1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

    You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

    As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low budget 2nd Gen Lockable Bed pocket cover

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ridefreak, Nov 28, 2018.

  1. Nov 28, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    #1
    ridefreak

    ridefreak [OP] Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2018
    Member:
    #270747
    Messages:
    77
    Gender:
    Male
    New Mexico Dez
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB SR5 4X4
    After trolling TW and picking up a bunch of great tricks I decided to give a little back. It's nothing new, a low budget lockable bed pocket covers. IMO the materials used are ideal for this application and really cheap.

    I started out with some black 1/4" marine grade poly in a textured finish. Think cutting board but better, UV won't discolor it. $11 bucks and there's enough to do both covers on 2 trucks.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9GBXJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    4 pack of black (keyed alike) cam locks.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F942S3X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    The poly is perfect for these covers, lightweight, easy to work with, sturdy and the finished product looks better then the OE covers. 1/4" sits flush with the frame. I covered it in masking tape, marked up the cover size a used a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal blade. Cutting was easy and quick. You have to round the edges for a nice fit, finish up with a some sanding, the poly cuts nice and smooth even using a jig saw and is easy to finish off.

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    I had some 1" wide alum that I cut up and drilled holes in. Added $4 of stainless hardware from Ace.

    [​IMG]

    An "S" bend offset is needed to line up with the existing slots. They actually hold the cover into it's recess snugly, tight to the sealing surface of the cubby.

    [​IMG]

    I used a dremel to cut the lock slot. If you're careful and put a slight tightening angle on the slot it's going to fit and hold there securely.

    I put a small dab of red grease on the lock arm, inserted the cover fully into it's recess and used the grease to transfer the arm location to a piece of masking tape in the cubby.

    I cut the lock slot using a dremel giving it a slight angle so the cover snugs down right as the key is reaching the locked position.

    [​IMG]

    This is what the finished product looks like, took a couple hours to make the first one, I could make the second in about 40 min now that it's figured out.

    [​IMG]

    I plan on putting a layer of tape inside the box covering the unused OEM holes, then pouring a little epoxy into the hole's recess from the backside with the tape acting as one side of a mold, remove the tape after the epoxy hardens for better sealing of the cubby. I will also add a drop of epoxy to the allen head slots in the screws holding on the brackets rendering the allen slot useless. It could still be pried off if some lowlife really wanted in there but I doubt that'll be an issue. Total cost $32 bucks and there's enough parts to do both doors on 2 trucks.
     
  2. Nov 28, 2018 at 9:26 PM
    #2
    flyby

    flyby Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2018
    Member:
    #267801
    Messages:
    112
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    very cool, thanks for sharing.
     
  3. Nov 29, 2018 at 3:01 AM
    #3
    Shearboy2005

    Shearboy2005 It can't stay tight if it's a liquid.

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2018
    Member:
    #244967
    Messages:
    427
    Gender:
    Male
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD SPORT, 06 PreRunner
    Very nice.
     
  4. Nov 29, 2018 at 4:45 AM
    #4
    LivinLoud

    LivinLoud Miller Latte Advocate

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2015
    Member:
    #150354
    Messages:
    2,549
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport DCSB Barcelona Red
    265/70R17 BFG KO2 on mayhem wheels, pro grille, 5100s wrapped in 887s, Icon AAL, KC 30”
    nice work! I may give this a go, small DIY projects can be a lot of fun
     
  5. Nov 29, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    #5
    TACOMA2NDGEN

    TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2018
    Member:
    #242230
    Messages:
    1,286
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    Nice and clean i like
     
  6. Nov 29, 2018 at 2:06 PM
    #6
    ridefreak

    ridefreak [OP] Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2018
    Member:
    #270747
    Messages:
    77
    Gender:
    Male
    New Mexico Dez
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB SR5 4X4
    Thanks guys. I think the marine poly is a great material for this. Aside from that, the mod is nothing new.
     
    nd4spdbh likes this.
  7. Nov 30, 2018 at 2:50 AM
    #7
    TACOMA2NDGEN

    TACOMA2NDGEN Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2018
    Member:
    #242230
    Messages:
    1,286
    Gender:
    Male
    First Name:
    ROLAND
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    2010 dcsb silver sport trd
    baja squadron pros
    I just saw yesterday that someone put some led lights in those pockets also. If you did some low profile ones and leave slack for the wire it could be daul purpose
     

Products Discussed in

To Top