if it is a tsb thing of not but I have a 2010 dc tacoma and i feel like the bed is going to fall off going over bumps. It make this clunk thing and idk what it is. I brang it to them 2 months ago and they put bump stops but that didn't work. Every time i go over bumps the back bed makes a huge noise and i feel like its gonna fall off lol. Idk why. What should i say to them when i bring it back this week. What would be the tsb for it thanks.

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    jofixer

jofixer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    webberville, mich.
    Vehicle:
    SR5 sport 4x4
    I bought mine used with 98,000 miles on it. I kept hearing rattling in the back. After driving it that way for 10,000 miles, I found that the U bolts holding the rear axle were way loose. The bolts were so siezed it took a three foot bar to get them off and clean them and re-tighten them. Not obvious unless you shake the bottom square plate. Maybe? check it out.....

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Bump anyone

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    ok thanks dude. Ill have to check that out.

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    You can also check the spare tire, make sure the cable holding it up is nice and tight.

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    Reepur

Reepur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brevard, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 RC Black 4x4 2.7L
    265/75/16 BFG KM2 's on XD Hoss's 2.5" lift/4xBillies, OME 885's, Firestone Ride-Rites Desert Specialties UCA Volant CAI Grillcraft Grill Kobalt Slim Line Box Weathertech mats and Ventvisors. DTRL mod. 4 Lo -Trac Mod. Int. Wiper Mod. rcbs204 4x4 LEDS URD Short Shifter Plate Front bumper with Smittybilt XRC8000 winch Body Armor rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. ATO Front Skid Ultragauge BHLM
    Mine does it too, gonna check the bed to frame bolts one of these days.

7. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    just by chance, do you have anything in your hitch? i had a strange noise everytime i went over a bump and realized i had my tow ball in my hitch which was banging around everytime i hit a bump. just an idea.

8. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Had the same thing till I realized I had put my receiver in the drivers side storage bin. Duh!!

9. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    Yep check those U-Bolts. Mine were also very hard to break but once broken, the nut just kept tightening for a little like they just weren't tight enough to begin with. Sometimes I wonder where that Toyota Q&A was... I no longer hear the loud clunk when going over certain bumps and dips.

10. Oct 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Um i dont think its any of them. I happen when i first got it lol. I dont remember having the problem till i got new tires. I had the stock 245 and went up to 265/275/16 and then i think i had the problem. I don't think the new semi at tires could do it. I mean its real bad going over bumps. I afraid my whole bed is going to fall out soon. I just made a appointment for my dealership tmw and hope they can fix it. I just thought anyone new of the problem before i went so i didn't act like a didn't now anything haha. I know some people had the tsb done on the newer trucks, whats that about. Is it something with the leaf springs gone bad. Idk?

11. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Have someone drive your truck over what ever bumps while you listen in different positions. 1 while you are standing at the bump location and 2 while you are in the bed. You should be able to pin point the problem. I have the same problem, I here a clunk when I go over bumps, but I know it's the crap I got stored in the bed boxes. Good luck

12. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Thanks i will do that. Im going to take my ball hitch off and my stuff and see if i hear it but im for sure im still gonna hear it lol

13. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    TacoManJay

TacoManJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Ashland, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Off-Road DC SB
    Bed Mat, WeatherTech Mats, Gator Tri-Fold Tonneau
    OP check to see that all your bolts in the bed that hold it to the frame are good and tight. I know this sounds crazy, but my cousin came to my house one day to drop off some tables and chairs and after we unloaded we were sitting having some beers. His little guy who probably weighs 80lbs soaking wet jumped up to sit next to him on the gate. When he did so I heard this loud bang and I let out a, "what the he'll was that?" after jumping up and down and checking a lot of areas out I finally got in the bed I was able to see that the front passenger bed bolt was loose enough to let that front corner of the bed move up and down enough to make an ungodly racket when flexed or under load in the rear. I don't know how that can come loose like that but his mechanic couldn't find it either when he had it in for a look prior.

14. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    aidenhardcore

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    boston,ma
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd off road
    Wow strange. Thanks for the infor dude. Ill have to check it out tmw when its nice and sunny lol. Its starting to drive me crazy haha

15. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    TacoManJay

TacoManJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Ashland, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Off-Road DC SB
    Bed Mat, WeatherTech Mats, Gator Tri-Fold Tonneau
    No prob man. Hope that's your problem, it'll be an easy fix.

16. Oct 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    samiam

samiam Always here, never there

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Stinky Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR DCSB 4.0 6MT 1E7 Alu Cab
    Workin' on Workin' on it
    I usually get a clank after my truck has sat idle for a number of hours, like over night, then the clank shortly after taking off...don't know what it is, but definately from the bed. I have walked in the bed and heard a slight clank like it's settling.

17. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    I've had 2 in the past 3 years do this. bed bolts loose. Worth a shot

18. Oct 10, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    livel0veryde

livel0veryde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    missouri
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma based buggy
    i have a similar problem but its with a 2000 tundra. iv been all over that thing trying to find the noise, iv done every thing listed above and am starting wonder if the problems not inside the axle or something cause i cant pin point it. interested to see whats causing this problem for you

19. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Check the inner fender liners on the back, on my '06 the plastic "christmas tree" fasteners that hold them in work loose, and they make a lot of racket on the rough stuff. Pushing them firmly back in works for a while, until they work loose again. One day it will anoy me enough for a permanent repair.

20. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i put my hitch in last week. and i went on this service road (it’s a dirt road and it has washed out a bit) today and i keep hearing something never heard before. i found out it was my hitch ofter i got out looked around and under my truck... lol

Products Discussed in

To Top