1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

love 2 surf brackets all mounted up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mickyd9990, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    mickyd9990

mickyd9990 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    just wanted to tell everyone this is a solid product well made and very complete also backed by awesome customer service.. i needed it fast and it was shipped very fast had it in two days from cali to ri..

only thing i would change is to get thule sqare bars instade of the yakima round ones.. wont have to worry about the bar spinning..

to get rid of the slight wiggle problem i drilled a small hole so the set screw fits into the countersunk hole rather than clamp on the rubber exterior..

also thinking about sawzalling the cross bars to make them shorter then flip the brackets over so from the side you wont even see the mounts or boarrds.. just a thought
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    Kings Mid Travel, BAMF bed rack, RTT, dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I was thinking I would see surf boards

3. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    mxnborder

mxnborder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 sport - black on black on black
    DR coilovers AAl 285 kelly safaris lightbar/skidplate need more!
    I don't really get the point. . . isn't that why trucks have beds. . so you dont have to get racks like cars?

4. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    well if they were surf boards, they wouldn't fit... but these probably have locks or something, so you can stop into the lodge for a bite without worrying about your gear disappearing as much.

5. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have a similar setup but its an Inno rack that has the square bars that fit Thule attachments. Reason I have one is sometimes my bed gets full with travel bags and other stuff so I dont have room for my snowboards and skis. Its also good to keep you board from banging back and fourth going up the mountain. They are low enough to where it is super easy getting things on and off the attachments.

[​IMG]

6. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    mickyd9990

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    yes they lock lol.. and its nice to carry the boards and not have them bounce all around the bed while i drive 3 or 4 hours up north.. and i can slide all my luggage and gear under the bars.. really just piece of mind.. rather not leave 4 boards worth over 1000 bucks sitting in my bed for anyone just to pick up and walk away.. at least make them work for it

7. Feb 11, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    mickyd9990

Member:
    First Name:
    marc
    ri
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma off road
    mxnborder wont understand.. hes got the cap on his truck so he can lock it up that way

8. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Likewise, I don't really get the point of bed caps. Why not buy an SUV?

As advised to me in the other thread, you can alleviate the crossbars spinning by taking the plastic caps off the thumb screws that tighten down on the crossbars. They're only held on by compression, so pliers will do the trick at pulling them off.

There's an allen head under the black caps, so you just grab an allen wrench to tighten them down a bit tighter than possible with your thumb and no more spinning.

I went with the "over the bed" rack setup because I didn't want to have stuff even higher on top of the cabin (a la OEM roof rack), and I didn't want a bed option because they rob you of room for other gear and equipment. I have an Access Lorado cover that I'll use when not using my bike rack. Otherwise I'll roll it up and put my rack into place and use the bed under the rack for gear.

9. Apr 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    kramer2k

kramer2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Update (with shameless plug)

After getting my brackets all setup, I ended up only getting to use the setup one time. My wife and I recently bought beach cruisers with fenders.

My setup wouldn't quite work like I wanted it to so I'm going with a hitch mount setup to keep the bikes out of the wind as much as possible and will secure via the frames instead of tires. Obviously you can't secure via the tires if you have fenders over them.

Some pics of my setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to be clear: the L2S brackets are rock solid! It is a quality product. Unfortunately I'm having to sell mine and go a different route. I'm also selling the bike tray in that same thread.

To Top