1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Low Fuel Warning Light Question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GuapOh, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    My ranger xcab had a 20.5gal tank, always put in 18-19 gallons (put in 20 a couple of times)
    the taco has a 21 gallon tank and I usually put in 19-20 gals
    so no it's not quite dry but pretty close.
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dan0h/tacoma/log

2. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    bridaw

bridaw The light was yellow, Sir.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SoCal, East San Diego County
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 6-speed TRD OR 4x4 tow debadged
    tailgate hose clamp/washer mod ,disable seatbelt warning ,dealer tinted windows ,running boards ,DiamondBack SE bed cover ,OEM rubber bed mat ,TRD Japan shift knob ,bed rail corner reinforcement with angle brackets+square nuts ,Armor Tech Offroad mount for 60" highlift jack ,Scangauge II ,OEM roof rack ,BajaRack basket ,WeatherTech dark tint window deflectors ,removed mud flaps ,debadged ,stubby antenna ,D-rings - 4 in bed floor + 8 on the side rails ,cut four D-ring slots in bedmat ,secured ActionPacker 48 gal cargo box to bed ,center console lock ,relocated 7 pin harness ,Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite hood supports ,Pop & Lock PL5300 tailgate lock ,RAM A-pillar mounts for GPS and Drift HD170 camera ,RAM mounts on bajarack for Drift HD170 exterior shots ,relocated rear differential breather ,headrest iPad mount ,ImMrYo rear view mirror lift ,Panavise Indash mount ,265/75/16 BFG All-Terrain T/A KO on TKO black rims ,installed front and rear WeatherTechTacoma DigitalFit FloorLiners ,replaced interior/external lights with Jumpers LEDs +switchback mod +under hood light ,installed rcbs204 Illuminated 4x4 Switch ,installed left and right Relentless Off-road Fabrication hood hinge light mounts ,installed KB Voodoo's Powder Coated Tailgate Cap System ,installed front and rear Wet Okole seat covers ,made and installed mount for Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel ,did ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod
    I never park my truck with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I do this strictly for disaster preparation.

You better already have gas in the tank if you should need to evacuate your family. Fire, flood, quake, tornado, hurricane, lahar, whatever. That is not the time to be worrying about filling up your tank. You might not get the chance.

I also carry kits with first aid and coast guard approved SOS water and ration bars in each vehicle -because you might not be at home when disaster strikes.

3. Jun 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I have posted this here on page 1 and in many threads the past year Zach...

So far, the 21 gallon tank has (+/- 0.5 gallon):

16 gallons at the 3/4 full gauge line (down 5 gallons)
    12 gallons at the 1/2 full gauge line (down 9)
    8 gallons at the 1/4 tank line. (down 13)
    4 gallons at the E-LIGHT (down 17)
    3 gallons at the E LINE (down 18)

E line to an empty tank is 3 gallons ('reserve').

4. Jun 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats

You trust the gauge to be that accurate? Not me.

5. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Not in the beginning, but over a year of repeated fill ups (when the gauge needle was at the various lines) proved it was accurate every time (+/- 0.5 gal)!

Then here on TW, others got the SAME results... those who actually recorder their gallons when they could quickly get to a station when the gas needle was on the various levels.

Amazing considering how sloppy other car makers gauges read!

6. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    I love having people in my truck when that light comes on.. im always like.. oh that?? Naahhhh were good! lol...

7. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    oh yeah.. and i love that theres so much left when it does come on... sometimes youre just jammin out not payin attention, or just drivin and youre in a daze or somethin and you just forget to look at the gauge... so when you see that light come on in the corner of your eye.. you may not be near a gas station.. but youre on the safe side cause you still got 4-5 gallons..

8. Jun 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
  9. Jun 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You have 4 gallons when the light comes on (+/- 0.5 gallon).:cool: Don't get too optimistic counting on that. Safer to say you have 3.5 gallons and you sould NEVER run out to empty, never!

Products Discussed in

To Top