1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Frequency Exhaust Drone

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by leftyj, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Sep 26, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    leftyj

leftyj [OP] Member

Member:
    Chicago area
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma, 4x4 , 4.0L
    I recently bought '07, Tacoma w 4.0L engine. Put in a K&N ram air kit - sounded good when punched. So thought I would up the ante and add a TRD cat-back exhaust. At low speeds and below 2500 rpms it has an annoying drone sound.

Has anyone heard of using a weighted exhaust clamp ( between cat and muffler) and changing the resonance or frequency of exhaust note. My research found that this sound is in the 50-200HZ range that stock exhaust systems blunt.

Any thoughts are appreciated before I decide to put the stock exhaust back on.

2. Sep 26, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I wish the problem as simple to solve as something like a weighted exhaust clamp.

Corvette aftermarket exhaust systems have been trying to solve this problem for at least 3 generations of cars. If the exhaust design produces a resonance, it's highly unlikely to be able to modify the frequency enough to be able to solve the problem or otherwise mask it so you don't hear it. Some people don't mind the resonance. Others have been able to mix pieces from various exhaust systems to solve the problem. For Corvettes, only one aftermarket performance exhaust manufacturer has been able to solve the problem while maintaining a low backpressure, high performance, and good sounding exhaust. Unfortunately they don't make an exhaust system for a Tacoma but take a look at corsaperf.com and you'll better understand the technology required to address the problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. Sep 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The cat back is a negligible boost in performance, if even that. If you don't like it.... take it back off? Just a thought.

To Top