1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low end power

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rockinray, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Sep 7, 2010 at 3:06 AM
    rockinray

rockinray [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Halifax
    Vehicle:
    '09 Speedway Blue Taco
    Hood protector,window vents, Xtang trifold tonneau cover, Pioneer AVIC F700BT deck with Sirius and rear view camera, Pioneer 6.5" speakers in rear doors with custom made grills, Inverter inside console with outlets on rear of console, LED lights in cupholder and under climate controls, OEM style driving lights, Westin Stainless Steel Tube steps.
    I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions about this or experience. I tried searching for ideas but maybe not using the right words but could not really find what I was looking for.

I have an '09 Tacoma with 2.7L 5 speed. Even when brand new when you either go to take off on a steep hill or have a load on like a trailer, it really seems to bog down and not have any low end power in first gear. Even when you shift into second gear it seems to really bog unless you get a good head of steam up before shifting. It is like either the engine just does not have enough low end torque until you get up around 2500 to 3000 rpms. Is this normal with the newer generation trucks with the 2.7 or is it in the gearing of the tranny. On flat ground it seems fine but again if you are pulling a heavy load you really have to nurse the throttle and clutch to get it rolling and then it is fine after that.

I used to have an '89 with the 2.4 and never had an issue with low end, I
    know it is a completely different engine/tranny combo but I would exppect it to perform better than it does.

I have not had it to the dealer yet for this but I wanted to know if I am the only one with this problem or is it normal with this truck.

2. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    its a 4 cylinder, if you want power, get a v6

3. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    BritMike

BritMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    10 Black TRD OR
    The 2nd gens are heavier so it's going to feel more sluggish with some load.

Saying that, it's 4 cyl, rev the nuts off it and change to stay close to max torque rpm.

4. Sep 7, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Had no problem even on steepest hill starts with my 4 cyl. Just mash the throttle down to the floor and use the clutch to keep your RPM up. You'll definetly need to get past 4000 RPM before shifting to second too if you want to keep a good pace. It's normal and not a problem if you know how to drive standard. But yes, even with WOT, you don't have much power at low RPM, but enough torque for sure.

To Top