1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Beams and High Beams on together

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by vegasquarterkit, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Dec 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    vegasquarterkit

vegasquarterkit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2015 White PreRunner
    QUESTION:
    Has anyone out there done this mod with the stock headlight housings and bulbs? My biggest question is how the housings held up.

I’ve seen only a few posts on this subject and was looking for a little more feedback from the 2nd Gen Taco Owners out there.

I drive on some pretty desolate roads late at night and the extra light would come in handy. I’m also on a tight budget so HID’s and extra external lights are out of the question.

As mentioned in the post below, I jumped the two posts on the high/low relay and the mod works. But I didn’t leave the mod installed as I wasn’t comfortable until I get more info or doing some testing on my own.

I have access to lab equipment in which I could do some bench testing; applying 12 volts DC to both the high and low side of the light while monitoring the temperature inside and outside the housing with temp probes. All I would need is someone to give up a used headlight housing “for the cause”.

If someone out there has a used headlight housing in reasonable condition, PM me and maybe we can make a deal.

That is; unless someone else is already running this mod and is not experiencing any problems.

Original Posts:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post666297

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/70955-high-low-beams-same-time.html

2. Dec 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    this^ my vision-x cubes are hooked to my high beams i'm running modded fx-r projectors and 55 watt ballast.

lol when i hit my high beams the light travels way far down the road! and the foreground is filled with light nicely.

i think for what your describing either a set up like mine or a set of light force would serve you well man.

for really dark conditions this is going to be it. the factory halogens are terrible lol and the dual filaments in the bulb running at one time seems like it wouldn't really make much difference. a set of good hid projectors either mini H1s run with 35 watt ballast and or a set of fx-rs run with the 55 watt ballast.

these things pierce through darkness really well and the width on a set of H1's and fx-rs are going to be in the range of 5 to 6 lanes across of actual usable light which is really nice any animals on the side of the road get lit up like a christmas tree lol.

so a set of projectors and a xenon system and a set of quality off road lights are going to be way superior to those halogens man. save up and do it you will love it bud.

3. Dec 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    vegasquarterkit

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2015 White PreRunner
    While I appreciate everyone's comments, advice and opinions:), I think we veered off the question at hand which was "Has anyone done the Low Beams and High Beams On together mod "?

I was looking for answers like:

"Yeah, I've been running the Low Beams and High Beams On together mod on my truck for years and haven’t had any problems.":)

Or

"I did the Low Beams and High Beams On together mod and within two weeks, my headlight housings and lens distorted from the heat.":mad:

I like to hear feedback from the guys/gals who have actually done this mod.

4. Dec 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Darrin,

I did the Brite-Box method from Wheelers after a friend showed me his setup in his 4-Runner. Fires the lows, highs, and bumper mounted driving lights simultaneously when the stalk is flipped to the high beam position and was extremely easy to install. Not exactly an inexpensive D.I.Y. method but simple to do and reduces my concern over wiring mistakes. Been running it for about four or five months now - at least - and have had no problems at all. I live in a rural area and we always have animals moving around with deer strikes being a very normal thing. With the Brite-Box I can see far away with the high beams and still be able to see into the ditches along the sides of the road that the low beams help with.

5. Dec 28, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    vegasquarterkit

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2015 White PreRunner
    My E-mail to Wheeler's Off Raod:

I spotted your ad for the "The Bright Box" in the Tacoma World forum and I was wondering if you have had any feedback using this system with
    2005 and up Toyota Tacoma's. My concern is that as the housings and the lens are plastic, that they would distort from the heat of having both elements of the bulbs on at the same time.

Their response:

So far we have not had any negative feed back. The lenses seem to have no problem with the extra heat. The Bright Box really adds to the amount of light thrown out in front of the vehcile.

Thanks,

Dan
    Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc.

6. Dec 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    vegasquarterkit

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2015 White PreRunner
    Palehorse1,

Thanks! That's the feedback I'm looking for!

7. Dec 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    You guys who have done this: If you think of it later after you have some time on the setup post back with your results. I really want to put some 100watt bulbs in my factory housings but have the same concerns with heat.

8. Jan 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    DeadWeasel

DeadWeasel ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    09 : 4x4 : 2.7L : 5spd
    32" BFG ATs, Removed 2nd air filter, Brighter Reverse Lights, ARE Cap, LED maps/dome, ScanGauge II, zXe headlights
    :popcorn:

Also curious about the 100W bulbs.. Although I love my new zXe's (they have grown on me)..

Products Discussed in

To Top