1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Fuel Light - How far can you go?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Negative1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Yea, my first gen would be below the line a bit before it would come on. 2nd gen is on before the E line.

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    yes thank you since learning this I always try not to let it go beyond 1/4 tank.

3. Jun 3, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    The low fuel idiot light is just another useless feature that I never needed since I was always taught to watch gauges.

Since my 87 celica was the first new vehicle I ever saw something like that on, I'm guessing that is about the time that schools stopped teaching that when the needle approaches the E you need to fill up and people needed an idiot light to let them know

4. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Chill out dude, it is just a heads up... lol

5. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:10 PM
    awoit

awoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5
    So when i changed my dash lights to blue i put my gas needle just a little above the point where it normally goes so when i fill up it goes past the Full Line, meaning my fuel needle will probably not go all the way down to the E before i run out of gas. Question is can i still rely on my low fuel light to tell me i still have about 20-40 miles on it because its engaged once the fuel tank gets low, or does the needle itself trigger the light to come on?

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    My scangauge shows 4 gal left nearly every time the light comes on. Therefor, if needed you could go like 40 miles somewhat safely. As said, Chris informed us that the fuel pump uses the fuel to cool itself, so it isnt good to go too empty. I've never tested it excessively, but this was the most i've let mine go:
    HPIM1054_b63b65d1a5efd95c31a24d5ce02576f9bdc97f5e.jpg
    Took the pic at the light before pulling into the gas station and took 19.5 gal at fill up.

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    New owner here - 09 Dblcab longbed with camper.
    Tested 2 times same result. light comes on and I put in 18 gallons. Manual says a 21 gallon tank. Sounds similar to the other posts.
    I am getting 19.5 miles per gallon
    Did not know about the cooling effect thing - thanks!

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    7091 I have tried running it down.. and the most i have ever put in it was 18.5 .. but reading that i shouldnt do that i think i will stop my quest

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    red taco

red taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    La Verne, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Impulse Red Pearl
    Can someone explain this to me? I was under the impression that was only true with Diesel engines. My mom was always running her car out of gas and besides sitting waiting for someone to come giver her gas I never heard anyone say it was bad. Also people racing dirt-bikes that are now injected run the empty and I have seen no signs of this messing up the engine.

Thanks

10. Jun 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    jsut to add my .02, i knew the light was comming close to being on, so i let it idle about 5 min infront of my house, light came on, drove a block to the gas station, to top of my tank it was just a smidge over 16 gallons, so if its a 21 gallon tank, jsut like most dodges with the 5 gallon light, you got 5 gallons left to run to a gas station. ive gone about 60 miles when the light comes on doing 60mph. and made it to a station. but all and all if it lights up, fill up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Jun 4, 2009 at 12:45 AM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    I usually test it out once one every vehicle I own, just so I know. But I haven't had a chance to try it with the Taco yet, since I'm more concerned with recording my mileage right now. I've gone about 40 km (25 miles), and and I think that was cutting it too close for comfort without a jerrycan, but I wanted to wait until 5pm when the gas prices drop for the night. I think I probably could have gotten another 30-40 km or so...

12. Jun 4, 2009 at 12:57 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    i just know that i get at the most 20 mpg so i can do around 400 miles but that starts pushing it and i think the fuel light comes on when i have around 360ish miles so around 40 miles

13. Jun 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    i know I dont know a taco anymore, but in my 4runner the est range in miles you have left or whatever its called. my low fuel light doesnt come on till it says I have 23-26 miles left, but that cant be right since i'm getting 20-21 mpg everytime.

14. Jun 4, 2009 at 4:17 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    It is obvious from all the different answers that is it actually going to depend on a number of factors, so you can not get an accurate answer.

I get roughly 17.5mpg, I put between 17-18 gallons when the light comes on which is usually around 300 miles, which leaves about 3 gallons, I personally wouldn't drive more than 30 miles with the light on, but I always fill up before then.

15. Jun 4, 2009 at 4:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    :rolleyes:

I like lights...all sorts of lights. I like to see them work, come on, blink, BLING BLING!! I do it just to watch the light come on. :D Because I CAN!!!

Who needs gas anyway? I'll just drive till the pump & tank are filled with noxious fumes & throw a match on it.

16. Jun 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
  17. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    stormyday

stormyday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morganton, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Look in the manual at fuel capacity and the reserve amount. When the light comes on that should be when you are in your reserve. I do not have my truck right now b/c it has been in the body shop for over a month otherwise I would check. I have driven over 60 miles with mine on... I wound up putting 21.2 gal in it. I was sweating when I got to the station. That was last summer during the fuel shortage. BTW I have a 4 banger and I get 23 MPG on average.

18. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Rangerpeterson

Rangerpeterson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I've gone 31 miles before...

19. Jun 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well, my understanding is that while it may not totally kill you engine, it will and can ruin fuel pumps, injectors, carburators if its a carb enigne,etc. Think about it, all the grunge, crap and impurities, that settle at the bottom of a gas tank and then your car runs out of gas, it runs the risk of going through your injectors, fuel pump and your fuel filter. yes your fuel filter is responisble for handeling stuff like that, but if your filter gets clogged, then it renders almost usless. So in all, no it may not kill your engine, but it can lead to severe issues that could result in a visit to the stealership and them charging a pretty penny to fix it. hope that clears it up some. :cool:

20. Jun 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    My Scangage typically shows between 65 - 80 DTE when the light goes on, depending on my my mix of hiway and city for that tank. Only happened two or three times as I tend not to go below a 1/4 tank because . . .

The fuel/engine system isn't the only thing; the probability of a serious problem if in heavy traffic and or on the interstate is very high if todays cars run out of gas.

I did not realize how dependent the entire car system is on the engine and the computer until my wifes car run out of gas, this isn't like the old days, BC, befor computers; fortunatly it was in our neighborhood and no traffic. The entire car just shut down with no warning (well the gauge had been on empty for some time and the light was on, and we were on the way to the station a mile away, i guess that is a warning). Amd when I say shut down I mean SHUT DOWN; it was like turning off the key and pulling it out of the ignition. Now this is a Mazda and the system may be differant, but the way it was explained to me is that when the computer senses a loss of pressure in the fuel rails it acts to protect the engine and that is to SHUT EVERYTHING OFF RIGHT NOW. The car just rolled to a stop before you could do anything; It is an automatic so you had no hope from the get-go in any case - it was really scary and enlightening at the same time.

Products Discussed in

To Top